Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: So What Do We Think? Beef Tubes Wide XR Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default So What Do We Think? Beef Tubes Wide XR Mod

Picked these up on impulse, for no reason other than curiosity, and have just rolled with it. I don't feel the 10.2 requires the steering improvement that this mod comes with as did the V1. As for the wider stance, from the running I've done with the rig (which is far less than many if you dudes have), I have not felt that it truly needs any added stability. So again, this has been a "why not?" sorta project.

The mod is not the simplest, required some brain storming, but is by no means out of reach of all the talent I've seen on this forum.

Beef Tubes states that these are "Stock XR" width. So all of the normal SCX10 Wide XR Mod components should jive. I have never done this mod on the V1, But I suspect that this new V2 setup from Beef Tubes might be just a tad wider.

I went with a VP Wraith Stage One kit for the Knuckles, Chubs and Lockouts.

For the Front , the Axial XR Universals (AX30563) did the trick, though the flat portions on the inboard side of the axles that insert into the locker were too short, and required some extension outboard to fully fit into the locker, grinding about 1/8" up the shaft on both sides.

Next problem to solve was the axle panhard mount. I'm currently trying a VP Wraith Panhard setup. It's pretty big, but the geometry might jive with the other Wraith parts. It clamps to a Wraith axle, so the required OD of the axle is much bigger than the AR44 - a quick custom brass clamping ring to go between then Beef Tube and the PH mount, and it's stuck good. This requires disassembly/removal of the Beef Tube from the axle housing.

For the Rear, as rear XR10 Axles (AX30758 ) are a myth nowadays, I had to look else where. Custom shafts were not really in my budget, so for less than $40 for two pairs, I got some Wraith Rear Straight Axles (AX30776), cut the long ones to length, and ground the inserts for the locker - the job lacks some perfection in looks and absolute centering, but I think it'll do the trick for now.

Here's where the suspected slight extra width of the Beef Tubes 10.2 axle housing became important. The Wide XR Mod for the V1 calls for either the 110mm shaft or the 117mm shaft from the Axial set, depending on the gear you choose. My math led me to believe even the 117mm would be too short, leaving almost a 10mm gap between the shafts inside the locker, with very little for the locker to bite.

I cut my shafts to about 121mm, and have plenty of shaft inserted into that b*tch to work (pistachio).

So, how does it look? Too wide? Just right? I think it's pretty ok for the Cherokee body. For others, we'll see.

Just need to fab up some links for the front and we'll hit the rocks.

Last edited by Pushjerk; 08-22-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Pushjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: So What Do We Think? Beef Tubes Wide XR Mod

Photos fixed

As it is, it is pretty straight forward. If it's desired, I'd be happy to go further in depth on steps with photos.

Last edited by Pushjerk; 08-22-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think they would be great for a Class 3 truck that has a custom cage setup or something like that
redemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 06:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redemon View Post
I think they would be great for a Class 3 truck that has a custom cage setup or something like that

I'm no super spun up on SORRCA rules and Classes and such, nor do I have the Comps in my sights, but just out of curiosity would a modification like this eliminate an SCX10 II from Class 2 at a SORRCA event? Was perusing the 2017 rules and didn't read any mention of width, tire extension (outside walls) past body, etc. Only mention of width I read was with regard to gates.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushjerk View Post
I'm no super spun up on SORRCA rules and Classes and such, nor do I have the Comps in my sights, but just out of curiosity would a modification like this eliminate an SCX10 II from Class 2 at a SORRCA event? Was perusing the 2017 rules and didn't read any mention of width, tire extension (outside walls) past body, etc. Only mention of width I read was with regard to gates.
Its fine as long as the body is a least as wide as the inside of the tires. That's the stipulation for a C2 rig.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Does the stock ar44 c-hubs fit the xr width axle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:58 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Per the Beef Tubes product page, the tube in the axle housing "has splined ends which will except Wraith/XR chubs and knuckles."

I'm using a VP Wraith Stage One kit on mine.

Last edited by Pushjerk; 10-02-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushjerk View Post
The only width requirement is for Class 1 and it is in relation to how far the tires stick out from the side of the body.

One thing to keep in mind is that gates for Class 2 can be as narrow as 12" (vs 13" for Class 3) so the extra width could make some gates even more challenging.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #9

Could you by chance link me those shocks?
jksquires43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The only width requirement is for Class 1 and it is in relation to how far the tires stick out from the side of the body.

One thing to keep in mind is that gates for Class 2 can be as narrow as 12" (vs 13" for Class 3) so the extra width could make some gates even more challenging.
Thanks for the explanation, Col Sanders. I measured a while back, and looked like I was just around 11 1/4 inches. Should call for some pretty precise driving.

Jksquires, the Shocks are the Boom Racing G6 shocks. I'm not 100% sold on them yet. They sure look cool, though.

Boomerang
Old 11-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #11

So will the xr10 Currie axle shafts work for the back axel?
Billton is offline   Reply With Quote