Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Scx10 ii kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Scx10 ii kit build

Started my build today. I gained a ton of knowledge of the inner workings of these rigs. I bought my ascender rtr so it basically got a battery and the green light. I got through the axles, shocks, transmission, transfer case, and the links today. The transmission was a bit of a challenge. It went together but felt gritty. I flipped over the gear and it helped some. I made a spacer for the top shaft to eliminate the end play. Most of the noise is gone and I'm confident it will break in easily. I wish they would have included a few extra e-clips on the shocks. I didn't lose any, but it had me nervous that one would shoot across the room never to be seen again. As always the search function and youtube really helped. Thanks again for everyone's contributions to the site. It really helps when I have questions!
Capt J-rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Scx10 ii kit build

Good job on the build. What did you use for a topshaft spacer? As for e-clips, some guys put them together inside a ziplock with a towel underneath so if one does fly then it'll just drop onto the towel. ;)
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 06:34 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

There was an extra tube on the parts tree that would be used for the two speed transmission. I cut it down to 8mm and slipped it in there. I won't be making the rig into a two speed, so no big deal. Everyone says the end play is no big deal, but it was driving me nuts. I probably took it apart three times before I was happy. Make sure not to over tighten the case as it made things more noisy. I'm really liking the connection with the truck from building it. Everyone says "waterproof"... Well there are no seals in the transmission, transfer case, or differentials. When these guys on youtube play submarine with their rigs, water is getting in there. I don't think you'll see either of my rigs crossing a river LOL. A puddle or snow is one thing, but submerging your truck would require breaking it down and cleaning it up. I also polished my gears with the Dremel and a wire wheel then buffing wheel before grease. It made things a lot smoother. Its an overkill, but I like things smooth and quiet. Some rigs we crawl with sound like a pepper mill LOL.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Added another shim on the top shaft where it goes into the bearing that carries it in the case. I had a little growl left, but now it is gone. When I put the body on it became an echo chamber and amplified the growl. I'm kinda disappointed that this had to be done. I hope it all breaks in and settles down, but I have to say I had higher expectations for the "legendary SCX10-ii". The kit is supposed to be the better of the rigs. My vaterra ascender is quieter and smoother. I still like the axial and plan to get some great miles out of it. We are debating the idea of an "out of the box, bone stock class" at our LHS. Different bodies are ok, but zero mods or weight. Haven't decided about tires. It keeps the door open for new guys. Anyways for guys that are building the kit, that growl can be shimmed out with enough patience and some spare parts on the tree.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Finished the kit today... The body takes some time. The grille is a bitch. It took a lot of patience to fit it correctly. For anyone who tries in the future I used some sandpaper to get the fit perfect. I shoe goo'ed the top and super glued the bottom. The front bumper sticks out a country mile. I think I am going to cut the posts and try to tuck it in further. I broke down and ordered the vanquish top shaft. My spacers and shims have the trans quiet or now, but plastic will wear out quickly. I also picked up a bearing to replace the cheesy bushing in the slipper clutch. The stock tires leave a lot to be desired, so I see some bead locks and tires in the near future. The roof rack was a PIA as well to get mounted. I sprayed some flex seal inside the body after the paint job to stiffen it up and hopefully make it a little tougher. Overall it was a good kit, and everything was there. Now to see if it will out crawl my ascender!

Scx10 ii kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 02-25-2018 09:30 AM
SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 09:02 PM
My SCX10 II Kit Build w/ Pics (First Ever Kit Build) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 08:54 PM