Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Even though I have a belly full of turkey and stuffing (thanksgiving in Canada this weekend), I was able to spend an hour or so on the truck. One of my biggest gripes with the Blazer body is the “lip” around the side windows, and the drip tray running too far on each end.

So I whipped out the dremel and attached a sanding drum and went to work. Once I had them roughly removed, I applied body filler all around and then sanded it down to fill in the imperfections, then threw on a coat of primer. Voila, much more scale accurate!
Dude, I want you to do this work for me already! Quit showing off!

Check that, show off as much as you want!
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #62
RCC Addict

Default LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
Dude, I want you to do this work for me already! Quit showing off!

Check that, show off as much as you want!
LOL, thank you, I appreciate the feedback, it helps me keep going on these builds. The funny thing is it’s not hard work, at all. It just takes time, a lot of it!
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #63
RCC Addict

I’ve been struggling a little with what tire to run on this truck. I originally planned 1.9 Rock Beasts (original size), but with the Blazer body being about 9.08:1 scale, they were a little too big for my liking at nearly 40” full scale. I don’t comp or anything and prefer looks over performance.

I picked up a couple pairs of the Pitbull PBX AT Hardcore‘ stock try out:

The height was good and they come very highly recommended, but I just couldn’t get there with this truck having Rock Jock axles - it needed a bit more than an all-terrain tire.

I sat. I thought. I went on Instagram to kill a few minutes. I ate some cake. Then I peeked over and saw my 1.55 Rock Beasts mounted on wagon wheels on my CMAX chassis, and had an idea.

Now I normally think stretching tires into larger wheels is stupid. Don’t know why, just always have, not my cup of tea. But I tried it anyways by mounting them on my 1.9” VP wheels, which I have to use because expensive AF.

And I kinda fell in love. The height works out to a 36” ish tire, which is pretty solid. The 1.55 RB’s are listed at 3.85” but they’re actually a hair over 4”, even mounted on 1.55’s. This way I don’t have to trim the fenders too much, I can mount the body a little lower, and I think they look pretty decent.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

They look good on there! The sidewall profile is still plentiful to not overdue a stretched look. The 3.85in measurement they have has got to be unmounted, no foam. I might give these 1.55s a go on some 1.9s now that I’ve seen it. Awesome!
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Hey, you've been slacking on the updates! I'm ready to drool over the next "Bob" over here!

Looking back at the beginning of this thread, how much of a "body lift" would you need to clear the transmission and/or shock towers?
Old 10-30-2017, 05:42 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Very clean work on that bed. I am going to have to pick up one of those transmissions one day...
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hey, you've been slacking on the updates! I'm ready to drool over the next "Bob" over here!

Looking back at the beginning of this thread, how much of a "body lift" would you need to clear the transmission and/or shock towers?
I’ve been slowly picking away at some body work on this thing, and lost a bit of motivation for a couple weeks. Should have it painted in the next week or two though! This one won’t be the next Bob, that is my CMAX build in the 1.55 section. Not sure what this one will be named!!

I can have the body as low as I want, I had the box sitting on the frame at one point (thanks to the canteliver suspension), but I ended up mounting it a little higher to look like it had a lift and a bit more like a 4x4. My CMAX build will be more of a typical looking truck off the lot kind of thing. As cool as this looked, it just didn’t function with the linked suspension and I didn’t want to limit travel to the point where I might as well had built a leafed truck, which is what my CMAX is. Tires rubbed like crazy, and I didn’t want to completely hack the fenders out of it.

Last edited by LSXGMC; 10-31-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
Very clean work on that bed. I am going to have to pick up one of those transmissions one day...
Thank you, it’s a pain in the butt, however worth the effort IMO. I highly recommend the GCM transmission, it’s a very nice piece!
Old 11-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Progress came to a bit of a halt on this rig, but it snowed a ton so I had some spare time this weekend to throw some paint on the body. Lots of work left yet, like interior and trim detailing, but nonetheless it feels great to have made a bit of progress!

Old 11-05-2017, 08:36 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Paint looks great. Love the color combo

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Rickleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #71
RCC Addict

I typically just paint my beds black, but I thought I’d try something different on this one, so I used some rubberized undercoating as a “spray in box liner”, I’m actually really happy with how it turned out!

And tonight I started on the trim. I picked up some strips of styrene and painted them grey:

And some narrower strips to paint black:

The idea is to make the trim that was used on these trucks, which is a black stripe with grey on either side of it, or a grey stripe with a black stripe down the middle of it. Peanut butter and jam, or jam and peanut butter. Whatever tickles your fancy.

I started with a grey strip on the bed tonight:

I’ll add a black strip to it tomorrow and see how it works out, then I’ll do the rest of the truck. I hope it turns out how I think it will.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #72
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I typically just paint my beds black, but I thought I’d try something different on this one, so I used some rubberized undercoating as a “spray in box liner”, I’m actually really happy with how it turned out!

I started with a grey strip on the bed tonight:

I’ll add a black strip to it tomorrow and see how it works out, then I’ll do the rest of the truck. I hope it turns out how I think it will.
"You're killing me, Smalls!"
This is looking great, man, keep up the killer detail! I hadn't thought of the bedliner approach. I have some rattle can bedliner spray I've been using for grip on different projects that I think I'll try. It's not a softer rubber, but a hard finish.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:23 AM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
"You're killing me, Smalls!"

This is looking great, man, keep up the killer detail! I hadn't thought of the bedliner approach. I have some rattle can bedliner spray I've been using for grip on different projects that I think I'll try. It's not a softer rubber, but a hard finish.

Thank you. It was a risk because getting it off would’ve been a nightmare if it didn’t work out LOL. This stuff hardened pretty well, but it’s got some rubber mixed into it too.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #74
RCC Addict

So last night I glued on the black strip onto the moulding and I think it’s turning out how I wanted it to

Here’s a photo I found on Google for reference:

Old 11-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #75
Quarry Creeper

Truck is looking awesome. I currently have no skills or time to accomplish this; but, this has given me something to look forward to as I get older and get rid of some kids. I'm excited to one day start playing with this type of customization of hard bodies.
powder4breakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #76
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder4breakfast View Post
Truck is looking awesome. I currently have no skills or time to accomplish this; but, this has given me something to look forward to as I get older and get rid of some kids. I'm excited to one day start playing with this type of customization of hard bodies.
My son turns 2 in a month, hence the slow progress on this one! But time with him is always priority over RC's, of course. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

I was terrified the first time I thought about trying my hand at customization, especially hacking a body in half and thinking I could maybe pull it off LOL, but it really just takes patience and a lot of reading, so many experts out there to learn from and most are always willing to help & offer advice.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:08 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Why do you say a cantilever setup isn't scale? 1:1 uses it.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:29 PM   #78
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84yoda View Post
Why do you say a cantilever setup isn't scale? 1:1 uses it.

Yes I realize that, I just don’t like it as much as a standard shock setup, which is what I’d have on a 1:1. Not scale was a little harsh of wording.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #79

Quote:
Now I normally think stretching tires into larger wheels is stupid. Don’t know why, just always have, not my cup of tea. But I tried it anyways by mounting them on my 1.9” VP wheels, which I have to use because expensive AF.

And I kinda fell in love. The height works out to a 36” ish tire, which is pretty solid. The 1.55 RB’s are listed at 3.85” but they’re actually a hair over 4”, even mounted on 1.55’s. This way I don’t have to trim the fenders too much, I can mount the body a little lower, and I think they look pretty decent.
I agree. Stretching tires usually looks stupid. This looks perfect since the Pitbull 1.55's are monstrous. And those wheels are sexy AF. Next on my list.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:40 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I agree. Stretching tires usually looks stupid. This looks perfect since the Pitbull 1.55's are monstrous. And those wheels are sexy AF. Next on my list.

They’re definitely taller than the 3.85” listed on the sidewall! I’m very happy with the wheels. Expensive setup with all the scale hardware, but I really like them. A little choked that the new Axial release has these stock, but they don’t really look alike and these are simply in another league so I’ll be fine. As soon as I saw them I knew I had to have them!

LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCM LRT2 Trans Combo Set CODYBOY General Scale Talk 2 12-14-2016 12:48 AM