Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Thinking of shock upgrade...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2017, 01:36 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Thinking of shock upgrade...

I’m wanting a little more flex out of my scx10.2. I’m running stick shocks with lighter weight oil.

I was thinking to go with RC4WD Kings. But I see mixed reviews. Some love them others hate them.
If I go this route should I get 100mm or 110mm???

Other options?

Or stay with the stock ones and angle them?
Looking for the best option. Don’t mind spending the money. Just want performance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BombShellRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2017, 01:41 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Thinking of shock upgrade...

I've been recently looking into this again as well for my SCX10 Ive run stock or cheap shocks and it's long overdue I ditch them.
It seems overall the majority agree bang for buck go with Traxxas big bores. There are a few lengths available, choosing the right length depends on if you do the cap mod or not.
I've seen some turn down the bodies on a lathe, though I'm not sure if that has any benefit other than looks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Gmade RSD Suspension?
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

For the time being I didn’t want to go with the Gmade option. I was thinking to maybe try out 100 or 110mm and lower CG. To see if that would give me performance I’m looking for. Wanted to see if anyone had tried this. Also noticed not a lot run the Kings. Is that because of price? Or they not that great?

Old 10-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

I’ve run kings and gmade rsd and gmade xd on other rigs, and run traxxas big bores on my scx10ii.
The other shocks have their good points, but in my opinion, the traxxas are in a different league for pure performance. Strong, very well made and silky smooth.
I run 2661 at 94mm length and re-use the stock scx10ii springs (you just have to leave the traxxas collars out).
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have run about 6000 MAH thru mine, and it is clear the shocks are not holding up.
I did have them on the table for a week + with no leaking, but after today's drive it is also clear that there are no oil in the front ones and the rear ones are also low for sure.

I was hoping to get a bit more fun out of them before i upgrade, but it seem like i better get my hands on something new.

I will be sticking to the same length as the axial shocks.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbx View Post
I’ve run kings and gmade rsd and gmade xd on other rigs, and run traxxas big bores on my scx10ii.

The other shocks have their good points, but in my opinion, the traxxas are in a different league for pure performance. Strong, very well made and silky smooth.

I run 2661 at 94mm length and re-use the stock scx10ii springs (you just have to leave the traxxas collars out).

Can you let me know what model traxxas shocks? Or part numbers?

Old 10-01-2017, 11:19 PM   #8
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Traxxas Big Bore, 2661 (94mm) or you could try 2660 (84mm)
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I would second the Traxxas big bores. Although I do like my gmade on my wraith, no leaking so far.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:15 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Big bores all day, I'd grab the emaxx shock set (Traxxas 4962) for $60 you get 8 shocks.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:40 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGenus View Post
Big bores all day, I'd grab the emaxx shock set (Traxxas 4962) for $60 you get 8 shocks.
$60?? Where?

Am I getting worked over in the UK where they are £88 shipped?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I will be trying some Boom Racing ones next. The new Type PB ones.
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Traxxas 2660 for me. Roughly 85mm, which offers plenty of scale flex and lowers the CG just a hair. My truck worked flawlessly with this length.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Traxxas 2660 for me. Roughly 85mm, which offers plenty of scale flex and lowers the CG just a hair. My truck worked flawlessly with this length.
This is what I'm likely to try next for shocks. I want to lower the rig just a hair for smaller/scale type tires, reduce flex just a little, and lower the CG at the same time. With the stock kit setup and the accessories I've added, I'm running a little top heavy at the moment for side hill-ing, but just got some stainless steel goodies to bring the CG down.
I'm still a noob at this, and playing with things until I find the set ups I want for the terrains I've been running.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
This is what I'm likely to try next for shocks. I want to lower the rig just a hair for smaller/scale type tires, reduce flex just a little, and lower the CG at the same time. With the stock kit setup and the accessories I've added, I'm running a little top heavy at the moment for side hill-ing, but just got some stainless steel goodies to bring the CG down.

I'm still a noob at this, and playing with things until I find the set ups I want for the terrains I've been running.

I ran the Incision stainless links, Traxxas 2660 shocks, and a RC4WD Blazer body made K10 with interior so it was heavy. I couldn’t believe how stable the truck was and non-top heavy. Very happy with that setup. That was with plastic axles too.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:40 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

still debating on shocks. i have ordered a shock arm thing that is called lowering kit. but you can lower, lift angle your shocks. all depends on how you mount.

will try this out first before going a different route with shocks.
my stock ones are modified. i have a diaphragm upgrade done to it. and running 30W i think all the way around. its been a while. lol cant remember of the top of my head.

as for weight
i have the Brass Lower Shock Cups, Xtra-speed axles, aluminum knuckles. SSD i think. thinking of going brass now that they are out. and maybe adding brass link mount, and swapping out my links to stainless. to keep it low end heavy. i hear its not good to add rotational mass. i was thinking to run patties. but not sure yet. im getting the lower ready as i will be eventually putting on my JKU hard body on when i get around to building it.

thank you all for your response. i have my eyes on the 94mm traxxas. i do think that some extra length would do me wonders.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #17
RCC Addict

^everyone has to learn themselves that flex is overrated. I know I sure wasted a lot of money finding it out! My experience with 85mm shocks on this truck blew my mind in terms of stability and capability.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:17 AM   #18

This thread cost me money. i have a bone stock scx10 ii and probably 25,000 to 35,000mah through it. The front shocks are toast and the rears are not far behind. (i drive pretty hard and walk on trails to crawl spots so it gets a lot of WOT action.) I'm going to go for big bores or the boom racing. I am looking to be around the 90-100 mm mark. Is it a good idea to get the lift/lower kit as well or rock the stock mounting locations?
Band1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
^everyone has to learn themselves that flex is overrated. I know I sure wasted a lot of money finding it out! My experience with 85mm shocks on this truck blew my mind in terms of stability and capability.
What 85mm shocks are you running? By now I would've thought the word on flex was out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
geauxktm, is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

What's everyone using for springs on the TRX big bores that fit?
bilinvic is offline   Reply With Quote

Thinking of shock upgrade... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock upgrade? SerpentCT4S Axial SCX10 II 23 06-16-2016 03:24 PM
Shock upgrade RCompensated21 Vaterra Ascender 1 10-26-2015 11:31 AM
Shock upgrade 2HicksRC Axial SCX-10 3 02-17-2014 08:40 AM
Shock upgrade? devious Redcat Crawlers 9 12-18-2012 08:39 PM
AX-10 Shock upgrade. calikingcrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 05-15-2009 04:37 AM