Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Hello Dingo my old friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Hello Dingo my old friend

I believe it is time for a build. Generally I am not witty enough to make a thread entertaining or interesting, so past the Simon & Garfunkel reference I am just going to toss up a few pictures and lets see how it goes.

So in full disclosure, because someone is going to call me out, I said I wasn't going to buy another axial product. Technically I didn't my son, daughter and wife did, (don't tell them I peeked in the closet),

Our(mine and the boy) first scale rc was a dingo kit. Man I loved that truck, still have it but with a d90 body and leaf springs on it. Needless to say driving a hard body with leafs requires a certain amount of finesse that at times I just don't want to drive that way.

Sometimes I just want to go bouncing down a trail and crawler over things. The kid now has a Beast II, so when I don't want to bounce around he can run that. But his scx10 with it's mods is pretty capable , and frankly I'm sick of him making me look like I can't drive.

There boring conversational stuff out of the way, lets talk trucks.

• Body:
    • Axial Dingo body and cage AX4010
  • Axial housings:
    • SSD Pro44 Axle Case(front) SSD00207
    • SSD Pro44 Axle Case(rear) SSD00209
  • Lockers:
    • SSD HD-steel SSD00196
  • Wheels:
    • 1.9 Chicom knockoff methods matte silver/matte silver rings with metric hardware.
  • Kit:
    • SCX10 II™ 2000 Jeep® Cherokee 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD – Kit AX90046
  • Tires:
    • 1.9 Pit Bull Rock Best in Komp Kompound pbtpb9003nk
      • Original dingo tires, until I get something newer.
  • Foams:
    • Deuce's Wild Single Stage 1.9 Pitbull Rock Beast Foam Pair(rear) CWR-3001
    • Lil' Nova Dual Stage 4.50” Comp Cut Inner / Medium Outer(front) CWR-2025
Parts collected so far, build to start 12/25/2017
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Hello Dingo my old friend

Merry Christmas to you Ditchrat. Look forward to the visuals.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #3

Starting a build before you even have possession of the truck. You dirty rat!

Those SSD axles are awesome. I'd love to put a set of those on my old SCX10. This should be a good build.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Lets get some pictures going, since you know threads are worthless with out them.

My slightly pre-loved dingo body, number 2 actually. She needs a little tlc to get her back in shape, new fire extinguisher, Scale items for the rack, certainly need to get rid of that horrific axial ripsaw spare. I never got around to putting the new driver in and of coarse back ordered fender flares.

Lastly time to break out the vinyl cutter and do some lettering. But I really need to wait until after Christmas, or the wife might get suspicious.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

We all know what a scx10ii kit build looks like, so I'm going to skip that part.

So impressions of the kit: Not much different then the scx10 kit I built other then the obvious upgrades/changes.
Tires: Compared to the ripsaws kit, which are supposed to be the same compound, they are much softer and sticker. Almost to the point where I have a different opinion of the R35 compound. If I didn't have love for Pitbull I would almost consider keeping and using them. However the I like the PB's much better, so I'm switching them shortly.
Plastic: It's different, much stiffer and harder.
Hardware: I switch mine away from self taping, wood screw style screws, but man was it a pain in the ars to get the machine screws started in the plastic. I also notice no 3mm socket head, the scx10 kit had a few.(I see this as a cost savings change, not an improvement)

Overall, cool rig. Time to make it my own.
First things first, wheelbase change. New rear links, 4mm titanium all thread, sheaved in 1/4" stainless tubing. The old all thread and brakeline method, with a little better material.

Lets add some power to this rig, going brushless. I have no idea what Im doing with this set up, so here is to learning. 13.5t 4 pole cheap Chinese, $23.00 shipped motor. To go with it I got a good deal on a CC Mamba X. I figure I'll get a decent motor once I play with brushless for a few trail runs.

Stock rear bumper mount wasn't going to work. Stock bumper wasn't cutting it either. The dingo bumber is on my d90 so I needed a solution.

Enter a parts bin hot racing scx10 mount. It wasn't working either. It was 1/8" to long. whats a boy to do, well cut it down. A little trimming, one hole opened to 3mm, and a quick flip and we are good.

On to the bumper, it needed a little trimming to lay flush with the back of the body. Nothing a dremel and file didn't fix. Since this is going to be a trail truck and G6 rig, the departure angle wasn't something I was hung up on. SO the front Cherokee bumper just became the rear dingo bumper.
Bonus I wanted a rear winch, now I have a winch deck.

Looks like fedex just showed up with a d90 and Cherokee hard bodies, so I'm going to take a break form this and get the mail.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 12-27-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Straight off the boat with a nice matte silver finish. At $10.50 a wheel shipped. it is hard to beat. They even come with metric hardware, go figure. Not a single blemish, scratch or mark on them. I'm all for the little guy, but when you get four, for less then the price of one, plus hubs included.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ditchrat; 12-27-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

nice wheels. I have a set of China 1.9s. Really great quality. I'll be purchasing more, just different designs
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussprinceton2004 View Post
nice wheels. I have a set of China 1.9s. Really great quality. I'll be purchasing more, just different designs
I have 3 other sets, this is the first in the matte clear. It is a really nice finish. I have absolutely zero issues with any of the sets.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:33 AM   #9
RCC Addict

More off the boat goodies. I'm not planning a bunch of extra weight above the axles, but i couldn't resist a little scale detail and down low weight in the form of scale rotors. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but some of these over seas products are killing it on the price point. $22.00 for 4 deliver I couldn't even buy the brass stock to turn them up in the lathe.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 12-28-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Got my sliders worked out. A little bit of trimming, then flipping the mounting points from underneath to on top got the job done.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
RCC Addict

What site are you finding these deals? I need some weights at that price and maybe some wheels. ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
TAT76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:36 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT76 View Post
What site are you finding these deals? I need some weights at that price and maybe some wheels. ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ebay is your friend if you can sort through all the stuff using the right key words and have a price range in mind to filter out most of the junk.

If you get the weights be aware that you will need to get ~2mm longer hardware for the wheel hub. Also not all weights fit all wheels, you need to know exactly what you are looking for.

Those wheels are obviously VP clones, the weights are clones of ones made to use with VP wheel and the slw hubs. They are not the only weights available, so you need to research the style to make sure they are compatible. Also there are two types available, ones with slots and ones without. If you want a certain style look at all the picture they provide.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Little more work done. Rubber fender flares and added some stickers. Cause you know stickers make it go faster.

Hopefully the esc shows up and i can start running the wires.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 12-29-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:54 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Do you happen to have a link on Ebay for those wheels? I agree with you, the little guy and USA Made is awesome, but good lord that's an awesome deal! If nothing else, it'd be great to have a set mounted up with some alternate rubber for varying conditions.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Do you happen to have a link on Ebay for those wheels? I agree with you, the little guy and USA Made is awesome, but good lord that's an awesome deal! If nothing else, it'd be great to have a set mounted up with some alternate rubber for varying conditions.
The chicom wheels are a touchy subject here, at least they were at one point when VP complained about them. So I'm not sure how the mods feel about linking to them. Plus there are multiple sellers and prices change all the time. Many times ebay encourages sellers to put things on sale and you can catch one of those 10% off times.

Search for alloy(remember most of the world learns British English) 1.9 beadlock, then set your filter for buy it now, price range above $25.00.

You will find about 7 colors in 4 different styles. The take a look at my pictures noting the bolt hole numbers and patterns. You will find many styles, but they are copies of poor products. Might as well get a copy of a good product.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:29 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Installed the CC mamba x into the rig and started on the electical systems. Now the long wait for overseas cheap servos that I can tear down to make light controls.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 AM   #17
RCC Addict

With steering amd a power plant installed I figured its time get some run time in. Most of my gates are covered in snow, so I just had a little fun tossing up rooster tails.

Hello Dingo my old friend - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Say Hello to my little friend... willipmartinni EnRoute Berg 17 06-07-2010 01:17 AM
A little help for a friend in need... bustedcrawler Colorado 1 05-07-2010 01:53 AM
Friend requests-are you a friend when you approve? pantablo Comments, Suggestions, and Help 3 10-24-2009 02:51 PM
my best friend... thenewguy jr Chit Chat 8 05-17-2007 05:35 AM