Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX 10 II Slow going in reverse (new guy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #1

Default SCX 10 II Slow going in reverse (new guy)

Hey everyone, I’m new to crawling, but not RC’ing in general. I’ve never done a kit build and definitely don’t paint, but I’ve replaced/repaired/completely torn down and put back together most of my cars. So that’s about my current skill level.

Ok to the question; I’ve picked up 2 SCX 10 II’s in the last month. We’re definitely hard on these trucks and drive them in mud, water/ice/snow, creeks, etc. The last few days the red Jeep has been going slower forward, very slow in reverse, and kind of just sounds like a tank that really needs some grease on it while it’s driving. Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? I’m thinking the motor, but the truck isn’t even a month old. I appreciate any info!
7east is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: SCX 10 II Slow going in reverse (new guy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7east View Post
Hey everyone, I’m new to crawling, but not RC’ing in general. I’ve never done a kit build and definitely don’t paint, but I’ve replaced/repaired/completely torn down and put back together most of my cars. So that’s about my current skill level.

Ok to the question; I’ve picked up 2 SCX 10 II’s in the last month. We’re definitely hard on these trucks and drive them in mud, water/ice/snow, creeks, etc. The last few days the red Jeep has been going slower forward, very slow in reverse, and kind of just sounds like a tank that really needs some grease on it while it’s driving. Anyone have any ideas what the issue could be? I’m thinking the motor, but the truck isn’t even a month old. I appreciate any info!
Mud water snow
Have you washed it everytime and put some oil on the bearings?
Did you take a look at the gears in the axles after buying them?

Your issue could be rusted bearings and binding in the drivetrain.

Could also be a dying motor with the abuse.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Remove the drive shafts and push the truck around
If there is no binding, look at the motor

Old 01-22-2020, 07:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions! And nope, no cleaning except for running it through the tall grass in the meadow to get most of the mud off:/ 1 and 4 year olds don’t have patience for me to clean the trucks!;)
Old 01-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome! I definitely understand the maintenance aspect. I cleaned out all the chunks of debris, used pliers to remove some kind of string-like vine/thready stuff from an axle and drive shaft, used compressed air, and sprayed some WD-40 on all of the exposed linkages and where the drive shafts connect to the transmission. The truck does sound better, though reverse is still slow. I'm going to try and find some time this weekend to take a look at all of the gears. I'm still thinking this is a motor issue though since the truck seems to be running smoothly now, but does't seem to be getting the power it needs. It's also been having some issues getting out of certain situations like being in a tight spot between rocks or a rock and a tree. Where it used to be able to power out, now it struggles and the lights kind of dim out for a second until I back off. I'm running 2S btw.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If it's the stock electronics, ditch the whole thing and get a Hobbywing 1080 plus Holmes Hobbies motor.
Best 50-70$ you can spend on an RC.

Look at the slipper clutch also. If you get stuck in tight spots and it skips, you feel like it has no power.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #7

Thanks for the ESC recommendation. The price is definitely reasonable. Any recommendation in the HH Trail Master series in particular? (540-550, turn, etc) and gearing? We drive in creeks and drainage areas mostly and i'd like to stick with 2S since that's what I already have, though I could pick up a 3S if it makes a ton of difference.

Edit- Is it possible to attach the Red Jeep and 69' Blazer lights to a Hobbywing ESC? Those lights are probably the absolute most important thing to my 4 year old lol.

Last edited by 7east; 01-24-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:15 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7east View Post
Thanks for the ESC recommendation. The price is definitely reasonable. Any recommendation in the HH Trail Master series in particular? (540-550, turn, etc) and gearing? We drive in creeks and drainage areas mostly and i'd like to stick with 2S since that's what I already have, though I could pick up a 3S if it makes a ton of difference.

Edit- Is it possible to attach the Red Jeep and 69' Blazer lights to a Hobbywing ESC? Those lights are probably the absolute most important thing to my 4 year old lol.
Pretty sure you can find a way to attach them. You could always run them on the 2s battery with a jst plug and a voltage step down.
I have a few step downs that take 12v down to 5v for my FPV gear.

As far as the motor is concerned, I would definately try to fit a 550. It will have more torque and less heat.
21T 550 will be close to 27T 540 and 27T 550 would be 35T 550, much slower.

Old 01-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #9

Thanks, I’ll see what they have in stock at the LHS.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #10

I saw a Youtube video where a guy was talking about Nubie mistakes when crawling. He said if you have the all metal gears in the transmission to get WD40 on those gears to displace the water after getting it wet. He said he had his gears rust so much the truck would not move. I'm scared to look at mine
7plymaple is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX 10 II Slow going in reverse (new guy) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow Reverse deerco Electronics 31 07-06-2021 07:50 PM
slow reverse problem david37370 Redcat Crawlers 2 02-23-2013 11:25 PM
slow reverse...? boosst Team Losi Comp Crawler 7 06-21-2009 08:11 AM
HELP! Reverse slow. MISFITCOMPER Team Losi Comp Crawler 9 06-03-2009 01:59 PM
Ax-10 slow in reverse 8upboyz Axial AX-10 Scorpion 5 05-12-2009 01:50 PM