Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Trail Honcho Top Heavy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Trail Honcho Top Heavy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelee View Post
Oh, you can. Don't misunderstand. But to have all the aluminum parts that would go on them that come already on the Vanquish axles, is what I was pointing out.
But yes, just the housings for the added weight... $50 or so. Great upgrade

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ah ok I get ya now. yeah I try and stay to a budget so being able to piece it all out is nice. I didnt look at those versions of the vanquish axles, the ones I saw were 299$, and I only paid 329 for the truck lol. If they sold it piece by piece it would be an easier spend than 300 up front ya know?
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 PM   #22
RCC Addict

You can. He's pointing out that if you want a more even comparison, you would also want the HD aluminum link mounts, diff covers, and c hubs. Knuckles would likely be purchased either way, so $180 vs $285 for Curries. Using stock parts on the SSDs would obviously be much cheaper than Curries.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
You can. He's pointing out that if you want a more even comparison, you would also want the HD aluminum link mounts, diff covers, and c hubs. Knuckles would likely be purchased either way, so $180 vs $285 for Curries. Using stock parts on the SSDs would obviously be much cheaper than Curries.
Do you think there is a 100$ gap in quality though? Like does the Curries perform / last better than the SSDs? Im guessing the difference is because they are machined from a single piece? I know industrial stuff is very expensive to machine, I imagine this being hobby stuff is why it costs so much.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:19 PM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Do you think there is a 100$ gap in quality though? Like does the Curries perform / last better than the SSDs? Im guessing the difference is because they are machined from a single piece? I know industrial stuff is very expensive to machine, I imagine this being hobby stuff is why it costs so much.
I think the SSD's may weigh a bit more than the Curries. So in so far as strictly from a performance improvement point of view, I don't see why SSD wouldn't be a good choice. Internally the Curries have one design advantage in how the bearings at either side of the lockers mount. SSD's clamp in, where the Curries have a pillow block style mounting. But in so far as the cost. Currie's are also an officially licenced scale reproduction of a 1:1 axle

Unclelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Has anyone tried the hot racing bolt on axle brass weights? They look like they would get hung up on everything...
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Has anyone tried the hot racing bolt on axle brass weights? They look like they would get hung up on everything...
I haven't read this whole thread, but a good source of weight down low is the incision 1/4" stainless steel links. They are around $60. I have found they add weight and move much more freely than the stock SCX10II metal links, and have the added bonus of giving a bit tighter turning radius. But I think the Honcho has the CVD's in the front. So that may need to be changed for the tighter turning radius. Harley did an episode on the Honcho budget build off about changing the front drive axles

Last edited by Unclelee; 05-22-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:31 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I haven't read this whole thread, but a good source of weight down low is the incision 1/4" stainless steel links. They are around $60. I have found they add weight and move much more freely than the stock SCX10II metal links, and have the added bonus of giving a bit tighter turning radius.

I wanted to pick those up, but for some weird reason they dont come with rod ends? They say to use the stock rod ends, but my trail honcho has all plastic links that dont have screw on rod ends so I dont know what I would need to be able to use them : (
Old 05-22-2018, 10:35 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

No, they come complete even have the little steel balls with them.
I'll see if I can get you a link
Quote:
I wanted to pick those up, but for some weird reason they dont come with rod ends? They say to use the stock rod ends, but my trail honcho has all plastic links that dont have screw on rod ends so I dont know what I would need to be able to use them : (
Old 05-22-2018, 10:38 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Here you go
https://www.hobbyzone.com/vpsirc0007...RoCx3UQAvD_BwE

Old 05-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Here you go
https://www.hobbyzone.com/vpsirc0007...RoCx3UQAvD_BwE

OOoooo thank you for that link!
Old 05-22-2018, 11:58 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Incisions come with Revo rod ends.

I do not yet own a set of the SSD housings, but I do plan on buying some shortly. I do own two sets of 10.2 Curries. One Rock Jock and one F9. Of those two, I prefer the F9s.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I think the SSD's may weigh a bit more than the Curries. So in so far as strictly from a performance improvement point of view, I don't see why SSD wouldn't be a good choice. Internally the Curries have one design advantage in how the bearings at either side of the lockers mount. SSD's clamp in, where the Curries have a pillow block style mounting. But in so far as the cost. Currie's are also an officially licenced scale reproduction of a 1:1 axle

Plastic center section and steel tubes slide much better over rock than aluminum. Aluminum is kinda like Velcro on rock.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:48 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Incisions come with Revo rod ends.

I do not yet own a set of the SSD housings, but I do plan on buying some shortly. I do own two sets of 10.2 Curries. One Rock Jock and one F9. Of those two, I prefer the F9s.
The F9's are plain sexy.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

Interesting; I guess because aluminum is more malleable so can create catch points?

Trail Honcho Top Heavy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 04-06-2014 09:08 AM
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 03-24-2014 05:02 AM
top heavy. what will help?? stanmondz General Scale Talk 6 06-10-2012 05:42 PM
cr-01 top heavy Witz Tamiya CR-01 7 10-14-2008 09:27 PM