Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II
Loading

Notices

Thread: Need upgrade advice

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2018, 09:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 792
Default Need upgrade advice

I got my Trail Honcho today and installed some upgrades I had bought in anticipation. Beadlock axial wheels with hyrax tires, aluminum servo horn, HH 27t 550 motor(dremeled the battery tray) and waiting on a heyok bec to install my savox 1211 waterproof hv servo.

I have a set of the 8 emaxx big bores coming, so I have shocks and replacement shocks coming. Got em for a steal at 70$ and I love the big bores in general. I have 30-40 more dollars to spend and I was trying to think what would give the best durability / performance.

I was thinking a set of steel links, but I dont know who has good ones. Any ideas? If you were in my position, what 40$ upgrade would you do knowing its the last part you can put on for 2 months?
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2018, 10:05 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hanford
Posts: 318
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

Steel trans gears, knuckles, cvd's, or front shock hoops. Not sure if I'd go with Maxx size shocks though. May be a bit too tall.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 143
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

Id start with CVDs


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster 550 View Post
Steel trans gears, knuckles, cvd's, or front shock hoops. Not sure if I'd go with Maxx size shocks though. May be a bit too tall.
I got the 92mm ones, which are the same size as the ones on the trail honcho. I just measured to be sure hehe

What brand are yall using for CVDs? MIP seems overkill for this, I wonder if my slash set of MIPs could fit??

Last edited by THX_138; 05-15-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:39 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SC Mtns
Posts: 12
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

Incision.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:29 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hanford
Posts: 318
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

Don't think you got the Maxx shocks then if they're 92mm so that's good. Also don't think mip makes cvd's for axial trucks. The incision or even the axial universals will be an upgrade for the rtr honchos front axle. Do what I do when on a $50ish budget... Toss a few items in an rpp hobby cart til you reach $50 and use the 10% off coupon. It's a good way to add a scale item or something extra in for "free". My problem is I'm in CA so have to pay tax.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #7
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 838
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

Get metal steering links to go with your new servo. Doesn't matter how strong it is if you are pushing on a rubbery tie rod and drag link.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

IMHO, the most important things to have will be the componenets that add durability. In my mind, that means:

(in the order of importance)
Metal trans gears (some Honcho's may have them already? I'm not sure.)
Metal knuckles
Metal c-hubs
Metal steering
Metal Suspension links

I don't understand why people are recommending CVD's at all. In my experience, the 10.2 universals are better than any CVD. But maybe the Honcho is spec'd with something different?
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:03 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 143
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
IMHO, the most important things to have will be the componenets that add durability. In my mind, that means:

(in the order of importance)
Metal trans gears (some Honcho's may have them already? I'm not sure.)
Metal knuckles
Metal c-hubs
Metal steering
Metal Suspension links

I don't understand why people are recommending CVD's at all. In my experience, the 10.2 universals are better than any CVD. But maybe the Honcho is spec'd with something different?


The Honcho comes with dogbones, so steering is not as good as the original rtr


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:40 AM   #10
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosser View Post
The Honcho comes with dogbones, so steering is not as good as the original rtr


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha, thanks.


In that case, I'd place universals (not CVD's) right after knuckles and before hubs on the priority list.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
Moderator
 
JatoTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 13,935
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

I'd go for Axial universals, but they might be more than your budget.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #12
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosser View Post
The Honcho comes with dogbones, so steering is not as good as the original rtr


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im confused, I dont see dogbones anywhere. They look like CVDs. They look almost like plastic version of my slash MIP CVDs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster 550 View Post
Don't think you got the Maxx shocks then if they're 92mm so that's good. Also don't think mip makes cvd's for axial trucks. The incision or even the axial universals will be an upgrade for the rtr honchos front axle. Do what I do when on a $50ish budget... Toss a few items in an rpp hobby cart til you reach $50 and use the 10% off coupon. It's a good way to add a scale item or something extra in for "free". My problem is I'm in CA so have to pay tax.
You were right, they are the 103mm ones. I found some threads tho and they work fine on an scx10ii.

Checked my trans gears, I hit the sintered metal jackpot! No plastic in there.

Can someone link me to a good steering universal? Or perhaps the axial part number at least?

Last edited by THX_138; 05-15-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hanford
Posts: 318
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

You're thinking of your driveshafts, not universals. The honcho comes with dog bones in the front axle so your steering is limited.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #14
RCC Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Kelowna, BC
Posts: 1,274
Default Re: Need upgrade advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Can someone link me to a good steering universal? Or perhaps the axial part number at least?
Axial Racing - AR44 Universal Axle Set (2pcs)
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
budget, hop up, scx10ii, trail honcho, upgrade



Need upgrade advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade advice Ashley S Axial Yeti XL 13 08-21-2016 10:43 PM
New Wraith, Need upgrade advice OsiViper Axial Wraith 19 02-10-2014 12:38 PM
Upgrade advice idk General Scale Talk 2 08-16-2013 02:44 PM
advice on next upgrade gobucks Tamiya TLT Crawlers 13 12-07-2007 03:35 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com