Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: How to get rid of slop in axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Exclamation How to get rid of slop in axles?

I'm still using the stock cvds and lockers that came with my kit but have noticed quite a bit of slop (Wheel rotation without gear engagement). What's the best way to at least reduce it? I know VP makes an aftermarket locker. Does anyone know if that makes much difference?
maverick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: How to get rid of slop in axles?

You need to figure out where it's coming from. If the lockers fit tight then a new locker will have zero effect on the problem. My guess would be slop between the pinion and spur inside the diff, requiring some shims. You can add 1mm shims one at a time, testing until it locks and then remove one shim. But I suppose the problem could also be farther up the chain, like in the tranny.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:15 AM   #3
Yashua

^^^^&^, what he said.
Our little trucks always have "little" issues, when we fix it we learn something .
Bob
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
You need to figure out where it's coming from. If the lockers fit tight then a new locker will have zero effect on the problem. My guess would be slop between the pinion and spur inside the diff, requiring some shims. You can add 1mm shims one at a time, testing until it locks and then remove one shim. But I suppose the problem could also be farther up the chain, like in the tranny.
That's a good point. Took another look at the problem and this time, I held the left wheel steady then turned the right wheel and there was still a lot of slop. Would you agree this means that most (if not all) of the slop is coming from the diff locker itself? Of course, even if my assumption is correct, the slop could still be either from the diff locker hole being too large, or the axle shaft being too small.
maverick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick67 View Post
That's a good point. Took another look at the problem and this time, I held the left wheel steady then turned the right wheel and there was still a lot of slop. Would you agree this means that most (if not all) of the slop is coming from the diff locker itself? Of course, even if my assumption is correct, the slop could still be either from the diff locker hole being too large, or the axle shaft being too small.
I'm not sure, but I just checked my Scx10 og and it's got slop front and rear.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
That slop would most likely be where the shafts go into the lockers, but up front the universals also tend to get a bit sloppy. In my experience, aftermarket lockers will fit tight for a bit but will eventually develop slop as well.

My comp rig has quite a bit of runtime on it. It has big tires, its overdriven with brushless power, and I have it steering about as far as it will turn before the tires hit the links. The universals are very sloppy but I have had no breakage. I'll be swapping them out before the next season starts just to be safe though.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm still using the stock cvds and lockers that came with my kit but have noticed quite a bit of slop (Wheel rotation without gear engagement). What's the best way to at least reduce it? I know VP makes an aftermarket locker. Does anyone know if that makes much difference?
I had the same issue. I found several factors played a role in the slop. First was to replace the lockers with locked up FI spools. Next I replaced the rear shafts with OT shafts. I had to sand them with 200 grit and press them in. Next I shimmed up the gears inside the pumpkin. It took one .5mm shim to push the ring gear tighter into the pinion. Perfect mesh and zero slop in the rear.

The fronts got the lockers and that's it. The stock vvds was tight and the diff would not accept a shim. It made the gears too tight. Finally I always run a single 1mm shimm on the outside of the pumpkin between the pinion bearing and the driveshaft. When I was done, there was virtually zero slop from the front to rear tire and zero side to side.

I never found a great replacement universal for the front so I kept it stock.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote

How to get rid of slop in axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slop in axles, are they not locked realsickclown Axial Wraith 3 08-07-2013 04:47 PM
Slop in Super Bully axles.. bpd964 RC4WD Bully 33 06-18-2011 12:58 PM
Anyone know how to get rid of slop? Donkeykicker Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 8 02-13-2011 02:45 AM
Thinking of getting rid of my moa kit and axles dustin keeler Team Losi Comp Crawler 23 11-24-2009 02:33 PM
Anyone have a couple broken inner axles they want rid of? roktoy Tamiya TLT Crawlers 0 09-25-2006 10:41 PM