Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Tralfaz Blecht's SCX10II - Evolution of a First RC Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

This thread will follow the evolution of my first RC Crawler and my first RC vehicle as an adult. It is an Axial SCX10II RTR Honcho and I'm not 100% sure what it will be in the long run. It will most likely change several times and I'll probably end up with a few others.

The first thing I did was paint it in the style of Eddie Van Halen's Frankenstein guitar. I actually really like how this turned out. It's a paint job that is kind of half-assed anyways. It's just rock & roll, a thrasher.

I did however buy a Proline 1946 Dodge Power Wagon body to experiment with...

So... I don't like lexan bodies too much. I used to build a lot of 1/25 scale model cars so I think a hardbody will suit me better. Aside from my personal preference, this is a great lexan body, I just don't see myself really enjoying working with lexan. I still have a bit of clean-up to do on it. I wanted to paint the top trim on the bed in the gunmetal color too, but I could not find a way to mask off that area. It was tough enough just to get paint in there. I did a terrible job on the bed. Somehow I got some mess in there which I did not even see. Also, I tried to paint the chrome around the windshield with a chrome pen. There just isn't enough room inside to work on the details, but that's just like my opinion, man. Overall I'm happy with the cab for what it is. I also broke my bumper the other night and ran it over and tore out the LEDs. New bumper and lights are on the way. I may re-paint this body down the road. If I do that it will be painted on the outside and I'll put a slight patina on it.

I bought some RC4WD OEM 1.7 Duallies to put on it as well as some Axial SCX10 axles as opposed to the SCX10 II axles so that I can swap out the lockouts and shafts to narrow the rear axle to better accommodate the duallies. I have not yet assembled the axles. That will be my road project this week.

I think they look killer. Their performance is yet to be determined.

I doubt I'll always run the duallies. I've thought about buying another set of the front wheels so I can run them on the rear too which would be a more prototypical Power Wagon look. Don't know yet.

Is there a hub cover that looks like a heavy duty truck axle? I need to put something in the center of these.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-06-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Merged, posts a minutes apart
Tralfaz Blecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Tralfaz Blecht's SCX10II - Evolution of a First RC Crawler

SSD and locked up RC make hub covers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I can wait to see how it looks once I put the narrower real axle in. As of now it's unacceptable. Looks kind of goofy. I do like how this angle makes the paint look pretty good... it ain't that good.

Getting Truggy With It..?

So, since I slaughtered the paint job on the bed... And did an awful job trimming it, I may try to do a flat bed or a truggy cage thing. I have a magnet kit to figure out too. These pics are just mock-ups so far. I do like it without the bed though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
SSD and locked up RC make hub covers.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I'll have a look at these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz Blecht View Post
Getting Truggy With It..?

I was under the impression that "truggy" was the combination of a truck and buggy, such as the Honcho. It seems that from a word combo I was right, but not quite correct concerning the type of RC vehicle I thought it was. Thanks to Google I was corrected when I started searching roll cage ideas.

I found another rookie mistake. Having ordered 1.7" wheels because I thought they would look better with the Power Wagon body, I didn't take into account the steering linkage. It's rubbing right at the edge of the tire and rim. This may also be a result of the wheel offset which I understand but did not know any better when ordering. Soooo... I did order some stubby lockouts and shafts to narrow the rear a tad with the dually setup (I have 1st gen SCX10 axle kits to build for the lockout and shaft swap). Now I'm wondering how to space out the front wheels just enough to provide adequate clearance of the steering linkage. My guess is to find some wider hex hubs? Is that a thing? If so I'll have to sort what is standard and how much wider to go. I just want enough to clear the steering parts.

I don't really expect people to just answer all of my questions here or even read this. I'm just keeping a log for myself and if I get a few answers or suggestions that's great. I'll search the forums too.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-06-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I think the concept is interesting for sure....I guess it depends on what you're going to do with it when it's all said and done. I would be worried that if you were going to narrow it up for its current set-up that you would not find it as stable on a side incline if you were going to go crawling with it. But if your not going to really use it as a crawler anymore it probably won't matter to you
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
I found another rookie mistake. Having ordered 1.7" wheels because I thought they would look better with the Power Wagon body, I didn't take into account the steering linkage. It's rubbing right at the edge of the tire and rim. This may also be a result of the wheel offset which I understand but did not know any better when ordering. Soooo... I did order some stubby lockouts and shafts to narrow the rear a tad with the dually setup (I have 1st gen SCX10 axle kits to build for the lockout and shaft swap). Now I'm wondering how to space out the front wheels just enough to provide adequate clearance of the steering linkage. My guess is to find some wider hex hubs? Is that a thing? If so I'll have to sort what is standard and how much wider to go. I just want enough to clear the steering parts.

I don't really expect people to just answer all of my questions here or even read this. I'm just keeping a log for myself and if I get a few answers or suggestions that's great. I'll search the forums too.

You can find wider hexes on eBay, and wheel wideners if the hubs aren't enough.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:38 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANATICRC View Post
I think the concept is interesting for sure....I guess it depends on what you're going to do with it when it's all said and done. I would be worried that if you were going to narrow it up for its current set-up that you would not find it as stable on a side incline if you were going to go crawling with it. But if your not going to really use it as a crawler anymore it probably won't matter to you
I'm just trying to narrow the rear axle up some to compensate for the dualies. It will still be wider than stock in the rear. I do plan to use it as a crawler and I'm up i the air about a few things as far as the Power Wagon body. I may just start piling up parts the Power Wagon and ponder it a bit. I jumped the gun with a grand notion in my head of this truck but I don't want to be without a running crawler for too long. I need 2 rigs for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
You can find wider hexes on eBay, and wheel wideners if the hubs aren't enough.
Thank you! The wider hexes are what I was after. I just need some clearance so those will probably do it.

Last edited by THX_138; 03-06-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've hit a snag or two with the Power Wagon parts and I have decided to hold off on that body for a few reasons.

As shown above, I've got a few issues with the wheel spacing. The rear wheels need to come in a bit with the duals... Is it duallies or duallys or something different? None of it looks right spelled out. Anyhow, the front wheels rub the steering linkage so I need to add wider hex hubs. I've got all of the axle and hub parts purchased already. I also want to make an attempt at building a Honcho type bed and cage using nylon rod stock. I've ordered some materials and I'm waiting for them to show up. I've made a thread concerning that and I hope I can make it work.

The main thing is that I want to have a vehicle in running order at all times, and a project or two on the side. This is my first one, so I'm working on it. I'm a bit torn between the scaler side and the basher side. I love how seemingly indestructible the basic lexan stock Axial SCX10s are. So I'm thinking the power wagon may end up being my attempt at some semi-scaler type of build and I'm planning on doing a ground up build on a chassis for it.

I did keep moving on the Honcho though. I installed a HobbyWing 1080 ESC and a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 550 21t. That was my first attempt with what I thought was complicated programm-y crap and it turned out to be pretty easy. Thanks go to all of the folks who helped me along in the Tech Questions thread.

I also added a set of Duratrax Deep Woods 1.9s I found on Amazon. They have great ratings, I hope I like the performance. They give it kind of a Tonka truck look. Not sure if I like that or not. I didn't get to test them out though.

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 03-11-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I also built a tire rack. I found a piece of closet rack and bent it into shape. Works great but it's already almost full... only 4 of the 6 dually tires are in there.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Aside from all of that, I bought an SCX10 Deadbolt. Not too sure what I'll do to that one yet.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I also like the Hobbywing 1080 ESC; very easy to program and customize!

I like the paint job on the Power Wagon; I'd say use the bed and build some custom fenders that will cover the dually wheels [internetz say this is correct spellin'] You can always mount some gas cans in the area in front of the wheels to hide any imperfections. I can sit here and pick apart my paint job as well; we are our own worse critics!
retro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:32 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
I also like the Hobbywing 1080 ESC; very easy to program and customize!

I like the paint job on the Power Wagon; I'd say use the bed and build some custom fenders that will cover the dually wheels [internetz say this is correct spellin'] You can always mount some gas cans in the area in front of the wheels to hide any imperfections. I can sit here and pick apart my paint job as well; we are our own worse critics!
Thank you. I'm compiling a parts list for the Power Wagon so I'll have some time to think about it. While I do like the paint scheme and it's kind of interesting painting from the inside, I don't think I like the faux gloss effect as much as I like paint on the outside that actually gets trail scars. The paint job I did on the Honcho body was originally because I thought of it as a basher (still is) and didn't think it would grow on me so much. If I can build a cool Honcho type cage to fit the Wagon then I will do that body up kind of sporty. I already think I want to do a Power Wagon scaler with leaf springs as I've seen done here so that may be another body down the road. We'll see.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:07 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I ended up near where I grew up today and went to Edward Medard Park near Plant City, FL. This place was an old phosphate mine so all of the "hills" are just piles of earth left from the mining many years ago. They are covered in beautiful oak trees and since it's just Florida dirt/sand, the erosion makes all kids of root art. Great place for trail trucks. There are no real rocks, no rubble. What looks like rock is just compacted sand so traction is limited. I'm very happy with my motor and ESC upgrades and the new tires did good. They look a little less toy like with some dirt on them too. Anyways, I took a few glamour shots. Little truck takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. I took several horrible looking spills but no damage aside from trail tattoos.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:01 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Nice pics! The third one down with the sun coming through is a desktop wall paper waiting to happen!

What about using the Honcho cage you have? Can you move it forward to the PW cab and then move the rear axle forward with some new links?
Old 03-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
Nice pics! The third one down with the sun coming through is a desktop wall paper waiting to happen!

What about using the Honcho cage you have? Can you move it forward to the PW cab and then move the rear axle forward with some new links?
Thank you very much! I like phone-togrophy... Not always good at it. Take enough pics and eventually a few look ok. Double-tap. I'm really trying to get decent with some vids too. That's not as easy, but I keep trying.

I think the main issue with the Honcho cage is that the cage follows the roof line of the truck. I don't know if it would look right with the narrower and rounded roof of the Power Wagon. I'll see how it goes when I get the nylon rods. I'm also very interested in brazing or soldering metal. I just plan to experiment and take baby steps. I did a flying faceplant into this hobby and I'm loving it so far. There are so many different skills to learn and parts to destroy and fix and rebuild and paint and replace and swap...

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 03-14-2018 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Grrrramarz.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:20 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Today I was in Clearwater, FL on Tampa Bay. I was born in Tampa, my true home, my love forever. Even if I don't see myself moving back anytime soon. I work in FL every week, so I get my fix.

Anyways, I took some more glamour shots. This is the Sports Illustrated Honcho Swimsuit Issue.

Little truck has played around for a few days without a bath. I didn't get it in the salt water, but I'll rinse it off really good after the beach sand exposure for sure.

Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I've been playing with videos too. I have a lot of work to do on this subject. This one looks kind of crappy. Had the camera (my phone) zoomed. I'm just now learning a few editing things. Here is a creature crawling out of the sea. I make a cameo in the windshield at the end. Cool accident.

0314181549Trim (2)
Old 03-15-2018, 01:13 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you very much! I like phone-togrophy... Not always good at it. Take enough pics and eventually a few look ok. Double-tap. I'm really trying to get decent with some vids too. That's not as easy, but I keep trying.

I think the main issue with the Honcho cage is that the cage follows the roof line of the truck. I don't know if it would look right with the narrower and rounded roof of the Power Wagon. I'll see how it goes when I get the nylon rods. I'm also very interested in brazing or soldering metal. I just plan to experiment and take baby steps. I did a flying faceplant into this hobby and I'm loving it so far. There are so many different skills to learn and parts to destroy and fix and rebuild and paint and replace and swap...
Another option for nylon rod is Plastic hangers. They have curves and everything built in, and easy to work with, and come in a multitude of colors.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Another option for nylon rod is Plastic hangers. They have curves and everything built in, and easy to work with, and come in a multitude of colors.
I will keep that in mind. Thank you.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
This is the Sports Illustrated Honcho Swimsuit Issue.
Sexy!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I had a pretty busy weekend, both with my toys and life in general. My grandfather died on the 4th of July and his headstone was just installed this weekend. We all went out to the grave site and had a little family visit. He had a few hundred acres outside of Cedartown, GA which is still owned by our family. I hadn't been out there since he died and it was a bit weird out there without him. He pretty much lived there 80% of the time going home to his in-town house just enough to do some chores. Anyways, it's beautiful there and I took my Honcho out to play for a bit. I'm still trying to get some decent video skills going. These are short and basically a few takes of the same area from two different angles. Nothing to brag about but better than my last attempts. Hopefully my videos will evolve along with my vehicles and my crawling skills. These are slowed down some. I'm working on my scale crawling smoothness, but I slow the vids mainly to improve the scale look of the moving water. I've noticed that water doesn't look right at normal speed with a little truck going through it. Slowing it makes it look a lot better. Is that cheating..?

Woods 3 Final

Woods 2 Final

Last edited by Tralfaz Blecht; 03-19-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Tralfaz Blecht's SCX10II - Evolution of a First RC Crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buttery Smooth! Axial SCX10II Bleeded Shock Mod - A Must Do all SCX10II joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 58 07-13-2020 09:44 AM
Evolution of my RS10 XT Crawler abhisheknakhwa Redcat Crawlers 7 06-12-2018 06:05 AM
evolution of my micro crawler a ex ten Micro Scale Rigs 5 07-10-2015 09:50 PM
Final evolution of a TLT chassied crawler. egdinger Tamiya TLT Crawlers 10 10-06-2005 07:08 PM