Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Front suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Front suspension

Ive been tryin to get the front axle centered on my scx10.2. I found threads bout the panhard n how the axle shifts just a lil during articulation. Which is understandable. But wat i need help with is shock compression. The left side is nice n soft, n moves smooth. The right side on the other hand seems stiffer. Wats causing this?

Im building an scx10.2, but i have scx10 axles. Im using the vanquish panhard/3 link mount. But using the vanquish mount for the link rod seems to throw it way off. So i modded the old 4 link mount to work with the vanquish mount.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2018, 06:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Front suspension

You mean your scx10...the axles make it a scx10II. But it doesn't matter the people with II's have scx10 so youll get sorted.

First thing Id say is the axle isn't supposed to be centered or more to the point like a broken clock it is only correct twice a cycle. The axle moves in a arc, so there for at some point it is off to the right, then centered then off to the left. It is normal for a pan hard set up.

It is also normal for a pan hard to have stiffness, when set up incorrectly. Cant really say what, but your geometry is off. Its one of those thing, its wrong because it isn't working not because I can see a link to long, or an angle isn't right.

Your upper link goes on the VP mount, not up on top of the axle in the four link mount. If by throw it way off you mean the links don't fit right that wouldn't surprise me as it most definitely should not be the same length as the stock scx10 links.

Make a new link to fit the VP mount and you might just make your issue go away. Or it might make it worst. Took me about 3 months to tune in my scx10 pan hard. If I only bought a kit instead of piece mailing it I would have saved time and money. But I didn't so I had to sort it on my one.

Good Luck
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
RCC Addict

It does seem that the upper link is a lil too long. Ive been thinkin bout it for a bit n wonder if i can take the red spacer ring off the link if it would shorten it enuf? As of now, the axle is pretty well centered now, but it does shift side to side, but thats to b expected from following the arch of the panhard. Wat gets me is its easy to compress the left side shock by pushin down on the left side of chassis. But the right side seems to be much stiffer to compress. Could that be a result of the upper link bein a hair to long?

Goina take it with me in the mornin n give her a trial run after work. Itll be the 1st time shes hit the dirt lol

Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
RCC Addict

THANK U SOOOOO MUCH ditchrat!!!!! I ended up pullin the front end apart n put it like u suggested. I had to lengthen the top link, not shorten, but it mad a world of difference. The right side is alot softer than it was. I think part of that is the whole panhard setup lol. But i like the cms look better than ams. Now i gotta wait til tomorrow to see how she does. Just wat lil ove run it in the house checkin it out, shes a creeper lol. Rc4wd 35t, 11t pinion n 54t spur, traxxas xl5 esc. Thanks again ditchrat, i really appreciate the help!

Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah. Sounds like your upper link is causing the binding as stated above. If the link you have is too short to be on the other side and reach the VP mount, you may have to figure out how to get a longer one in there. I personally make my own links with a tap and die set and 3/16 steel rod from your local department store. Traxxas revo rod ends. Cheap, steel(slides better than aluminum), strong as hell, and you get to choose the length as a yard of rod is only $3-5. I use a dremel to cut the lengths I want. If you mix parts, custom parts usually fill the gaps.
Dad,Canyoufix? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Sweet, thanks for the tip. That gives me a good excuse to buy more tools n parts lmbo. Put i did manage to make my upper long enuf to fit. It helped alot. Will find out after work today

Old 09-06-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Tip....... This one is for seasoned pro's and rookies alike. The absolute easiest method to find center on a front end 3-link is to first.... 4 link it..... Yes run 2 equal length upper links that will land your pinion angle in desired position. Once you get this set figuring the proper length panhard/3-link bar you will need by measuring from axle mount to frame mount (straight line). I normally hold random links up until I find the perfect match (I do a ton of building and have a pile of random links on hand at all times). Mount your panhard bar, and remove one of the upper links. BAM.....centered
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Thanks for the tips n tricks! I took it out earlier n it crawled great, but acted like the battery was really low (2s 5000mah). I came back to the house n started checkin out the problem. It also seemed like it had a drag brake, cause wen i let off throttle, it stopped n stayed while on a steep incline. Come to find out, the spur cover was causing it to bind up. So, goina try again tomorrow n see how it does now. I really appreciate everybodys help!!!!! Thanks again fellars!

Old 09-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Took her out again today. Done better with the binding issue fixed. But after bout 10 mins of drivin, it seems to slow down a bit. Granted i dont have much wheel speed the way it is. Esc seemed a lil warm, motor wasnt bad (could hold my finger on it n not get burnt) n servo was a lil warm. Then the servo decided to only turn right for a few trys n then just quit. Think it locked up. Could it have been the servo was takin to much juice n caused it to slow down? Maybe the gearing? Im runnin 11t pinion 54t spur. Traxxas xl5esc n a el cheapo servo. Look like i gotta snag my traxxas 2075 from my other project truck til i can get a good one. Any thoughts on this? Guess i shoulda got a vid of it, probably woulda helped more

Old 09-07-2018, 06:43 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Took her out again today. Done better with the binding issue fixed. But after bout 10 mins of drivin, it seems to slow down a bit. Granted i dont have much wheel speed the way it is. Esc seemed a lil warm, motor wasnt bad (could hold my finger on it n not get burnt) n servo was a lil warm. Then the servo decided to only turn right for a few trys n then just quit. Think it locked up. Could it have been the servo was takin to much juice n caused it to slow down? Maybe the gearing? Im runnin 11t pinion 54t spur. Traxxas xl5esc n a el cheapo servo. Look like i gotta snag my traxxas 2075 from my other project truck til i can get a good one. Any thoughts on this? Guess i shoulda got a vid of it, probably woulda helped more

Yep it could be. Wont hurt anything trying a different one. Do yourself a favor and check you EPA before driving.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:25 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Im using a traxxas tq rx/tx at the moment, so i cant adj EPA. Im lookin at upgrading my radio soon, but this works for now. I wanna get one with 3-4 ch atleast. Wanna be able to run lights on the go n maybe a winch too. The servo i was using was an el cheapo. So it lockin up is no big deal. Ive got a powerhd wp servo ordered. It works great in my erbe, so i know ita work good in my crawler

Front suspension - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front suspension question saddlesore Axial SCX10 II 7 10-24-2016 11:46 AM
front suspension dcrou7 Tamiya XC/CC01 3 12-05-2012 01:21 AM
independent front suspension and front diff build canadian scx10 Axial SCX-10 1 02-13-2011 07:52 PM
front suspension lift sivad Tamiya XC/CC01 8 08-06-2010 01:41 PM