Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

Im wanting to put 2.2 wheels on my rig with 1.9 tires got a dumb question does it make the tires balloon to much and how much height if any do ya loose? Please post pics of your 2.2 with 1.9. TY
Big Sky Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky Crawler View Post
Im wanting to put 2.2 wheels on my rig with 1.9 tires got a dumb question does it make the tires balloon to much and how much height if any do ya loose? Please post pics of your 2.2 with 1.9. TY

It really depends on the diameter of tire you plan on using. Below are some of my pictures with the 2.2 wheels utilizing a 1.9-4.35in. Pro-Line TSL and another picture of the same wheels with a larger 1.9-4.74Pro-Line Hyrax.

Here’s a 1.9 wheel with a 1.9-4.35 tire in rear and a 2.2 wheel with a 1.9-4.74 tire in front.

The tricky thing with doing this in my experience, is how much the sidewall is going to fold while side-hilling. You definitely want to avoid as much of that as you can, and the solution is proper foams. I never asked the foam company “Crawler Innovations” what foam to use while using the 2.2/1.9 stretch, though I probably should in the future. Definitely tell him the exact sizes of wheel and tire specs including width and diameter. In the meantime I made my own foams and so far they’ve been doing great, but I know there’s gotta be room for improvement. It can be done, best of luck!

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 11-17-2017 at 11:45 PM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post

The tricky thing with doing this in my experience, is how much the sidewall is going to fold while side-hilling. You definitely want to avoid as much of that as you can, and the solution is proper foams. I never asked the foam company “Crawler Innovations” what foam to use while using the 2.2/1.9 stretch, though I probably should in the future. Definitely tell him the exact sizes of wheel and tire specs including width and diameter. In the meantime I made my own foams and so far they’ve been doing great, but I know there’s gotta be room for improvement. It can be done, best of luck!
Ingenious

What a good news MattySlimz1987, I Never know 1.9 tires can be installed to 2.2 wheels. Got to test mine.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #4

I have the hyrax 1.9s on 2.2 as well with ci 5" dual stage foams. I love tithe setup, the only issue is the tread seems to "dance" back and forth on the wheel. this hasn't been a hinderance that I've seen just an observation.
KikRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #5

I have 2.2 Method wheels with 1.9 Hyrax. The RC store made the install sound a bit easier than it actually was... but I'm happy with how it turned out. The tire 'ballooning' is a minor issue but seems to come and go randomly. The performance of the truck hasn't been negatively effected that I can see.

Odier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:49 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Ingenious

What a good news MattySlimz1987, I Never know 1.9 tires can be installed to 2.2 wheels. Got to test mine.

Of course ya can, go for it! Only difficulties I’ve ever experienced was mounting tires to Rc4wd beadlocks on a fellow crawlers rig. Please post pictures for us to see the results. :thumbsup:
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote