Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Akumu - SCX10 II build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 09:09 AM   #21
v33
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Akumu - SCX10 II build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
You can say they broke yeah. Not gonna replace them though I run a toyzuki with od now anyways

>8 SNIP 8<

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
what motor/esc combo did you use before?
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33 View Post
what motor/esc combo did you use before?

Shimed correctly and a Holme agonies stubby 3300kv geared weary low, 9t/56t 32p running scx10 trans and scx10.2 axles. Wasn’t faster then a 27t brushed.

Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:16 AM   #23
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
Shimed correctly and a Holme agonies stubby 3300kv geared weary low, 9t/56t 32p running scx10 trans and scx10.2 axles. Wasn’t faster then a 27t brushed.

i've had a good friend recently break a day old CVD on his SCX10.1 rig running a stock 27T motor. I have not really made a comparison with other rigs, but they say my trucks run faster that theirs... i'm guessing its due to the 14T pinion I use, maybe they run the stock 15T pinions or higher.

anyways, hoping for the best till i get a spare OD gear. thanks for the info!

Here is a shot i took today...

Thanks for viewing!
Old 03-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #24
v33
Rock Crawler

been driving the v2 almost consistently every weekend. had been, i guess lucky to have been included in a video made by one of our local guys... a father and son team that goes crawling with us.

this was a test competition me and my friends made, I was driving with the black Honcho shell and Proline Hyrax tires...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hryH2B1mG0&t=81s

this one was taken last Sunday, a fun run organized by Manila4x4. I was driving with my black SR5 body (with a Petron sticker on the sides, an homage to my dad who worked there for several decades) and Proline TSL Super Swampers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3i3...&feature=share

the setup is now full droop front and semi-droop rear... i think i will stick with this setup for now.

thanks for viewing!
Old 04-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #25
v33
Rock Crawler

Painted the Proline SR5 and installed the honcho bed. still WIP, still need to 3dprint Harley's mounts for the SR5 bed and then paint that...

Thanks for viewing!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:37 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

How are those shocks setup??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
wcdfmt510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #27
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcdfmt510 View Post
How are those shocks setup??

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
the front are full droop with very little oil.

i used to have the rear setup with full droop but found during testing that on steep drops the dampers would push the body away from the chassis causing it to tumble down. the rear have been rebuilt, they have short ballpoint pen springs on the bottom of the piston and filled with 30wt oil (thinking to use 40wt soon). they work way better now with very minimal droop. btw, all wheels have approx. 40g of weights, these wheels are lightweight and needed weights to plant them down.

hth
Old 04-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #28
v33
Rock Crawler

this rig has undergone so many changes in the last few months and i guess it's still growing, finally bagged an award and moved up from B-Main to A-Main. Glad it only took 3 competitions to move this far forward...

i was not loving the RB2's on any of our trail and just use those for stance shots now, during this 8th anniversary competition yesterday the rig sported the Swampers with CI single stage foam (vented tires). it performed quite nicely, but definitely there is room for a lot more improvement.

thanks for viewing!
Old 05-04-2018, 06:01 AM   #29
v33
Rock Crawler

Finally got to mount the sr5 bed using Harley's honcho bed clips...

I plan to put some kind of TRD livery on it, maybe paint the bed black. This may come at a later time when the body gets scratched up or... if i have the itch to do it, who knows.

Thanks for viewing!
Old 05-20-2018, 03:50 AM   #30
v33
Rock Crawler

trying out some new things here, using parallel batteries on the rig now and had moved battery location to the slider area using CF plates. Also added a 3d printed honcho fender, which i need to trim to fit the SR5 body (unfortunately had to let go of the honcho body to make for something different coming soon)

thanks for viewing!
Old 06-14-2018, 04:14 AM   #31
v33
Rock Crawler

i was building the toyzuki scx10v1 rig for a competition this coming weekend, the china made tranny top gear broke. decided to move the fiber glass body to the scx10v2 rig... its my first time driving a heavier body and truggy bed, wish me luck

aside from the hilux fiber glass body and metal truggy bed, I've made custom body mounts (removed the sliders, temporarily). changed the rear dampers to 72mm and a custom shock and tail light mounts.

thanks for viewing!
Old 06-20-2018, 07:04 AM   #32
v33
Rock Crawler

OMG, I didn't know it was so hard making videos in the rain... without a waterproof/autofocus camera

https://youtu.be/lpOPBAEzGXs

Old 06-20-2018, 08:35 AM   #33

Good looking truck! I enjoyed reading this build and look forward to reading more.

I was watching the video without sound. Why were the girls placing caps or something on top of the trucks? Is that how they were placing their "bets" on which truck would win?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #34
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good looking truck! I enjoyed reading this build and look forward to reading more.

I was watching the video without sound. Why were the girls placing caps or something on top of the trucks? Is that how they were placing their "bets" on which truck would win?
Thanks!

Yes, we introduced a peoples choice award and those caps where markers... more markers our trucks get the higher the position. I got 2nd place
Old 06-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #35
v33
Rock Crawler

almost finish on detailing the rear, just added sandladders, shovel, braided tow hooks and started on a custom bumper which will have d-rings.

forgot to mention i added a windshield with wipers and a small antenna i had from a very long time ago (not sure where it came from).

I have opened the hood for easy access to the battery plate, a friend helped me braze 2 pieces of aluminum rods and i used an old body magnet mount from my drift car

these magnets hold the hood so well, i really love it.

Thanks for viewing!

Last edited by v33; 06-28-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:56 AM   #36
v33
Rock Crawler

just got this installed today, still need to do proper testing...

initial thoughts, the outer build quality looks good. the wire tabs equaly spaced apart makes it clean looking and easy to solder on. running it for a few minutes, no issues geared at 14T and my stock spur.

i'll try doing some backyard running tomorrow and see how she does. i have removed the placed on storage the hilux body and run an LC70 lexan shell for a lighter setup. i'll see if i can shoot some running videos, still editing my installation video and will upload those later today.

thanks for viewing!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #37
v33
Rock Crawler

I actually made some changes for a crawling competition we where supposed to attend today, due to heavy rains caused by a typhoon it was cancelled and moved to the end of the month.

Anyways, replaced the body with a lexan LC70 which i just painted white and chopped the rear for clearnace when climbing steep terrain. This rig is now powered by the new Hobbywing AXE540 with 2300kv motor mounted on my Toyzuki motor mount (for the scx10 v1). I have also removed the CI Single Stage foams and replaced it with CI 2 Stage foams (soft front, medium rear).

Btw, i made a very short video test run earlier...

https://youtu.be/yWMFZGtJIcg

The ESC/Motor works great, i really like when you pull the throttle it does not apply too much power on start and can easily retain a constant crawling speed. What i did not like oob is the reverse, it had this weird punch that made the rig jump. A god send is the built-in bluetooth connection, using my android phone I easily connected to it and dropped the reverse setting to 50% and it now works like i want it too. The top speed is a little underwhelming, I think we could have benefited more if the 3300kv was available already, will upgrading to that motor when it comes out. Oh, and a new firmware update was just released, not really sure what changed cause i did not see or feel anything.

I think the Toyzuki motor mount is not a must have for the SCX10 II, the kit version tranny oob is really good and the layout of the rig has great balance. With the Toyzuki mount in front, i had to move my battery on the right side and electronics on the left, even with the motor and electronics (the AXE540 esc is bigger than the 1080 esc) the right side feels heavy and the front is heavy too which make the rear lighter... it seems like it has a 70/30 weight distribution, i still need to see how this affects my runs.

I have not thoroughly tested the CI 2 Stage Foams on the Proline Super Swampers, on the video above using CI Single stage foams the rig easily climbs the step without any effort... with the 2 stage it requires a different approach. The reason I swapped the foams out is due to a section in our trail that i find very hard to climb using the single stage foams, the mud cakes and lessens the grip even on a lightned rig.

Hopefully this afternoon I can test the rig on that area, its been raining like crazy here in my country... 3 typhoons in the past week with i think another 2 coming in.

thanks for viewing!
Old 07-22-2018, 01:13 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Truck looks great!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:54 PM   #39

How do you like the LC70 body? I'm wary of its lack of accessories. I like the bed depth but no light buckets or detailed trim parts makes me say "Ehh"
lIRATIl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:47 AM   #40
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lIRATIl View Post
How do you like the LC70 body? I'm wary of its lack of accessories. I like the bed depth but no light buckets or detailed trim parts makes me say "Ehh"
this is not a hard body, its lexan. i actually have lights for this, but have not gotten to install them, i need them installed this weekend before the competition on sunday.

also have a lot of accessories, spare tire and mount, highlift jack, metal ropes, fuel cell, extinguisher. oh and if i have time tomorrow to get 5mm aluminum rods, i will braze a roll bar for it.

this body is very light and i have compacted it some more in the rear so that it can climb steep inclines.

this is the 2nd LC70 lexan i've owned, not sure how long i will be running this body... have not found anything i like to date, hopefully the LHS will have something i really like soon.

Akumu - SCX10 II build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Akumu - SCX10 build v33 Axial SCX-10 31 10-09-2019 05:15 PM
I want to build another SCX10 Drewmtb29 Axial SCX-10 3 11-18-2015 07:09 PM
1.9 wraith build or scx10 build? Cork Newbie General 13 06-08-2015 08:17 AM
scx10 G6 2.2 Wroncho/Wrangler Build (AKA The Sleeping On The Couch Build) Irishchamp 2.2 Scale Rigs 45 10-09-2014 10:26 PM
Pinchflat's SCX10 "WTF am I going to build" Build. PinchFlat Axial SCX-10 99 10-09-2012 12:59 PM