Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Thloftus’ SCX10 II father’s day build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Thloftus’ SCX10 II father’s day build

Going to build a SCX10 II kit with my young kids. It will be their first build, although they’ve played along on previous builds. I’m going to have them do all of the work (advisor only, lol), so don’t expect rapid progress! It’s not exactly father’s day, but close enough, and it’s the intent that counIts, right?

We’ve planned ahead for this build, which is also new, and have a few electronics and upgrades already. We’ll be trying out brushless this time (a crawler first for us) and using a Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro stubby 3300 kV; random 30% off sale at AMain and the HH motors are sweet. Planning to run it on 3S. We’re also using a HH HV500 v2 servo that came out of my Bomber:

It really is a very nice box, lol!

3300 kV on 3S might be a little fast, so we also picked up a smaller pinion:

We have a Castle Mamba X on the way, thanks to a RPP sale. I’ve enjoyed the AUX wire on the Mamba Monster X in my Bomber; high hopes for this one too!

The Axial Icon shocks look awesome, but They leaked like crazy on my G6 and the springs rubbed on the bodies, so we’re also starting with upgraded shocks. There’s lots of great options, including the Proline Scalers and more recent Pro-Specs. We decided to go with a set of 90 mm TRX-4 shocks. It’s hard to beat Traxxas shocks and these came up on eBay half price; looks like someone parted out a bunch of trucks. They’re sweet shocks and I can’t wait to see how they perform!

We’re also going with Revo rod ends:

First step is the unboxing. Seems like a shame to cut the factory seals, “cry”

Plenty of goodies inside, including unicorns on the lid. Pretty shocked by the thin Lexan. Probably good that we’re planning to use a different body.

First bit of build progress, lockers and one tire on a RC4WD steel beadlock. I didn’t have the courage to let them try gluing the stock wheels. Beadlocks are more fun regardless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Thloftus; 05-30-2018 at 10:46 PM.
Thloftus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

Default Re: Thloftus’ SCX10 II father’s day build

Keep us up with the build.
On eBay I bought Hpi Venture shocks..which I hear are pretty nice but they ended up sending me trx4 shocks. The venture shocks were about half the price. The trx4 shocks are nice and smooth but I haven't got many runs since I'm waiting on my headlock rims to mount on my hyrax 4.19.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk
TheManOfMiracles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

If you’re starting with upgrades, do yourself a favor and pick up some better tires right off the bat. I tossed the stockers in the kit after about two runs because they just weren’t good.

Also as thin as the body is, I have yet to crack it, even after quite a few tumbles down some rocky hills.

Also have fun! It’s a great truck out of the box (with better tires).
dafaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManOfMiracles View Post
Keep us up with the build.
On eBay I bought Hpi Venture shocks..which I hear are pretty nice but they ended up sending me trx4 shocks. The venture shocks were about half the price. The trx4 shocks are nice and smooth but I haven't got many runs since I'm waiting on my headlock rims to mount on my hyrax 4.19.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Thank you and we will! Let us know how you like the shocks!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:57 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafaz View Post
If you’re starting with upgrades, do yourself a favor and pick up some better tires right off the bat. I tossed the stockers in the kit after about two runs because they just weren’t good.

Also as thin as the body is, I have yet to crack it, even after quite a few tumbles down some rocky hills.

Also have fun! It’s a great truck out of the box (with better tires).

Sounds fantastic to me! Lots of great options: Pit Bull Rock Beast; RC4WD Rock Crusher (pretty sweet for the price); Ottsix KLRs (recommended by JRH); Proline Hyrax and others ... Open to suggestions; there’s probably a list/comparison somewhere on the forum?

It’s great to hear the body holds up; exciting to see all of the scale details for this one!

We’re definitely having fun! I’m trying to explain various things along the way - not clear how much attention they’re paying to any of that, “shock!”

Old 05-27-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
Sounds fantastic to me! Lots of great options: Pit Bull Rock Beast; RC4WD Rock Crusher (pretty sweet for the price); Ottsix KLRs (recommended by JRH); Proline Hyrax and others ... Open to suggestions; there’s probably a list/comparison somewhere on the forum?

It’s great to hear the body holds up; exciting to see all of the scale details for this one!

We’re definitely having fun! I’m trying to explain various things along the way - not clear how much attention they’re paying to any of that, “shock!”

For tires it depends on your terrain. For dry conditions and a lot of rock, Pitbull is hard to beat, whether they are Growlers or Rock beasts.( I havn't run mad beasts) Make sure you get the soft compound (Alien) Proline bfg works very well here too.

For wet or more varied terrain, my personal preference is Proline Tsl, but I hear the Hyrax works great. I have recently begun running the new Rc4wd Mtr's and they work very well, dare I say as well as the Proline's and Pitbulls.

My experience with Voodoo's has been with others running them, and expressing disapointment. Whether it was founded or not, I cannot say.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
For tires it depends on your terrain. For dry conditions and a lot of rock, Pitbull is hard to beat, whether they are Growlers or Rock beasts.( I havn't run mad beasts) Make sure you get the soft compound (Alien) Proline bfg works very well here too.

For wet or more varied terrain, my personal preference is Proline Tsl, but I hear the Hyrax works great. I have recently begun running the new Rc4wd Mtr's and they work very well, dare I say as well as the Proline's and Pitbulls.

My experience with Voodoo's has been with others running them, and expressing disapointment. Whether it was founded or not, I cannot say.

It’s mostly dry with a lot of rock around us. The Rock Beasts on my Bomber have the Alien compound and are great tires. I’d love to have some for this build also (may need to wait for a sale), but it’s also tempting to try something new. Do the RC4WDs work best in wet conditions or are they also good for dust and rocks? The new Proline KM3s look pretty interesting also; have any of you tried them yet?
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...ruck-tires.asp
I feel like we should try out the Hyrax tires also, but it’s nice to be different, so we’ll probably go with something else just for the sake of it, lol!

Thank you also for your input about the Voodoo’s!

Last edited by Thloftus; 05-27-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

We finished the axles. I’m not a huge fan of the red diff covers, but the kids like them so we’re keeping them for now. The axles go together much easier than on the original SCX10 and the gear mesh feels pretty good out of the box. Also liking the smaller axle housings, the Wraith/Bomber-like Chubs, and the diff cover access to the gears. High hopes for the front universals too!

Last edited by Thloftus; 05-27-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

We finished the front links and mounted them on the axle today.

The Revo rod ends are 1.5 mm shorter than the Axial ends; sadly didn’t catch this until we were building the links. So we’re using the stock Axial rod ends with Traxxas hollow balls for the steering links for now.

SSD makes 1.5 mm spacers that fix the offset:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...d00151/p577533
But no one seems to have them in stock, “cry!”. We’ll stick with Axial rod ends on the steering until they fail or the SSD spacers are back in stock.

For the suspension links, I found some 3 mm spacers with the right OD; should be here by Wednesday:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076HNZLPJ
We could use these on the steering links also, but the asymmetry would be annoying on the (super visible) front links. No luck finding 1.5 x 7 mm M4 spacers aside from SSD ...

Last edited by Thloftus; 05-30-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #10

I'll be interested to hear what you think of the TRX-4 shocks on your SCX10 II. Are you going to run them completely stock - oil and springs?

I have the expensive ProLine scaler shocks on mine and I really regret purchasing them. Not worth the money by any stretch of the imagination.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'll be interested to hear what you think of the TRX-4 shocks on your SCX10 II. Are you going to run them completely stock - oil and springs?

I have the expensive ProLine scaler shocks on mine and I really regret purchasing them. Not worth the money by any stretch of the imagination.
the TRX are based on the Ultra shock series, which are great in plastic or aluminum. I bash with my Traxxas slash and never had either the stock ultras or the big bores leak, unless I didnt tighten the lids enough.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
the TRX are based on the Ultra shock series, which are great in plastic or aluminum. I bash with my Traxxas slash and never had either the stock ultras or the big bores leak, unless I didnt tighten the lids enough.
I bought a set of the TRX-4 GTS shocks and they are sitting at home. My SCX10 II might get them unless Proline can help me figure out their scaler shocks.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:14 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I just picked up 2 sets of the TRX shocks from the fella on Ebay. What a sweet deal.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

No problem, I’m excited to give them a try! They look great out of the box. We’re planning to run them completely stock at first. They came pre-built with 30 wt oil.

Sorry to hear the Pro Specs are not working out. I seriously considered getting a set; I’ve had great luck with Powerstrokes on my Nitro Slash & Bomber and have envied a set of Pro-Pec SCT shocks for a while.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I just picked up 2 sets of the TRX shocks from the fella on Ebay. What a sweet deal.

No doubt!

Old 05-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

We finished the rear links and mounted them to the axle today.

Next step is the transmission. This kit definitely goes together faster than my G6 did, even with my kids doing the work. I’m really liking the new plastic, aside from the rubbery rod ends anyway!

Old 05-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

This sounds like a great build, especially since your kids are involved. Early fathers day gift uh, awesome. I was hoping for the same but at the current moment my scx10 will have to wait. Enjoy the build, hope it turns out great.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
This sounds like a great build, especially since your kids are involved. Early fathers day gift uh, awesome. I was hoping for the same but at the current moment my scx10 will have to wait. Enjoy the build, hope it turns out great.

It started out as a Father’s day gift (wife’s idea) but then quickly evolved into a Father’s day / end of school combo once the kids heard about it, lol! It’s been a lot of fun to build it with them, they’ve been pretty charming throughout, and it will be their truck when we’re done. It’s a great way to spend time together in the evenings.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thloftus View Post
It started out as a Father’s day gift (wife’s idea) but then quickly evolved into a Father’s day / end of school combo once the kids heard about it, lol! It’s been a lot of fun to build it with them, they’ve been pretty charming throughout, and it will be their truck when we’re done. It’s a great way to spend time together in the evenings.

I agree in regards to the quality time.. I attempted rc with my 2 daughters but failed miserably. I do have hope in my 3 year old son. He is all over it
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:55 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
I agree in regards to the quality time.. I attempted rc with my 2 daughters but failed miserably. I do have hope in my 3 year old son. He is all over it

Pretty easy sell with my son also, especially the bashing / subsequent repairs, lol!

Thloftus’ SCX10 II father’s day build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 ii build for young kid and father Awallspdx Newbie General 28 01-22-2019 09:05 AM
Thloftus’ TF2 build Thloftus RC4WD Trail Finder 2 62 12-06-2018 10:41 PM
Father and Sons Crawler Build rockseeker Axial XR10 29 11-16-2014 11:35 AM
Another Father Son Crawler build phritchey General Crawlers 0 06-06-2012 02:08 AM
Father Son Crawler Build phritchey General Crawlers 25 06-06-2012 02:02 AM