Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II
Loading

Notices

Thread: 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Great Falls Mt
Posts: 59
Default 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

Im wanting to put 2.2 wheels on my rig with 1.9 tires got a dumb question does it make the tires balloon to much and how much height if any do ya loose? Please post pics of your 2.2 with 1.9. TY
Big Sky Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 560
Default 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky Crawler View Post
Im wanting to put 2.2 wheels on my rig with 1.9 tires got a dumb question does it make the tires balloon to much and how much height if any do ya loose? Please post pics of your 2.2 with 1.9. TY

It really depends on the diameter of tire you plan on using. Below are some of my pictures with the 2.2 wheels utilizing a 1.9-4.35in. Pro-Line TSL and another picture of the same wheels with a larger 1.9-4.74Pro-Line Hyrax.


Here’s a 1.9 wheel with a 1.9-4.35 tire in rear and a 2.2 wheel with a 1.9-4.74 tire in front.


The tricky thing with doing this in my experience, is how much the sidewall is going to fold while side-hilling. You definitely want to avoid as much of that as you can, and the solution is proper foams. I never asked the foam company “Crawler Innovations” what foam to use while using the 2.2/1.9 stretch, though I probably should in the future. Definitely tell him the exact sizes of wheel and tire specs including width and diameter. In the meantime I made my own foams and so far they’ve been doing great, but I know there’s gotta be room for improvement. It can be done, best of luck!

Last edited by MattySlimz1987; 11-17-2017 at 11:45 PM.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: 1972 born Christian, Chinese.
Posts: 1,321
Default Re: 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post

The tricky thing with doing this in my experience, is how much the sidewall is going to fold while side-hilling. You definitely want to avoid as much of that as you can, and the solution is proper foams. I never asked the foam company “Crawler Innovations” what foam to use while using the 2.2/1.9 stretch, though I probably should in the future. Definitely tell him the exact sizes of wheel and tire specs including width and diameter. In the meantime I made my own foams and so far they’ve been doing great, but I know there’s gotta be room for improvement. It can be done, best of luck!
Ingenious

What a good news MattySlimz1987, I Never know 1.9 tires can be installed to 2.2 wheels. Got to test mine.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30
Default Re: 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

I have the hyrax 1.9s on 2.2 as well with ci 5" dual stage foams. I love tithe setup, the only issue is the tread seems to "dance" back and forth on the wheel. this hasn't been a hinderance that I've seen just an observation.
KikRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 5
Default Re: 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

I have 2.2 Method wheels with 1.9 Hyrax. The RC store made the install sound a bit easier than it actually was... but I'm happy with how it turned out. The tire 'ballooning' is a minor issue but seems to come and go randomly. The performance of the truck hasn't been negatively effected that I can see.


Odier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:49 AM   #6
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 560
Default Re: 2.2 rims with 1.9 tires ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
Ingenious



What a good news MattySlimz1987, I Never know 1.9 tires can be installed to 2.2 wheels. Got to test mine.


Of course ya can, go for it! Only difficulties I’ve ever experienced was mounting tires to Rc4wd beadlocks on a fellow crawlers rig. Please post pictures for us to see the results. :thumbsup:
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com