Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Alex's JeepSpeed Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #1

Default Alex's JeepSpeed Build

Well, I'm starting this thread to track the progress on my Jeep Build. I'm using Evo 1 as my inspiration for this build. Not going for an exact replica, but using some ideas from it.

So here we go!

up first for me was the battery tray. Used a Savox servo. Found out later you have to shim these higher on the chassis for the panhard bar to clear. I just moved the included wire clips from on top to under the servo.

Then the axles

Then somehow magically it ended up here...

I fitted the Rubicon body from my original SCX. Thankfully, Axial included body mounts to do this. The stock mounts from the 1st gen won't work since the shock towers are located differently. You have to use the off set mounts in the kit. I then fitted my Axial beadlocks to the BFG tires. Also, the Rubicon bumpers are not compatible with the XJ bumper mounts. You have to swap everything over.

Overall, the build went very well and I still have a lot of work to do. I still need to work out a wobbly spur gear and gear ratios for racing. I fitted my Tekin RS gen 2 and a 17.5t brushless from my buggy for now. Will probably get replaced with a Roc412 later. More updates to come!

Edit: Here is the current stat sheet 11/8/17
Axial SCX10 II Kit
ESC: Castle Mamba X
Motor: Castle 4600KV Sensored
Servo: Savox SW-1210SG
Axles: AR44 Stock
Wheels: SSD Assassin 1.9
Foams: Stock
Tires: SCXII BFG All Terrains
Front Shocks: TLR 22 Buggy Rear shocks, yellow spring, 30wt 1.6 piston, most aft top mount hole
Rear Shocks: 30 wt stock springs most fwd position.

Last edited by NightJeep; 11-08-2017 at 10:02 AM.
NightJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #2

Default Re: Alex's JeepSpeed Build

I installed a set of black Axial beadlocks and took it out to a camping this week. This rig works awesome! Front shocks seem a little stiff. Going to try lighter shock oil. I've also cut a trimmed the Cherokee body, should get painted this weekend.

Old 08-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Im interested to see how those gears hold up from to much speed
HARDRIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:40 PM   #4

This project was in hibernation for a while, but it's back on the workbench now!

Old 12-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #5

Default Jeep XJ Build

Made a little progress on the Jeep. Finished fitting the body then put on a fresh coat of silver paint!

Old 12-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #6

I received a couple parts in the mail the other day! Time to repair my stripped servo and give the rig a little color.

I'll walk through repairing the servo. Here is what I'm starting with. I have a Hitec 646WP servo that was working great until I took a long tumble down a steep hill....twice. So now I get to pay for that mistake haha Here you can see the top gear that stripped out a few teeth

This is the first time I've torn apart a servo, so I laid out all the gears in the order I took them off, then laid out all the new gears right below them so help me get them back in the right order. Note - On the large servo gear to the left (top pic), take note of the stud on the left side of it. It will need to go back in the same spot for proper operation.

After you get the servo back together, add a little grease to the gears and close it up. Give it a little ops test before you install it to make sure if works right. I cleaned up the left over gears that were still good and put them in my spares box.

Now that everything is working great, I can move on to the wheels!

Last edited by NightJeep; 12-27-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:44 AM   #7

Now I get to put the wheels together. I ordered these Gearhead Yellow style #1 beadlock rings for the Axial beadlocks. Very easy install. Just remove the old and install the new. They include hardware, but I kept with the stock because I prefer the black to stainless look. I also don't like using the tiny allen wrenches. Here at the pictures.

There is about a 6oz weight difference between the Axial and Gearhead rings. Should help keep the rotating mass down a little.

And installed they look great against the silver paint! I'm happy with how they turned out!

Here's something else I did. I originally drilled the holes in the body to mount it to my SCX v1. Well it turns out that the v1 tall body mount and v2 tall body mount are not the same width apart where they go through the body. So what I did was take two of the left over screw on body post holders and attach them to the stock body mounts. Now I can switch between my XJ and Rubicon body just by pulling the pins for the tall body post pins.

Last edited by NightJeep; 12-27-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #8

I installed the Axial JCROffroad spare tire carrier yesterday. The install was very easy and looks great on this XJ! Since there's only two screws attaching it to the bumper, I can remove it quickly on race days. Axial included plenty of other mounting holes, so there will be a few additional accessories in the future. This adds quite a bit of weight far back from the rear shocks. You'll have to add several turns to your shock collars to get your ride height back.

I also made a CB antenna. I just took an old antenna tube and mounted it inside a spring that was holding an allen wrench to a ring. Works perfect.

Last edited by NightJeep; 01-08-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:41 AM   #9

I decided to make my original SCX my JeepSpeed instead of my II, so I swapped the wheels over to it. I've been enjoying how well this XJ performs out of the box!

Old 11-08-2017, 10:22 AM   #10

I decided to start using my SCXII as my racer again and letting my other SCX go so I can pick up something for the 2.2 class.

I did pick up some aluminum wheels off a local Facebook group for a decent deal. I like the looks.

Here's how it currently sits

I also fitted some TLR 22 rear shocks to the front. They are the exact same length as stock, but big bore and easier to adjust. Going to play with springs and pistons next time I'm at the track.

Last edited by NightJeep; 11-08-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:39 AM   #11

I picked up a set of 4 SSD +3mm width wheel hubs with brake rotors. The fit an finish on these is excellent and I really like the way they look. It makes the Jeep slightly wider for better handling without looking unrealistic.

Don't mind the dirt, it was raining pretty good during the last U4 race.

Tags
axial, cherokee, jeep, rubicon, scx10ii

Alex's JeepSpeed Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
John's Jeepspeed build common rock crawler 1.5 Scale Rigs 1 12-16-2015 12:38 PM
Alex's berg take I AlexG EnRoute Berg 195 06-07-2014 07:09 AM
Scale 3700 Jeepspeed build creepster 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 04-05-2014 08:22 AM
Alex's first ever crawler build axeten Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 03-24-2010 08:24 PM