Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10ii RTR Weak Points and Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default Axial SCX10ii RTR Weak Points and Suggestions

Hey everyone. Newbie here. I even noobed up my screen name which was supposed to be Pwny Danza but I got autocorrects to Pant Danza. Can any mod fix? If not then Pant it is.

Anyhow. I’m fairly new to RC, I have a brushed rustler, a yeti, and just recently picked up the SX10ii rtr Cherokee. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on this forum but I have a few questions.

1.) what are the biggest weak points, as in likely to break or cause damage elsewhere, for the scx10ii?

2.) the stock all terrain tires are leaving a lot to be desired. What’s a good replacement? Any tires that fit on the stock axial rims? I don’t want to spend a ton of money on new tires and wheels, just looking for some improvement over stock.

3.) the stock Servo seems pretty weak. Good options here that are less than $100?

4.) Best Bang for buck upgrades? Wheel weights? Battery/Servo relocation?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial SCX10ii RTR Weak Points and Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
Hey everyone. Newbie here. I even noobed up my screen name which was supposed to be Pwny Danza but I got autocorrects to Pant Danza. Can any mod fix? If not then Pant it is.
First of all, welcome to the forum Pant. Yes, Pant it is. There's a ton of knowledge around here, you'll enjoy it. One suggestion I can make is read before you post new threads as answering the same questions over and over tends to make people crabby around here

Quote:
1.) what are the biggest weak points, as in likely to break or cause damage elsewhere, for the scx10ii?
There isn't really. For newcomers, you're best to run it stock and assess what you like / don't like about your truck and upgrade anything you're able to break. If there was one thing I see a lot of, it's the M2x8mm screws that connect the ring gear to the locker in the axles tend to sheer off. A cheap fix (<$3) is to run the Protek M2x8mm cap head screws (high strength 12.9 Grade) instead of the stock ones. You don't need to crank them down (they're small and you can stress/snap them if you're not careful). No more issues!

Quote:
2.) the stock all terrain tires are leaving a lot to be desired. What’s a good replacement? Any tires that fit on the stock axial rims? I don’t want to spend a ton of money on new tires and wheels, just looking for some improvement over stock.
If you don't care about scale looks, the Proline Hyrax are cheap and a top-3 all-around tire. They also come in 4.75" (Class 2 legal) and recently were released in 4.19" (Class 1 legal). Other popular choices are the Proline TSL XL, Proline Krawler KX, and Pitbull Rock Beast (standard or XL size).

Quote:
3.) the stock Servo seems pretty weak. Good options here that are less than $100?
I'd suggest a Savox SA-1231SG or 1230SG. the 1231 provides more than enough torque with a bit more speed, whereas the 1230 is a hair slower but has a bit more (unnecessary) torque. If you can afford $100, the Holmes HV500 is a great servo. Either way, you'll need an external BEC to power it unless you have an ESC with a good enough internal BEC, such as the Castle mamba X (if going brushless) or the Hobbywing Quicrun 1080 WP which is by far my favorite brushed ESC on the market.

Quote:
4.) Best Bang for buck upgrades? Wheel weights? Battery/Servo relocation?
Battery/servo relocation is not necessary at all. If you have the original RTR (AKA not the new JK), then put steel gears in your transmission. I personally prefer the Incision stainless link kit to get a bit more weight down low (plus the stock links aren't that great anyways, especially on the RTR). Other choice is obviously some beadlock wheels to pair with your new tires. SSD makes some affordable options that mount well. What don't you like about your truck? Upgrade that.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

All based on my experience with my RTR.

Weak points:
1: Plastic servo horn, many aluminum options out there
2. Rod ends for the links wore out fast, I got the Incision stainless link set
3.Stock trans gears stripped, many steel options out there.
4. Stock servo lasted a while but died on a fall down a huge cliff, I replaced it with a Savox 1231 but there's a lot of options out there

The stock tires weren't terrible for me but I ended up with Rock Beasts on SSD steel beadlocks after running the stockers for a while. I would take the stock tires with good foams and better wheels vs stock wheels with better tires glued on them. The SSD steel beadlocks are priced fairly decent though and are nice wheels.

Next was bumpers, new body, SSD Pro 44 axle housings, aluminum transmission case, and a Hobbywing 1080 ESC with a cheap Axial 27t motor.

Last edited by fortyeightjake; 12-11-2017 at 01:03 PM.
fortyeightjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Looks like me and LSXGMC quite alike!
fortyeightjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

Interesting perspective on the wheels. I’ll keep that in mind!

I have the Cherokee so it sounds like steel gears in the transmission will be needed.

Great info! Thank you two for the responses.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Hyrax are awesome.Scale look I am satisfied.I have kind of similar tyres on my 1/1 truck
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

I picked up a set of hyrax tires and the pro line bead locks toda. Big improvement over stock. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Tuck the front bumper in and trim the little tabs off. Dremel the rear mount (separate piece that attaches to the metal rails) to make it slide into the chassis. Problem with extraneous hang-ups solved!
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:41 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I agree with the first reply, run it for awhile and see what's what. The stock tires will break in and soften up, if you want a more aggressive tire, than I like Pitbull Rock Beasts or Pro-line TSL Swampers. The cherokee does not have metal trans gears, so that would be my first upgrade. Run the stock servo till it quits, then replace it.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX10ii RTR Weak Points and Suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buttery Smooth! Axial SCX10II Bleeded Shock Mod - A Must Do all SCX10II joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 58 07-13-2020 09:44 AM
Cross MC8 weak points? zanthrax Multi Axle Rigs 2 07-22-2015 05:42 PM
R1 Weak Points? alexchen86 G-Made Crawlers 7 12-17-2010 08:52 AM
weak points on the mrc ? crawlerswede Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 19 08-10-2009 09:18 PM