Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: RCDJ's budget build.... From China

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default RCDJ's budget build.... From China

Hey all, this is going to be an intro to my build that will hopefully start to form over the next couple of weeks. I'm a teenager and like many money is definitely something I have to consider when doing any build. I love supporting my local hobby shop and businesses when I can but sometimes there are cheaper options available online. I have seen many on this forum have questions about these generic China made parts from eBay and other online sellers. I want to document my experience with these parts and hopefully help any other young people in this hobby and help them make the most informed decisions when making purchases.

Right now the parts for the build consist of:
Generic SCX10 II aluminum axles
Axial frame rails with "Jazrider" aluminum chassis braces
Generic aluminum links
Stock scx transmission
WB8 driveshafts
Castle MMP esc
RC4WD 35t motor

Body and the wheel tire combo is still TBD.

All the parts are being shipped but I wanted to just get the intro for this build done so everyone can see my point of the build.

I want to emphasize that I support my LHS and buy parts from them constantly but I am considering this an experiment more then anything else... Wish me luck!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
rcdriftmasterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RCDJ's budget build.... From China

What trans? The tried and true 3 gear from the AX10? Or the SCX10.2 kit?
4drmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

The tried and true 3 gear! I've found it to be the simplest and pretty durable. And it's pretty cheap too. I may give one of the all metal ones I've seen a try but that'll be down the line as I have a stock axial one laying around.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I like your thinking...

You can get much better and cheaper links, with 8/32 all thread, revo rod ends, and 1/4"stainless tubing. The stainless slides much better on the rocks, and the weight is where it is needed.
The standard plastic axles are just fine in all practicallity, and don't "Hang" like aluminum axles do on rock. I have heard of people breaking axle housings, but I have never done it myself.

As far as body, wheels and tires,

The body should be what you want...
Wheels, depend on budget, and only hold the most important part of the truck. The Tires.

There is great debate on tires, and depending on where you live some tires will work better than others. My personal favorite is Proline Tsl's, Some swear by Pitbull Rock Beasts, and others by Rc4wd Mtr's. You cannot go wrong with any of them in all honesty... I have all three and prefer the Proline's...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks lonelycreeper! I definitely agree with the links. I have done them on several other projects and have had good luck with them. I wanted to try generic links because they should bolt on (at least I hope they do). So it'll be easier for someone who's new to the hobby or doesn't have the tools to make links, even though it requires basic hand tools. I totally agree about tires and wheels, that's the one place you shouldn't cheap out. A lot of guys in my area have had really good luck with rockbeasts and stock ripsaws which I find pretty funny. But that's definitely where trial and error will happen.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I don't have a LHS, so I buy my stuff online. What is the wheelbase of this build?
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
RCC Addict

That link building method is great, I've built a lot of links that way, great for custom rigs!
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdriftmasterj View Post
Thanks lonelycreeper! I definitely agree with the links. I have done them on several other projects and have had good luck with them. I wanted to try generic links because they should bolt on (at least I hope they do). So it'll be easier for someone who's new to the hobby or doesn't have the tools to make links, even though it requires basic hand tools. I totally agree about tires and wheels, that's the one place you shouldn't cheap out. A lot of guys in my area have had really good luck with rockbeasts and stock ripsaws which I find pretty funny. But that's definitely where trial and error will happen.

Funny thing about ripsaws..... I find they perform on par with proline Tsl's and I swear they are the same compound as G8....
That said I built and gave away a Barrage to my buddys wife Gave her my last set of ripsaws..... that little rig drives great btw.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Update! Fresh off the back of the 3d printed square body that might be used for this build. The links came in and seem to be of great quality, plastic feels similar to the Revo ends we've come to love. The servo mount seems to not want to bend under the twist test that I gave it on the bench. I also found these light strips at the local pep boys for cheap which are super bright with a 3s! The cab of the body is still printing. The axles and chassis pieces should be in by the end of the week!

Old 12-11-2018, 02:03 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I have mixed experience with those. For PMM racing, I brought an aluminium skid plate for SCX10 II. The material is a bit soft but not too bad. The tolerance is also okay but a bit loose for SSD ball ends. I did have a problem that they forgot to thread one of hole...which took me a while to fix it. Quality control is the problem with those products.

But eventually I felt quit disappoint for aluminium skid plate (in general, not particulate for this brand). It made the whole truck quit shaky with loose links. I prefer plastic one with negative tolerance.

Last edited by lszomb; 12-11-2018 at 04:21 AM.
lszomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

BIG UPDATE. Pictures to come but the quality and performance of this truck really surprised me. The truck now has some knock off hyraxs and plastic beadlocks. A trackstar 17.5 brushless motor and a mamba max pro (not super budget friendly). The skid is a high clearance 3d printed one as well.
I went to a competition this weekend and got 5th in the class. Definitely some room for improvement but it was my and the trucks first time competition.
I picked up the axial blazer body and am printing wheel wells as we speak. This truck truly blew me away. Pictures coming soon!

Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Here is some pictures.

RCDJ's budget build.... From China - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tiny Jeep Build......Or One More China JK Build! joe122 1.9 Scale Rigs 19 03-19-2017 10:01 AM
My China made JK Build TriggerMan 1.9 Scale Rigs 52 12-08-2016 07:25 AM
A'nudder China JK build tokdl Axial SCX-10 49 04-28-2016 12:16 PM
slow build of a honcho china jk ny98banshee482 Axial SCX-10 6 01-07-2016 09:06 PM