Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: found new SCX10 II trail honcho RTR @ axial website

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2017, 02:40 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: found new SCX10 II trail honcho RTR @ axial website

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
This is one i might just pick up. I missed the first Honcho, being dirt poor I couldn't rationalize a second scx10. But now I am a bit more comfortable, in life, I may do a run it stock thing, to see what breaks while tracking milage and replace only what breaks... Will see...
I can help you with that. You need one with class 1 tires, one with leaf springs and one set up to run all the times and take a bit of a beating.

By my count that's 3, oh wait one for a guest.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
I can help you with that. You need one with class 1 tires, one with leaf springs and one set up to run all the times and take a bit of a beating.

By my count that's 3, oh wait one for a guest.
More like 6 lol. Class 1, 2, and 3... guest, beater, and a stocker, you know for a baseline.

I talked to my lhs today and preordered one. Good thing is I can put it on layaway so hopefully by the time i pick it up I can have it paid up...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #63
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
More like 6 lol. Class 1, 2, and 3... guest, beater, and a stocker, you know for a baseline.

I talked to my lhs today and preordered one. Good thing is I can put it on layaway so hopefully by the time i pick it up I can have it paid up...
Hobbytown or Blue Ribbon?
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Treasure Chest. I believe Hobbytown is out of business.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:51 PM   #65
Pebble Pounder

Ah. I see it is closed.
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabust View Post
I like that the ring is a one piece together with the spool, too bad is sintered steel and not hardened steel like a regular AR44 ring & pinion
I think it'll be fine tbh. Even Hilti power tools have been using sintered gears lately.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sparktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

I gotta say I’m incredibly underwhelmed by this one. Also, and maybe this was mentioned before but, why the hell didn’t the new Jeep RTR get the new one piece rear axle like this Honcho is getting? The body? the rest of the truck is also downgraded as much as possible and they still couldn’t hit $299 even shorting the buyer a spare POS wheel and tire. I’m sure that’s the Deadbolt’s price point when it comes out with a new and improved color and something else molded in plastic instead of super expensive and ultra rare um steel.

Axial......what the shit is going on over there? You guys had it. You had the scaler market cornered before there was a scaler market. You sat around doing nothing for years then rushed a bunch of garbage to market like all three Yetis, and now that you’ve let everyone else run right past you with new innovative and exciting products you decide to rush a bunch of “new” products to market with negligible features differentiating one from another. Lights, paint, meh. This is getting so old it’s cliche. Let’s boil it all down to the one significant new and exciting product Axial has brought to market in years. The AR44 and now the GENIUS and revolutionary AR44 one piece rear. The rest is just parts bin, rehashed, Axial. How in the world can we be expected to be excited about any “new” Axial products at all? Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I just don’t get it.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Calling it now, the next deadbolt wil be the guts of the new honcho with the ax10 chassis. The chassis is the only place left to cut costs for that sub $300 RTR price point.

Last edited by txbart; 12-15-2017 at 09:47 PM.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:24 PM   #69
RCC Addict

SCREAMER nailed it.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #70
Slow is the new Fast

I like Axial’s Bomber. Clearly not innovative, more reconfigurative. But yeah, SCREAMER kind of did nail it. So what is innovative going to look like in the scaler/crawler market? Outside of The TRX4, has any company really been that innovative?

I am not making a statement. I am genuinely curious what people think. Personally I am still kind of blown away by the advance in batteries and electronics since my foray back in to RC(not to mention everything else) I missed 25 years of evolution after mid 80’s Tamiya products.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #71
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I gotta say I’m incredibly underwhelmed by this one. Also, and maybe this was mentioned before but, why the hell didn’t the new Jeep RTR get the new one piece rear axle like this Honcho is getting? The body? the rest of the truck is also downgraded as much as possible and they still couldn’t hit $299 even shorting the buyer a spare POS wheel and tire. I’m sure that’s the Deadbolt’s price point when it comes out with a new and improved color and something else molded in plastic instead of super expensive and ultra rare um steel.

Axial......what the shit is going on over there? You guys had it. You had the scaler market cornered before there was a scaler market. You sat around doing nothing for years then rushed a bunch of garbage to market like all three Yetis, and now that you’ve let everyone else run right past you with new innovative and exciting products you decide to rush a bunch of “new” products to market with negligible features differentiating one from another. Lights, paint, meh. This is getting so old it’s cliche. Let’s boil it all down to the one significant new and exciting product Axial has brought to market in years. The AR44 and now the GENIUS and revolutionary AR44 one piece rear. The rest is just parts bin, rehashed, Axial. How in the world can we be expected to be excited about any “new” Axial products at all? Maybe it’s just me. Maybe I just don’t get it.
I get reviving the Honcho (even if I hate the body myself) because a lot of people started with them years ago. I don't get how they managed to not hit $299 with it though. They cut every corner possible. I mean, really how much would it have cost them to put a damn steel idler gear in? Two or three bucks? WTF?

There are mumblings of doing a box stock class in our comp series next year. The addition of a steel gear in the Wrangler RTR gave me false hope for the Deadbolt, which is what I had planned to use. I'll hold off and wait for the K5. HOPEFULLY it will have all the good stuff and the body wont be massive with bumpers that hang out a mile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
Calling it now, the next deadbolt wil be the guts of the new honcho with the ax10 chassis. The chassis is the only place left to cut costs for that sub $300 RTR price point.
The Deadbolt will still be a rail chassis. Axial came to an event here a few weeks ago and they had a Deadbolt with AR44s under it. I didn't bother checking to see if it was totally 10.2 or just had the axles.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:03 AM   #72
Pebble Pounder

I love the honcho look, just found out about it on fri. browsing .I have a ax10 deadbolt. &stock redcat e10. love them both. I really want the honcho clone I found on youtube, its made by remo hobby just called crawler series. I'm impressed on every video on youtube ive watched. but its in foreign country .I'll just have to save up for this honcho 2. very excited about.
rctrucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
The chassis is the only place left to cut costs for that sub $300 RTR price point.
I have an idea of where else they can cut costs:

svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post

Amen! I'm glad somebody finally gets it. Axial has lost its edge. They got complacent. They are releasing the same shit over and over, but in dumbed down, cheaper form.

The new Honcho is way less than a $300 truck and they can't even hit that price point. Axial tax. Look at the competition.

There's a reason there's an "Axial sale" every other week.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:52 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

I think the rear axle is a neat design, but it does seem like the same old stuff. Especially when you have a company like ssd coming out with their innovative pro 44 axles for a small $25 fee. None of the "new" axial offerings makes me want to rush out and get one. Besides so far they only have one kit version and that's my biggest want it the rc world is to buy a box full of little parts and make a full vehicle out of it. I also don't want the same vehicle as someone else. I like painting my bodies the color I want (even though I see a ton of blue ones like mine). I'd really love to see a kit version without wheels and tires or maybe even without a body or bumpers or shocks. That would be the ticket. No license fees to drive up the price. I never even bothered to glue up the tires to the wheels. Got metal beadlocks before I even had the kit. The scx 10 2 kit without that stuff would probably be like $225 and that would be awesome and I wouldn't have a bunch of spare/unused parts laying around.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #76
Slow is the new Fast

Good bitch fest, let’s hear some ideas from the smart guys...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Amen! I'm glad somebody finally gets it. Axial has lost its edge. They got complacent. They are releasing the same shit over and over, but in dumbed down, cheaper form.

The new Honcho is way less than a $300 truck and they can't even hit that price point. Axial tax. Look at the competition.

There's a reason there's an "Axial sale" every other week.
Wow guys!

Every release by axial is filled with pages and pages of people whining about how axial lost its edge ect...

Axial is doing the same thing every big manufacturer does, changing a small part or detail, putting a new body on and calling it new.

If in doubt look at Ford or Chevy, really any of the car manufacturers. They have a "new" model every year, even though the car or truck wont actually be any different. Then they change the headlight configuration or the tail lights and call it all new...

Any manufacturer is in to make money, an the best way to do that is reuse parts in the warehouse. Old school example Chevy 350... 283, 305, 350, all shared the same block.

Don't view it rehashing, greedy, whatever you want to call it.

Look towards more cheap parts.

I can not bring myself to purchase $100 wheels for my R.C. But now I have the option of running Method rims on my trucks, wrapped in Falken Mtr's. One piece rear axle, and the tube cage.

If you dont like the body, 4 body clips and it can disapear. Plastic idler gear, so what, my wife's scx10 runs 3s for years now on a old school trans, plastic housing, plastic idler, rubber front steering link, 4.75 tires. runs great and is more reliable than my fully built rig.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

But it’s more fun to always Bitch and moan about ........ Axial, Castle, HPI, Hobbico, Jason...........
Everyone knows what is “needed” to sell RC trucks..... Axial does

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Good bitch fest, let’s hear some ideas from the smart guys...
Werd. So axial won't sell it to a few people too busy bitching about them to care. Cool. The rest of the populace will still buy it because it's a freshened up honcho and not yet another gawdammed Jeep with the licensing fees. Sure it's missing a few of the "features" the Jeep has but not everyone wants the same ol' shit.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Werd. So axial won't sell it to a few people too busy bitching about them to care. Cool. The rest of the populace will still buy it because it's a freshened up honcho and not yet another gawdammed Jeep with the licensing fees. Sure it's missing a few of the "features" the Jeep has but not everyone wants the same ol' shit.
Amen!

I am buying one because I missed the first Honcho, I always liked the look of the body, and have been waiting to pick one up. I have also been considering a new crawler purchase,looking at the new Vaterra bnd. I typically build, rather than buy and put stuff together that was never meant to go together.

I am planning on running my old school 4.3 Proline tsl's on Axial 8 hole beadlocks. I have a shaved flat iron I can throw in the back for good measure. Make this my "class 1" rig though I know,technically not legal. Then just drive it and see what breaks.

Plus the boy looks similar enough to my 96 b4000, I might just see if i can have some stickers printed up for the body.

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 12-16-2017 at 01:34 PM.

found new SCX10 II trail honcho RTR @ axial website - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 03-24-2014 05:02 AM
Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho version - comes RTR jjwiggs Testing 1 2 3 0 03-25-2013 08:51 PM
Axial SCX10 Trail Honcho truck RTR doing steep hill climb RC Toyota Tacoma 4x4 at Seg boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 02-25-2013 09:07 AM