Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCXII Deadbolt Coming Soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCXII Deadbolt Coming Soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_in_real_life View Post
What's the draw of the deadbolt? I never understood the first version either.

Sent from my SM-J727R4 using Tapatalk
- I liked old Broncos and Scouts (had 1:1 both) and the Deadbolt was close
- It wasn't a Jeep
- I liked the fenderless design
- I kinda liked even the cheesy interior (it has the Master Chief's head now)
- I liked it already had the roll cage and lights

Wait, change all that to "like"...it's still my favorite rig out of 11
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

I just mean, I know some guys praised the Deadbolt above any other optioned rig out there. I never understood it because it didn't offer anything different or better than any other RTR or Kit. Aside from styling

Dan_in_real_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:59 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Lemme see here... I'd like one with, ummm..... well, I'd like the body with a canvas soft-top hiding the cage and half-assed interior, the plastic lightbar removed, on a Wroncho setup with all metal links and gears, servo on axle. So, actually - just the body would be fine - from whoever hates the green, 'cause I like it - damn, wish someone would hurry up and release more earth-tone colors in polycarb-safe paint. I've got the OCP AR60 axles already, just build up the rest from some aftermarket chassis rails. I like the general look of the Deadbolt, but have always thought the "tubing" of the cage and the lightbar looked too thick to be scale... and while I'm not an interior kinda guy, I'd personally rather hide the one from the 'Bolt as it's so limited in depth. Needs a ShapeWays grille, too. And, while I'm pretending to build this into a rig I'd really like in my head - a set of aluminum copies of the wheels would be nice - I have the Incision Methods, but they have a flat face - a convex-faced more accurate version would be pretty sweet. Oh, and definitely throw that ridiculous bumper away - what was wrong with the old one?

Mental build complete.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:33 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Lemme see here... I'd like one with, ummm..... well, I'd like the body with a canvas soft-top hiding the cage and half-assed interior, the plastic lightbar removed, on a Wroncho setup with all metal links and gears, servo on axle. So, actually - just the body would be fine - from whoever hates the green, 'cause I like it - damn, wish someone would hurry up and release more earth-tone colors in polycarb-safe paint. I've got the OCP AR60 axles already, just build up the rest from some aftermarket chassis rails. I like the general look of the Deadbolt, but have always thought the "tubing" of the cage and the lightbar looked too thick to be scale... and while I'm not an interior kinda guy, I'd personally rather hide the one from the 'Bolt as it's so limited in depth. Needs a ShapeWays grille, too. And, while I'm pretending to build this into a rig I'd really like in my head - a set of aluminum copies of the wheels would be nice - I have the Incision Methods, but they have a flat face - a convex-faced more accurate version would be pretty sweet. Oh, and definitely throw that ridiculous bumper away - what was wrong with the old one?

Mental build complete.
"Dear Santa..."
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 06:44 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
I just mean, I know some guys praised the Deadbolt above any other optioned rig out there. I never understood it because it didn't offer anything different or better than any other RTR or Kit. Aside from styling

Price was the biggest selling point. It was ~$50 less than the next lowest cost version IIRC. This one is $30 less than the new Honcho. If you're going to buy a RTR and upgrade everything anyway, you may as well start with the cheapest one.

I like the Deadbolt body once you stick a 3D grille on it. I'm just not a fan of this color. Because its so Bronco like, they look good with that type of color you'd find on that vintage bronco. Tamiya's Corsa Blue looks awesome.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #26
Rock Stacker

I guess some options appeal to the right people. Same reason I bought a Honcho over the CRC though. It's just what appealed to myself and what I wanted to do with it.

Dan_in_real_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:59 AM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Price was the biggest selling point. It was ~$50 less than the next lowest cost version IIRC. This one is $30 less than the new Honcho. If you're going to buy a RTR and upgrade everything anyway, you may as well start with the cheapest one.

I like the Deadbolt body once you stick a 3D grille on it. I'm just not a fan of this color. Because its so Bronco like, they look good with that type of color you'd find on that vintage bronco. Tamiya's Corsa Blue looks awesome.
It is a very good value buy for anyone who wants to make a custom build with the old AX10 transmission.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
When the OG Deadbolt came out, it was the first to come with the dual disk slipper clutch with 32P gears and the WB HD driveshafts. Both of those were pretty significant upgrades over the old stuff on the other RTRs. A better slipper, a stronger spur gear, and driveshafts that didn't twist into oblivion for $50 less than the other versions was pretty appealing at the time.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid View Post
Mehh, it seems like their usual recipe of putting a different body what ever the newest rendition of the honcho chassis is out there and calling it a 'new' vehicle.

With that being said, I'm currently enjoying a Dolt myself, I got it over the winter with the intention of keeping it as stock as possible and only upgrading when something gets destroyed beyond the point of repairing. I'm using all stock electronics and so far they work 'good enough'. I did ditch the slipper/ 32p gears and used an AX10 input shaft and some 87/12 48P gears to gain a bit of slow speed control. So far it's been a fun rig with minimal effort or money.

So after doing a quick look at the new version of the Dolt, I think that $300 for a reasonably capable rig straight out of the box isn't too bad of a deal.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Ill stick with the Honcho, deadbolt is just ugly to me.
roadrashracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

What's the latest news on the k5? I just sunk some more money into axles and wheels for my kit, but want that body.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

I think this is obviously aimed at the newbie. $300 for an RTR is not a bad deal, considering the Jeep one lists for over $400. If I'm looking to grab one for one of my kids, its perfect.

Imagine if Axial decided to build a balls-out RTR with all the goodies. What would the cost be? They know we are all going to mod them anyway, so they are aiming for an intended audience IMO. Phasing out the original SCX, having a 4th option for an RTR SCXII, it had to happen. My guess is there will be a G6 bodied kit version soon as well.

First thing I'd do with it is take off that giant light bar, remove that brick of a front bumper (seriously, who designed that?) and put something a little smaller up there. After that, for what it is, I kind of like it.

Last edited by zjguy721; 04-19-2018 at 11:16 PM.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post

Imagine if Axial decided to build a balls-out RTR with all the goodies. What would the cost be? They know we are all going to mod them anyway, so they are aiming for an intended audience IMO. Phasing out the original SCX, having a 4th option for an RTR SCXII, it had to happen. My guess is there will be a G6 bodied kit version soon as well.
Thats basically the red JK. It has universals, steel links, LEDs, scale details, metal trans gears, etc. I cant think of a better optioned Axial RTR.

Several months ago, Tower "leaked" the SCX10 II Honcho, Deadbolt, and a '69 K5 Blazer in one of their catalogs. I'm hoping that the K5 is not going to be a low end model like the Deadbolt and Honcho. A kit would be awesome, but I'd be happy if it was optioned as well as the JK.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Thats basically the red JK. It has universals, steel links, LEDs, scale details, metal trans gears, etc. I cant think of a better optioned Axial RTR.

Several months ago, Tower "leaked" the SCX10 II Honcho, Deadbolt, and a '69 K5 Blazer in one of their catalogs. I'm hoping that the K5 is not going to be a low end model like the Deadbolt and Honcho. A kit would be awesome, but I'd be happy if it was optioned as well as the JK.

I agree, it has some nice scale details and some good upgrades. I meant things that we all do, like alloy chubs/knuckles, a working winch, alloy beadlocks, etc, etc. I shudder to even think of adding up all that I've put into rigs over the years.

As far as a K5 goes, there could be a couple ways it could go. A '69 had a fully removable hardtop, so it could be simply a body like the G6 or Deadbolt with the same cage. Heck, you could slap a few different stickers on the Deadbolt body and call it a Blazer. Or hopefully it is a nice scale body with a removable hardtop, molded grill and scale parts, etc.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjguy721 View Post
I agree, it has some nice scale details and some good upgrades. I meant things that we all do, like alloy chubs/knuckles, a working winch, alloy beadlocks, etc, etc. I shudder to even think of adding up all that I've put into rigs over the years.

They made a limited edition kit: https://youtu.be/dmAHBM1flTQ

calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Ahh the good old "get more likes and views on our channel" trick.

It's fake...

Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
Ahh the good old "get more likes and views on our channel" trick.

It's fake...

That sure was a clever click bait tactic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:03 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:

It was cheap got mine for $225.. with discounts.

Quote:
Some people have baby hands and can't stand to hold large objects.

That sounds like a personal issue.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:44 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
It was cheap got mine for $225.. with discounts.
Where?! When?
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:21 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Saw, Axial SCX10 II 2000 Jeep Cherokee Rock Crawler Kit is on Sale now on Amain Hobbies. So does it means new kit coming out soon? I hope so
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote

SCXII Deadbolt Coming Soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ScxII Killer Body LC70 Mods asimmd Axial SCX10 II 3 10-04-2017 12:59 PM
The northkona SCXii Raptor pre-runner. northkona 1.9 Scale Rigs 48 04-20-2017 04:52 PM