Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

I've been waiting for this. For a long, long time. Like really long.

GCM finally released something for the SCX10-II, and it's a gooder. The LRT2 Transmission / Transfer Case combo kit with mounts, steering link and (dual) servo mount!

I originally built "Bob" out of an RC4WD Blazer body kit, using styrene to make it into a K10 short box, mounted on to an SCX10-II frame. My goal with that build was to not modify the chassis if I didn't have to - which sorta worked.

Except for the transmission came thru the bed. The shock towers I don't mind as much, but the transmission bugged me.

I recently sold all my scale trucks, including Bob, to a collector who offered me a very fair price for them. This was the perfect opportunity for me to build the trucks that I wanted. So I've started re-making Bob on a CMAX chassis. However, original Bob worked VERY well: it was balanced, wasn't top heavy, and went anywhere I put it, within the realm of logic of course.

So I want to build another one. This will be a different color, and I'll change a couple other things, but I knew I had to do something differently this time around where the body wouldn't have to be hacked up to fit around the chassis. Enter the GCM combo kit.

PARTS LIST

Chassis:
- Axial SCX10-II Kit
- Full VP Rock Jock Axles w/ Fast Eddy Bearings
- GCM LRT2 Trans/Tcase kit
- Incision Stainless Links
- VP KMC Machete 1.9 wheels w/ LURC scale hardware
- Pitbull 1.9 Rock Beast Tires (OG)
- Crawler Innovations 4.50 Lil' Nova Foams, medium front, firm rear (giggity)
- RC4WD Blazer body kit custom made into a short box K10 w/ front inner fenders
- Hobbywing Quicrun WP 1080 ESC
- Axial 27T motor
- Spektrum S6280 Servo w/ Tekno servo horn
- Proline Scaler shocks or Traxxas 2660, undecided
- Exclusive RC LS1 motor cover

Last edited by LSXGMC; 09-12-2017 at 09:39 AM.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 PM   #2

Default Re: LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

Looks awesome, looking forward to the build..........
crazhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I started by assembling the GCM transmission and transfer case setup according to their YouTube video instructions.

The transmission does come with some grease in it, but I added some marine grease including on the joints between the transmission sections, as recommended in the video, to help with waterproofing. I don't do water, but this is cheap insurance. I disassembled all the sections and applied this to method to each.

In the GCM SCX10 transmission installation video, the SCX10 kit is assembled with a "left drop" transfer case which I had assumed was required on this with the location of the mounting bracket holes. However, since this combo can have the transfer case installed as either a left or a right drop, depending on the axle used and your scale preference, I thought I'd try a right drop (Chevy) anyways which actually worked.

Greased up and ready to rock

The mount simply attaches to the RTR skid plate (included in the kit, remember)

And there are brackets included that attach to the motor plate, which simple rest in the chassis rails. I'd normally questions if this could be solid enough, but after having assembled my CMAX recently which uses the same method, I can say it's solid and there are no concerns.

I'm hoping to get the rest of the chassis assembled in the near future, but this is a good start for me. Thanks to GCM for releasing this awesome kit, what a great scale option for us to be able to run full interiors and up the scale ante!

Last edited by LSXGMC; 09-12-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #4

Bob was awesome! First time I remember seeing that truck.

I can't believe you sold all of your trucks!

This kit also looks awesome. I'll be following along with this build.

I'm just curious. Why are you using such a cheap motor when you're going all out on a build like this?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Bob was awesome! First time I remember seeing that truck.

I can't believe you sold all of your trucks!

This kit also looks awesome. I'll be following along with this build.

I'm just curious. Why are you using such a cheap motor when you're going all out on a build like this?

Thanks - Bob was a great truck and honestly was surprisingly capable. That's why I want to build a second one. I probably would have kept it except I wanted to do Bob on a CMAX and didn't want to have two identical trucks. At least this way I can make it a different colour!

Regarding the motor, for the style or driving that I do an expensive brushed motor holds no value for me. I typically run the Traxxas 550 21T Titan in everything but the scale motor covers are made for a 540 can. I've had Holmes and Tekin brushed motors and although I completely agree that they're well built and very nice products, for what I do I didn't notice any performance changes that weren't completely my mind telling me it was better to justify the cost. These cheap motors do just fine for me!
Old 09-12-2017, 07:51 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post

Except for the transmission came thru the bed. The shock towers I don't mind as much, but the transmission bugged me.

I recently sold all my scale trucks, including Bob, to a collector who offered me a very fair price for them. This was the perfect opportunity for me to build the trucks that I wanted. So I've started re-making Bob on a CMAX chassis. However, original Bob worked VERY well: it was balanced, wasn't top heavy, and went anywhere I put it within the realm of logic of course.
Man, I wish I had known you were willing to sell "Bob." I'd love to have
a K10 body made from the RC4WD K5 Blazer, but I don't have the styrene/sculpting skills to do it justice. Would you be willing to make me one for a stock SCX10-II kit? Just the bodywork, I could paint and detail, etc. The trans and shock towers sticking through don't bother me.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
Man, I wish I had known you were willing to sell "Bob." I'd love to have
a K10 body made from the RC4WD K5 Blazer, but I don't have the styrene/sculpting skills to do it justice. Would you be willing to make me one for a stock SCX10-II kit? Just the bodywork, I could paint and detail, etc. The trans and shock towers sticking through don't bother me.

I had a really hard time letting it go, came very close to not. But the buyer was a good collector and I knew it was going to a good home, and it allowed me to have a fresh start.

This was my first time working with styrene - it's really not that difficult, just very time consuming, hence there's not a lot of money in it. I'll see how the two I have to build for myself go - if they aren't too bad I'd consider making one for you. I will have two spare cabs from the donor bodies that I had planned on making into K10's anyways since I'll have no use for them, someone can use them for a truggy style build. In any case, I'm flattered that you appreciate my work!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I had a really hard time letting it go, came very close to not. But the buyer was a good collector and I knew it was going to a good home, and it allowed me to have a fresh start.

This was my first time working with styrene - it's really not that difficult, just very time consuming, hence there's not a lot of money in it. I'll see how the two I have to build for myself go - if they aren't too bad I'd consider making one for you. I will have two spare cabs from the donor bodies that I had planned on making into K10's anyways since I'll have no use for them, someone can use them for a truggy style build. In any case, I'm flattered that you appreciate my work!

I used to build model kits when I was young, but haven't touched them in years, and I just got into RC trucks this year (my SCX10-II is my first crawler and kit!), so my skills in working with styrene are very limited right now. haha.
I'd really love to have a short bed or long bed version of that body. My first "car" when I got my license was a '75 Chevy Heavy Half-ton long bed, and I miss that truck!

And I'm running that same Axial 27T motor in my truck, and so far I like it. Slow enough to crawl, and a little more wheel and ground speed when I want it.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

This rig is already looking like it will be just as good or even better then your previous rig (Bob). Looking forward to this one.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Default LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
This rig is already looking like it will be just as good or even better then your previous rig (Bob). Looking forward to this one.

It should be a better all around truck with the VP axles and the new scale transmission!

I got the idea when I was cleaning up my trucks before selling them. I had both Bob and S****y Bill beside each other and wondered what Bob would've looked like with a set of Rock Jocks under it.

So I tried it out and YUP

Old 09-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It should be a better all around truck with the VP axles and the new scale transmission!

I got the idea when I was cleaning up my trucks before selling them. I had both Bob and S****y Bill beside each other and wondered what Bob would've looked like with a set of Rock Jocks under it.

You're killing me, man...
I want the K10 body because of the old truck I had. I told my dad about that '66 Chevy Custom Deluxe body, and he wants one of those! I may set that up for him for Christmas, and I will be raiding RCNerds 3D printed parts bin from Shapeways to trick his out...
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
You're killing me, man...
I want the K10 body because of the old truck I had. I told my dad about that '66 Chevy Custom Deluxe body, and he wants one of those! I may set that up for him for Christmas, and I will be raiding RCNerds 3D printed parts bin from Shapeways to trick his out...

That's funny - I bought my Dad a '66 body for the Ascender I picked up for him a few months ago. They're an awesome looking body for sure!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I'm sure everyone knows what VP Currie Rock Jock axles look like and how they go together, but here's some pictures anyways. I assembled them a few weeks ago since I had all the parts, the fit and finish was top notch and no shims were needed anywhere. Diff covers fastened on with LURC scale hardware.

And these knuckles... wow. Very scale and the orange looks great!

Last edited by LSXGMC; 09-13-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I was able to spend an hour or so with this truck tonight, I was really wanting to get the transmission between the frame rails.

First thing to note is that the GCM kit requires the RTR skid plate. For those who may not know, you can see in this picture the difference in the bolt pattern. Luckily the RTR skid is included in the kit.

I was pretty stoked that the transfer case could be assembled in a right drop configuration, however once I held it up to the skid my excitement was short lived. The transfer case hits the skid webbing. Might have been able to figure it out with a dremel, but didn't feel like messing around with it and risk messing up the skid.

And I found out you can't flip the skid either, as the alignment with the rest of the assembly is clearly way off. Not sure if the bolt patterns line up either, didn't bother to check once I tried this.

So I spent the next few minutes switching over the transfer case to a left drop. I hate grease.

I went back and watched the GCM video again and although the transfer case is assembled as a left drop in the video, there's no indication that it HAS to be a left drop. Unless I'm missing something, which very well could be. Anyways, easy fix, and with a centred pumpkin on the axle it makes no difference in the end anyways.

Two screws installed using threadlock, and ready for the rails.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Floorboards and chassis rails went on next. This is SO much better than the kit transmission, I'm very excited for this setup.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I was curious how the shock towers mounted in the front, since the screws originally thread into the whole battery/servo mount concoction. GCM did the obvious best choice and provided four screws and nuts to bolt the towers right to the chassis. Easy peazy, and solid.

I'll have to give the LS1 motor cover a try next and see if it is going to clear everything. Looks like it'll be close but it should work.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I'm loving this build so far.

FYI, the stock Axial 10.2 panhard mount that is integrated into the shock tower is a weak link, I would consider going metal. This is from personal experience.
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:16 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilinvic View Post
I'm loving this build so far.

FYI, the stock Axial 10.2 panhard mount that is integrated into the shock tower is a weak link, I would consider going metal. This is from personal experience.

Thanks Bil. I've considered going with the VP towers, as I've read this mount is a weak link. Appreciate the heads up!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I assembled a wheel and tire to see how it all comes together. I'm loving the scale hardware and these new KMC Machete wheels from VP are killer, very happy with them. The original size Rock Beasts are my favourite scale tire - not a fan of the mainstream 4.75" tall tires, these look a lot better in my opinion. I used .225 SLW hubs and Crawler Innovations 4.50 (comp cut inner) foams: medium front, firm rear.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I was a little disappointed that the LS1 engine cover I purchased from Exclusive RC didn't fit between the shock towers. And that's with the headers off - with them on there was no way in hell it was going to fit. Is what it is - the scale engine cover craze should result in more options for us so I'll try again later on. I never intended on using one in the beginning, and this gives me the opportunity to go back to my trusty Traxxas 21T Titan motor. For the amount I'll look under the hood, I can live with this for now.

LSXGMC's Axial SCX10-II K10 Pickup w/ GCM LRT2 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GCM LRT2 Trans Combo Set CODYBOY General Scale Talk 2 12-14-2016 12:48 AM