Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Parting Gearbox and T case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Parting Gearbox and T case

I want to move my motor and gearbox further to the front, but i will have to leave the T case behind where it sit normally.

So i have been looking at the manual and i feel pretty good about being able to split the 2 and put a driveshaft in between to cover the hole.

I will also try to lower the motor & gearbox some to get COG lower, but i have not looked too deep into this yet.

Just want to hear if any of you guys think i am about to ruin my car or it can be done ??

For the job i will get a new T case ( ALU ) and internals for it, and to cut the connection i will have to get a spare bottom shaft for the gear box as i dont think i will be able to cut it right in the middle between the 2 and then have enough to spare to install a driveshaft on.
Will be working on my one and only daily driver, so will have to line parts up first, then hit my former employers workshop to be sure i have the tools i need to pull this off.

SO what YA think ? go or no go,,,, if no go reason will be appreciated.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Parting Gearbox and T case

I have torn the trans and transfer case in two and I think it can be done, but there will have to be a new shaft to replace the one that was in the transfer case like you said, and it will require some cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I am actually planning on putting yet another bearing in the gearbox in the part the T case slide into when you bolt the 2 together.

Not quite sure if it is needed, but it should be no problem doing that.

On the T case i will cut off the part that slide into the gearbox or maybe beef it up with a extra bearing too, if there are room for it then why not beef up a little.
And if needed i will fab some kind of bracket to retain the bearing on the gearbox side of the input axle if it are not secured as is.
plus i want the T case to be nice watertight or at least as good as it already are.

Going for a drive Tuesday, and when i get home i will have a closer look at the 2 parts to make sure there are no surprises lurking.

I will probably also lay down the T case more, at least that's in the back of my mind too, but i am not 100% if its actually needed.

Main reasoning are shifting weight forward and if possible also lower, and get out of the box cuz i like to be out there.

Last edited by Peaker; 10-28-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I had thought of doing something similar to this for my gen 1 scx10 using the stock trans and scx10 2 transfer case. I was also thinking of a bearing where needed, and the connecting driveshaft between the transmission and transfer case should hold the bearings in place. I'd love to be out of the box...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

Parting Gearbox and T case - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GIVEAWAY-Cold Case, CRT 1.5 Transfer Case Crawln Coles Scale Accessories 215 02-02-2009 03:31 PM