Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Goodbye Scx10.. Hello...HPI Venture FJ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Goodbye Scx10.. Hello...HPI Venture FJ???

Well today i was driving my scx10ii next to the James River and my RC decided to go for a swim The current grabbed it and before i could reach for it she had sunk 4 feet deep and was bouncing off the river floor moving at a rapid pace down river with the current. It was the RTR Wrangler, R.I.P.

Cant decide on the next Crawler i should purchase. I would like to keep it relatively affordable. Thought about the Honcho as ive been enjoying the budget builds but the Honcho is kind of ugly IMO. Thought a little about the kit version as i still have my Radio so there is some cost savings there but i have some doubts on my ability/ patients to build a kit.
Finally i came to the HPI Venture. awesome looking vehicle, relatively affordable, seems to be of decent quality. Was wondering what the guys on the scx side think of the HPI?( as opposed to the HPI biased guys on Venture forum)

What should a man do?

Thanks,
Heisenberg804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Goodbye Scx10.. Hello...HPI Venture FJ???

This is probably the wrong forum to be asking this question...

The general scale crawlers section would probably be a better bet.

To answer your question...

I have the Honcho myself and love it. I have not driven a Hpi Venture or run with one yet. I was debating on the Venture, Ascender, or Scx10II and while not a fanboy of Axial, most of my rigs are based on the brand. Reason being and probably the biggest reason I purchased the Honcho is the aftermarket parts support. While Vaterra is getting there, they just dont quite have the following. The Venture is by far the weakest in the aftermarket, and Hpi's history with replacement parts makes me hesitate to recomend them.

I do like Hpi, and have owned a few, including a Wheely King converted to rock crawler and really like the looks of the Venture chassis. I am waiting to see what the aftermarket does with them.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
v33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg804 View Post
Well today i was driving my scx10ii next to the James River and my RC decided to go for a swim The current grabbed it and before i could reach for it she had sunk 4 feet deep and was bouncing off the river floor moving at a rapid pace down river with the current. It was the RTR Wrangler, R.I.P.

Cant decide on the next Crawler i should purchase. I would like to keep it relatively affordable. Thought about the Honcho as ive been enjoying the budget builds but the Honcho is kind of ugly IMO. Thought a little about the kit version as i still have my Radio so there is some cost savings there but i have some doubts on my ability/ patients to build a kit.
Finally i came to the HPI Venture. awesome looking vehicle, relatively affordable, seems to be of decent quality. Was wondering what the guys on the scx side think of the HPI?( as opposed to the HPI biased guys on Venture forum)

What should a man do?

Thanks,
I used to love running HPI and HB onroad racers converted to drift cars, then upgraded to the HPI Pro-D and then to HB TC-D and TC-FD's. I know this may not seem like a good basis since i am not talking about trucks... but there is one thing that has affected my decision to never buy an HPI product ever again... and that is the worst support which btw is only 2nd to Tamiya. Also our local distributor is one of the worst here in my country.

I would stick to Axial, there are just so many reasons why this is way way better than HPI... you get peace of mind when you invest on a company that takes care of you and that is reason alone to get Axial.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

I might just have to beauty up a Honcho. I hear people complain about the remote for the Honcho so i already got an upgrade for it.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #5
tdc
Rock Stacker

you could always pick up a body you like more than the honcho at the same time and sell your new, unscratched, honcho body/cage on the ol ebay
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have both.I have the kit version of the 10 2 and i have the venture.
Venture is silent as hell,smooth esc and motor.Front BTA setup is awesome,it seems a good adavnatge compared ro TRX4 and SCX10 2,shocks are awesomelove them.Servo is crap,wheels....neah....but you can do with the stock ones,axle shafts wich are non cvds.,plastic links...and yeah,the body
Axial SCX10 2 kit version its a new platform,new transmission and axles,metal links,shocks needs the traxxas oring kit to make them leak free.Tyres are crap in mud,snow or soft terrain but perform well on dry rocks.
Both of them have full metal gears and plastic driveshafts.It is you choice to choose wich one.Definitely if it's an axila,then the kit is a must
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
RCC Addict

GET Axial SCX10 and Ascender only. Never for HPI
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I have currently a OG SCX10 (fairly well modified), a RTR SCX10.2 with the kit tranny and a Proline SR5 body with honcho bed, a Vaterra Ascender, a TRX-4 and a HPI Venture.

Of the 5 in RTR condition the TRX-4 is the nicest (also the most expensive). The worst would be the SCX-10 OG with no mods. As for the Venture, if you are used to the SCX10.2 you are going to be disappointed in the steering servo (it REALLY sucks) and the total amount of steering. The knuckles have stops built in but even after grinding them off with the Dremel the dog bones in the front still really limit the steering. It is not in the same ballpark as the other guys (Ascender, TRX-4, SCX-10.2). So mine sits until the CVD's come out for it. Otherwise it is very nice. I really like the lay out and the behind the axle steering.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Sorry to hear about your scx10ii swimming with the fishes. :(

Check out my post here about the Ascender and 3Racing rig options:

Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by teng View Post
get axial scx10 and ascender only. Never for hpi
x2!
triggerhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Never for HPI...why is that?Any arguments in sustaining that?
Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Heisenberg804 sorry to hear about your lost crawler, several great replacement options available these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
This is probably the wrong forum to be asking this question...

The general scale crawlers section would probably be a better bet.

I do like Hpi, and have owned a few, including a Wheely King converted to rock crawler and really like the looks of the Venture chassis. I am waiting to see what the aftermarket does with them.
Agreed on the section to post in. I really like the HPI layout and the BTA steering is very nice, CVD should be out before long, but hard to say what will happen given HPI's past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
you could always pick up a body you like more than the honcho at the same time and sell your new, unscratched, honcho body/cage on the ol ebay
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
I have both.I have the kit version of the 10 2 and i have the venture.
Venture is silent as hell,smooth esc and motor.Front BTA setup is awesome,it seems a good adavnatge compared ro TRX4 and SCX10 2,shocks are awesomelove them.Servo is crap,wheels....neah....but you can do with the stock ones,axle shafts wich are non cvds.,plastic links...and yeah,the body
Axial SCX10 2 kit version its a new platform,new transmission and axles,metal links,shocks needs the traxxas oring kit to make them leak free.Tyres are crap in mud,snow or soft terrain but perform well on dry rocks.
Both of them have full metal gears and plastic driveshafts.It is you choice to choose wich one.Definitely if it's an axila,then the kit is a must
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I have currently a OG SCX10 (fairly well modified), a RTR SCX10.2 with the kit tranny and a Proline SR5 body with honcho bed, a Vaterra Ascender, a TRX-4 and a HPI Venture.

Of the 5 in RTR condition the TRX-4 is the nicest (also the most expensive). The worst would be the SCX-10 OG with no mods. As for the Venture, if you are used to the SCX10.2 you are going to be disappointed in the steering servo (it REALLY sucks) and the total amount of steering. The knuckles have stops built in but even after grinding them off with the Dremel the dog bones in the front still really limit the steering. It is not in the same ballpark as the other guys (Ascender, TRX-4, SCX-10.2). So mine sits until the CVD's come out for it. Otherwise it is very nice. I really like the lay out and the behind the axle steering.
Good info, dogbones are going to have the least amount of usable steering, CVDs are a must imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Check out my post here about the Ascender and 3Racing rig options:

Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<
Good info too!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

My mate has the Venture. Its a great truck and very capable beside my SCX10II kit.

However the lack of spares and upgrades in UK make it a worry when it breaks.

If hpi sorted out their supplies here it would be a winner.

One half of AnT R/C on youtube, see my SCX10II in action there
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Id also consider a trx-4... but the good news is, you cant make a bad decision...
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #15

Just figured I would update you guys on the route I ended up taking...Traxxas slash.. decided I would just get something cheap to bash around(base model$189) while I save up enough to build a crawler with quality parts. Going to eventually get a scx10ii kit and throw some quality parts on it(soon as I finish this new job quest) but wanted something to play with until then.

Thank you all for your comments and good advice. Once I am re employed and get my build going I will update y'all.

Thanks again and God bless,

Christian
Old 02-22-2018, 07:17 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

LOOOOOL,that came from nowhere

Anyway,have fun and good luck in finding your SCX10 II kit....i meant job
Old 02-22-2018, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33 View Post
I used to love running HPI and HB onroad racers converted to drift cars, then upgraded to the HPI Pro-D and then to HB TC-D and TC-FD's. I know this may not seem like a good basis since i am not talking about trucks... but there is one thing that has affected my decision to never buy an HPI product ever again... and that is the worst support which btw is only 2nd to Tamiya. Also our local distributor is one of the worst here in my country.
Tamiya has bad support? I think that's the first time that I've ever read that on the internet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33 View Post
I would stick to Axial, there are just so many reasons why this is way way better than HPI... you get peace of mind when you invest on a company that takes care of you and that is reason alone to get Axial.

You love your Kool-Aid Axial flavored, eh?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Goodbye Scx10.. Hello...HPI Venture FJ??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
my hpi venture ghost97ta HPI Venture 24 05-03-2020 12:25 AM
scx10 II honcho vs hpi venture Desmo Newbie General 9 02-07-2018 08:08 AM
No HPI Venture Frank211 General Scale Talk 111 12-14-2017 05:55 PM
My HPI Venture is on it's way... QuesoDelDiablo 1.9 Scale Rigs 86 11-29-2017 05:58 PM