Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Potential steering or servo issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Potential steering or servo issue

Ok so I've noticed something about steering of my new scx10.2 rtr. It seems that when moving forward it won't steer to the left as much as to the right. However when I pull the front of the car up, it reaches that 45 degree point. Also I noticed that if I move it backwards and then steer to the left, it reaches the 45 degree point without any issue.
westerlycarrot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2017, 11:13 PM   #2

Default Re: Potential steering or servo issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerlycarrot9 View Post
Ok so I've noticed something about steering of my new scx10.2 rtr. It seems that when moving forward it won't steer to the left as much as to the right. However when I pull the front of the car up, it reaches that 45 degree point. Also I noticed that if I move it backwards and then steer to the left, it reaches the 45 degree point without any issue.
Sounds like it's got something going wrong in the gears. If it were a better servo I'd say rebuild it, but since it's not I'd just get a Savox SW-1210SG if you can afford it. (If not the SW-0231MG is good too)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Sparktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Your problem could be a bad reciever, a weak bec, or a servo going bad. I have had a similar issue to what you describe with each of those problems ...

My buddy is running a Power HD 20kg wp servo and is very happy with the performance, on a 2.2 (5.9" tires) scx10 based rig, espicially because its only $22.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:03 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

The truck is brand new (got it like 3 days ago) so I don't think it's the bec or the receiver. However the servo always makes a ticking sound when steering.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:08 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Also what's the deal with the left wheel moving slightly in and out? I checked the nut and the hex and both are as they should be. I hope it's just a brand-new-truck type of thing where it should run for some hours to get used to the weight of the truck etc.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:22 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparktek View Post
Sounds like it's got something going wrong in the gears. If it were a better servo I'd say rebuild it, but since it's not I'd just get a Savox SW-1210SG if you can afford it. (If not the SW-0231MG is good too)

To my understanding it's got something to do with the weight of the truck. If I hold it in the air, steering to the left is equal to the right. The issue is when it's on the ground :p I tried removing the servo horn and centering the servo via the controller but with no success. Could the steering shaft be the problem?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:32 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

What kind of servo? If you want a low cost servo try a Tactic TSX55. It is a little more powerful than the stock one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
The truck is brand new (got it like 3 days ago) so I don't think it's the bec or the receiver. However the servo always makes a ticking sound when steering.

RTR? If so I wouldn't waste time fixing it. Call axial there is some warranty on electronics. Tell them whats going on, get it fixed and worry about up grades later.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
RTR? If so I wouldn't waste time fixing it. Call axial there is some warranty on electronics. Tell them whats going on, get it fixed and worry about up grades later.
Yes it's the RTR version. Actually i didn't buy the truck directly from Axial and besides that i live in Greece so it's kinda difficult to call them :P
Old 12-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeeper2017 View Post
What kind of servo? If you want a low cost servo try a Tactic TSX55. It is a little more powerful than the stock one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The stock TSX45 that the RTR version comes with. I'll check out that one.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I had a similar issue with my kit version, and I'm using a cheaper Radient servo. It seems to have went away when I swapped the plastic servo horn to an Axial aluminum servo horn, AX30836, and SSD's double bent titanium steering/panhard links, SSD00122.

But I was also having some trouble eliminating AVC with my Spektrum DX4C. Rebinding that several times, leaving one plug seems to have solved that issue as well.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
I had a similar issue with my kit version, and I'm using a cheaper Radient servo. It seems to have went away when I swapped the plastic servo horn to an Axial aluminum servo horn, AX30836, and SSD's double bent titanium steering/panhard links, SSD00122.

But I was also having some trouble eliminating AVC with my Spektrum DX4C. Rebinding that several times, leaving one plug seems to have solved that issue as well.
I thought about the aluminum servo horn but isn't it too early for such an upgrade?
Old 12-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I thought about the aluminum servo horn but isn't it too early for such an upgrade?
I don't know if it's early, I waited after several hard runs before swapping it out. I just didn't like how much flex the plastic one had. I was holding out on swapping so I'd have a little give in the system for a servo saver effect. But I couldn't make tight turns like I wanted, so I was searching for a solution, too.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
I don't know if it's early, I waited after several hard runs before swapping it out. I just didn't like how much flex the plastic one had. I was holding out on swapping so I'd have a little give in the system for a servo saver effect. But I couldn't make tight turns like I wanted, so I was searching for a solution, too.
I see. Well this sounds exactly like my situation. The servo horn right now is a bit loose and flex like yours was.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #15

Quote:
It's never too early for that. I killed my plastic one 20 minutes after opening the box!

Old 12-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Stock servos are usually crap.

Don't get a tactic. Get a PDI 20kg off Aliexpress or ebay if you want a cheap option, or something in the 70+ EUR range from Hitec, Savox or some other "big name".
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Tactic stock servo is too weak with your grip. The TSX57 is the best of the tactic servos, but it’s still weak. Look around, replace your servo once. A quality one will usually set you back 60 to 100, but never replace it again

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:46 PM   #18
RCC Addict

The stock servo is pretty weak. It just doesnt have the power to fully turn the tires with all the vehicle weight on the truck unless it is moving.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
The stock servo is pretty weak. It just doesnt have the power to fully turn the tires with all the vehicle weight on the truck unless it is moving.
Well the only time it fully turns is when the car doesn't touch the ground. So in your opinion, the Axial aluminum servo horn won't solve the problem right?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Well the only time it fully turns is when the car doesn't touch the ground. So in your opinion, the Axial aluminum servo horn won't solve the problem right?
If you get a new servo you'll still need a metal servo horn to take advantage of the improved torque anyways.

Potential steering or servo issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
possible steering servo issue amped up Electronics 7 12-12-2015 12:18 AM
Steering Issue. Maybe not the servo? CHawk68462 Axial SCX-10 11 05-29-2013 01:34 PM
Wraith steering servo issue wheeler chaos Axial Wraith 6 03-30-2012 03:16 AM
New Build - Servo / Steering issue Slaughter Axial SCX-10 7 05-24-2011 06:23 PM
Servo Issue - Lost Steering flowingmotion Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 01-11-2010 05:47 PM