Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: BETTY WHITE the scx10ii hardbody JKU build thread. Pic heavy!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2018, 02:46 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default BETTY WHITE the scx10ii hardbody JKU build thread. Pic heavy!

Been in and out of RC for a few years now and recently just picked up a scx10ii rtr crc edition. reason being i recently purchased a 2015 jeep jku. i know what your thinking oh great another jeep build but i hope you guys enjoy this build thread as well as help me out because i will have a ton of questions. i am going to build a replica of my 1:1 jeep, Betty white!

[/URL]
i have not done too much to her yet as it is my daily driver and still making payments. so far i have added method bronze wheels with 35' tires, 2" budget boost leveling kit. rear bumper and some other little things to the inside. recently i bought an extreme hi-lift jack and mounted it to the hood and i am currently waiting for my front stubby stinger bumper to arrive.

this is going to be my first hardbody build. im kinda nervous but excited at the same time. i picked up a chinese ebay jku body (313mm) so it was perfect. i went back and forth about changing the transmission whether i wanted to do a forward motor mount or put a scx10ii kit trans in but decided ill just do with what i got. i was trying to avoid cutting the body as much as possible but there was no other way to get the body positioning i wanted without putting the fresh hardbody under the knife. i do not have what you call..... finesse. i get excited and i like to get after it. with that being said i am going to try to take my time and be patient with this build. all the pictures you see now are just mock up and nothing is set in stone. once i get everything the way i want it i will buy the proper hardware and make this a legit build.

so far i have stripped some of the stock parts from the chassis as well as electronics because they will be relocated. i added the GRC aluminum servo relocation/front bumper mount. installed a hi-tec MG servo and axial servo arm. i used the stock bumper mount as a frame brace in between the two front shocks. cut out a plate of aluminum for my electonics. removed the two side plates from chassis. got a new set of wheels and tires (Still need correct spare wheel and tire) i used the axial poison spyder rear bumper and spare tire carrier.
Boom racing Krait wheels (gold)
pitull 1.9 braven ironside tires

the wheels are a bit different from the 1:1 wheels but they will do. i really like the tire/wheel combo with these

i chopped off the original reciever box from the side plate and gonna use it on my electronics place behind the servo

the ebay body i bought was actually pretty well made, yes its not truly white so i will need to paint it but otherwise i am pleased. i know the cutting i did look like a complete hackjob but i will clean it up and it will still look good when it is done. NOTE: the body is not put all the way together so the door and roof lines are off.

as far as mounting the body to chassis i used little pieces from the parts tree and mounted them on the chassis in the rear just in front of the rear bumper mount. then i used some body posts and put them upside down in the luggage area of the jeep. should be a solid rear mount once its done. still trying to think of a good way to mount the front end of the body.

Heres a little flex test to give an idea how the tires will tuck in the fenders. and woah what is that fancy little box? The esc i will be using for this build. for the price it really makes me smile. i love the look and design of this esc and especially how small it is. not sure what motor i will pairing it up with just yet but im open to suggestions guys!

So i was toying around with the stock sliders of nerf bars if you will. cant decide if i like them or not installed on the hard body. another thing to look at is maybe i could use the brackets as a possible mount for the body to chassis? again...... any suggestions are appreciated!

here we have a good look under the hood. The reciever box will be mounted close behind the servo, the esc will be mounted close behind that. and as of right now i am going to mount the battery against the firewall, to the body. i know this isnt usually how its done but i decided to try something different since i have no better place for the battery. yes i know it will add alot of top weight to the rig but i decided i am going to try it out anyway.

i have cut out a sheet of aluminum and bent it up into a battery tray. i plan on mounting the tray to the body itself against the firewall.

Another look at the stock sliders/side steps cut and mounted to the body.

Thanks for looking guys i am looking forward to your comments and suggestions!
CRAWLIN5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: BETTY WHITE the scx10ii hardbody JKU build thread. Pic heavy!

Off to a great start, a smaller battery would help cog and make it easier to mount it lower and maybe more forward. The stock running boards would probably also help make body mounting easier and reinforce the sides of the styrene, abs, pvc or whatever plastic it's molded in.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Off to a great start, a smaller battery would help cog and make it easier to mount it lower and maybe more forward. The stock running boards would probably also help make body mounting easier and reinforce the sides of the styrene, abs, pvc or whatever plastic it's molded in.

Thank you! Yeah these are just the batteries i have and decided to make a tray for them. Ill probably end up getting some smaller batteries. But i mounted it in pretty solid as of now. I also got impatient and tried to make a solid mount for the front of the body but i dont like it and i may have ruined the grill of the body. I used a couple servo mounts on the grc bumper mount. Then drilled two holes in the front of the grill. So two screws hold the body down but the holes are WAYYY too close to the slot in the grill so i doubt it will last long at all. As far as the ugly screws up front, the bumper i am getting will cover them. This is what im talking about when i say i dont have finesse, or patience and its kills me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ROUGHNECK5150; 06-03-2018 at 09:03 PM.
ROUGHNECK5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

if you put a lower case L at the end of the filename but before the period the pictures will be more reasonably sized and well be able to see and appreciate them. I think this happens when you upload in original resolution.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
if you put a lower case L at the end of the filename but before the period the pictures will be more reasonably sized and well be able to see and appreciate them. I think this happens when you upload in original resolution.

Thats odd the pictures are about perfect size both on my laptop and on my phone. Are they too small or too big on your end?

Old 06-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #6

Okay now i see the issue with the previous post. Sorry for the very enlarged pics guys i guess tapatalk photo options are kinda tricky.
Today ive decided to do the stock shock spring swap and move the rear towers forward. So with swapping the front and rear springs and moving the rear shock towers forward giving the shocks some angle, the truck has a bit better flex and feels better. Only had to trim a tad bit more of rear seat to get it to clear but nothing noticeable! I hope these pictures come out a little better!

Old 06-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Looking great, LOVE how you are diy'ing so much and fabricating what you want! Keep it up and keep us updated.
Rekreant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekreant View Post
Looking great, LOVE how you are diy'ing so much and fabricating what you want! Keep it up and keep us updated.

Thank you its alot of fun building it. Currently have the body in a million pieces prepping them for paint. Kinda nervous for this part of the build.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:05 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

To clear up any confusion i somehow couldn’t access my original account that this thread was posted with. So instead of trying to figure it out i made a whole new account “roughneck5150” and started to post with it. Now that i have access to the original account you will only hear or see from me as “CRAWLING5150” sorry for the confusion guys! As far as my build goes I’ve been trying to get as much done with the little time i have when im not out of town for work. Ill post up some pics soon but the body is almost done being painted. Just finishing up some small details then will shoot a clear coat and start assembling body back together!

Old 06-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Got a few parts in over the past couple days! Paint is almost done just gotta finish up a few things and put the body back together! Cant decide how im gonna mount my hi lift extreme jack to the hood.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Alright so i got my electronics mounted finally! I cut out the stock receiver box and mounted it in the back to a aluminum plate i cut out and mounted to the inner chassis brace. Mounted my hobbywing 1080 esc just behind that. Both using industrial grade velcro. My power button is mounted facing backwards to i just reach up under the chassis and click the button. All i have left to do is solder my motor/esc connectors and that will be finished. Just gotta tidy up the wiring, and program my esc. I went away with mounting the battery to the firewall as it was too much weight up high. I bought new batteries and mounted it up front in between the shock towers and used the stock velcro strap to hold’er down. Let me know what you think guys!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:52 PM   #12
v33
Rock Crawler

i made a custom cf plate for the batteries and electronics, also flipped the tranny so that it gives clearance to honcho or the hilux hard bodies. also, i use 3s 1800 batteries to get thing a bit more compact.

v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:30 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33 View Post
i made a custom cf plate for the batteries and electronics, also flipped the tranny so that it gives clearance to honcho or the hilux hard bodies. also, i use 3s 1800 batteries to get thing a bit more compact.

Looks great man any more pictures?

Old 06-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Got a little anxious today and decided to put the body and everything back together! Have to fine tweak the body to get the body lines straight. The paint..... ehh. Im not a painter so im happy with the results. All thats left is the front body mounts which im gonna order today and to find a way to mount my hi lift jack on the hood! I think im going to have to go with a heavier duty servo and upgrade the steering because its not as much as id like. Decided after all this. Betty white will be my dedicated class 1 rig and i will be building a class 2 in the near future.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #15

Looks great, but VP makes Roost wheels. It should have those!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Looks great, but VP makes Roost wheels. It should have those!

Right i didnt see them until i ordered these! Im thinking about selling these and buying the vp wheels but not the roost. The 105’s and paint match them. These ones are a bit too shiny and gold

Last edited by CRAWLIN5150; 06-19-2018 at 02:35 PM.

BETTY WHITE the scx10ii hardbody JKU build thread. Pic heavy! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
** Crawler Innovations ** 8 x 8 Crawler Hauler * continuing build thread; pic heavy Nova's Ark Multi Axle Rigs 50 11-30-2019 10:02 AM
Scx10 ii hardbody jku build questions. ROUGHNECK5150 Axial SCX10 II 8 05-01-2018 01:54 PM
Toyscrota II build/rebuild thread...PIC HEAVY distinctive pd 1.9 Scale Rigs 21 03-26-2017 03:16 AM
No name build thread. (pic heavy) JonnnScott Axial SCX-10 23 12-23-2014 06:50 PM
NorZepol's Betty Build (pic heavy) NorZepol Axial AX-10 Scorpion 2 03-20-2012 08:22 PM