Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Trail Honcho Top Heavy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2018, 10:36 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Trail Honcho Top Heavy

Any ideas on how to reduce or compensate for my honcho being top heavy? It seems to roll over very easily. I have pics of my truck and have some 3d printed stuff on it, but I dont think it would add weight up high as most of it is on the bed. What do yall do to stop from rolling over and going up semi steep to steep inclines?
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Trail Honcho Top Heavy

Ad weight down low. Heavy wheels, incision 1/4" stainless steel links, hardened steel drive shafts, beef tubes, exc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Any ideas on how to reduce or compensate for my honcho being top heavy? It seems to roll over very easily. I have pics of my truck and have some 3d printed stuff on it, but I dont think it would add weight up high as most of it is on the bed. What do yall do to stop from rolling over and going up semi steep to steep inclines?
Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Unclelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:40 AM   #3

ANY weight up high affects RCs. To prove this, just remove your body and try to climb something you normally can't make when the body is installed. You'll probably make it. You wouldn't think a light, Lexan body affects the vehicle but it does to a great extent.

You can go old school and put lead weights in the wheels or go more modern and get knuckle weights. Beef Tubes are great, but I'm not sure they are made for the SCX10 II.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I added vp Currie axles, beef tubes brass knuckles, and SSD wheels. Try getting your body as low as possible on your chassis.
monster 550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelee View Post
That's good to know, I'd wondered if beef tubes would work in the Currie's

Not tubes, I used their brass knuckles.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The scx10II beef tubes are different than OG scx10 as they replace splined end of the housing thus you can only buy new beeftube axles with tubes installed.
NitroDarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Ok thank you guys. I saw that Hot Racing sells brass weights that go on the axles and weigh about 140 grams. I plan to get brass knuckles eventually too. How much added weight is too much?
Old 05-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ok thank you guys. I saw that Hot Racing sells brass weights that go on the axles and weigh about 140 grams. I plan to get brass knuckles eventually too. How much added weight is too much?
When you start breaking parts!

Reality is heavy rigs look very realistic moving across terrain. The problem is the heavy rigs are hard on drivetrain parts, and if that weight is rotating, it is exponentially more so.

Brass knuckles, beef tubes, and the like are not bad weight. Heavy wheels and weight up high hurt performance.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
ANY weight up high affects RCs. To prove this, just remove your body and try to climb something you normally can't make when the body is installed. You'll probably make it. You wouldn't think a light, Lexan body affects the vehicle but it does to a great extent.

You can go old school and put lead weights in the wheels or go more modern and get knuckle weights. Beef Tubes are great, but I'm not sure they are made for the SCX10 II.
Did this out on the rocks today, and it did crawl a lot better without the body. I need to get weight down low somehow on the cheap. Lead weights in the wheels seems the easiest, but people say it destroys your drivetrain parts. Any advice?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I'd try stainless lower links and go from there.
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Did this out on the rocks today, and it did crawl a lot better without the body. I need to get weight down low somehow on the cheap. Lead weights in the wheels seems the easiest, but people say it destroys your drivetrain parts. Any advice?
Meh,

It dosn't destroy drivetrain parts, It is just harder on them. Do it. you won't be dissapointed.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Meh,

It dosn't destroy drivetrain parts, It is just harder on them. Do it. you won't be dissapointed.
I think I will too. If something breaks ill just get hardened gears.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I put 4 oz in the front and 3 in the back tires, modded my battery tray to hold my 10500mah 2s more forward. Now the truck crawls wonderfully and doesnt even turtle at around 75 degrees compared to say 50 before.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Installing weight in the tires is a cheap way to add weight but is not the best. It is harder on your drivetrain. That doesn't mean that stuff will immediately start falling apart, its just going to add a little more strain that non rotational weight or rotating weight that is at least closer to the center of the axle (Beef Patties).

SSD makes a couple different axle housings that have steel tubes and a plastic center section. That will add a bit of weight in a good spot and they are reasonably priced. You would need to buy c hubs for your front axle though since the Honcho's are molded into the axle housing. SSD also has some nice brass knuckles.

Don't get too crazy with adding weight.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:55 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Have you tried lowering your ride height?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster 550 View Post
Have you tried lowering your ride height?
Im all the way down in the back and took the front down as low as I can without hitting the body all the time. I took it out today and it performed a lot better with the wheel weight. Another thing I did is modified my battery tray so I could use my 2s 10500mah battery which is huge and heavy and it goes pretty far forward which helped as well. I have some brass knuckles and the disc break metal accessory on order for some lower down non rotational weight. The weight in the tires helped a lot as well. I think once I get the knuckles I should fair even better. I am thinking about buying the axial stainless steel links 2 at a time to help as well.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Installing weight in the tires is a cheap way to add weight but is not the best. It is harder on your drivetrain. That doesn't mean that stuff will immediately start falling apart, its just going to add a little more strain that non rotational weight or rotating weight that is at least closer to the center of the axle (Beef Patties).

SSD makes a couple different axle housings that have steel tubes and a plastic center section. That will add a bit of weight in a good spot and they are reasonably priced. You would need to buy c hubs for your front axle though since the Honcho's are molded into the axle housing. SSD also has some nice brass knuckles.

Don't get too crazy with adding weight.
I saw those SSD axle housings, I plan to get them eventually. I think they are only about 50$ compared to vanquish ones that are almost 300$ hehe.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I saw those SSD axle housings, I plan to get them eventually. I think they are only about 50$ compared to vanquish ones that are almost 300$ hehe.
Well, housing yes...but bare.
This is how much they really cost vs vanquish. Note knuckles are included on the SSD quote but not the Curries

Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclelee View Post
Well, housing yes...but bare.
This is how much they really cost vs vanquish. Note knuckles are included on the SSD quote but not the Curries

Weird, on the SSD website it says you can reuse all the stock parts for those...
Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Weird, on the SSD website it says you can reuse all the stock parts for those...
Oh, you can. Don't misunderstand. But to have all the aluminum parts that would go on them that come already on the Vanquish axles, is what I was pointing out.
But yes, just the housings for the added weight... $50 or so. Great upgrade

Trail Honcho Top Heavy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 04-06-2014 09:08 AM
RC4WD Trail finder 2 Axial SCX10 Honcho Rusty Bug honcho wraith at Durian Loop Trail boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 03-24-2014 05:02 AM
top heavy. what will help?? stanmondz General Scale Talk 6 06-10-2012 05:42 PM
cr-01 top heavy Witz Tamiya CR-01 7 10-14-2008 09:27 PM