Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: First SCX10.2 kit build with custom chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First SCX10.2 kit build with custom chassis

So few months ago I got started off in scale rc with a TRX4, and got my wife a Deadbolt. Like them both and still have them. I wanted to build a SCX10.2. So not long ago bought the kit version. Of course right after they came out with the builders kit.

Parts: the kit, Hot Racing SCX10 tranny, Castle 2850 system, 500oz Savox, Vanquish arm, SSD stamped steel beadlocks, Pitbull XL, Vanquish front dig, Crawler Innovations single stage foam, TRX4 factory shocks because let’s face Axial shocks suck. The Eastwood bender works amazing and very simple easy design.

Chassis are built from 3/16 round bar, thin smoked poly for panels, UHMW plastic for front and rear cross braces and mounting points for chassis. Used factory shock tower mounting points to help tie everything together making a total of 8. As well as small angle saddling ether side of frame with cross brace to keep it rigid. The interiors I used are for the Rock Rider. Still need to figure a grill and some tuning. Car is just under 8lbs RTR.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pjking; 11-29-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Pjking is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: First SCX10.2 kit build with custom chassis

I decided to build a second chassis. Shorting it and try to loose some weight. Moved the front mounting points back as far as possible. Now I’ll need to mod other chassis to fit new points. All top panels and interior are removable with Velcro. Lost almost a pound in RTR weight.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2018, 12:28 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Spare tire just sitting there for effect. Not sure what will do there. Don’t want anymore top weight. Bed sides will be designed to go on or off easily. Going to do some testing with some aluminum round bar and spool gun to hopefully build the next one with aluminum to cut weight significantly. Did a short shake down and overall it works pretty well.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pjking; 11-29-2018 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:31 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Paint that was used. I’ve had great luck with it.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2018, 02:09 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I jut wanted to add, this form has been a great place for info from you all. I don’t see all the bashing and trash I’ve seen on other forums. I tend to shy away from forums due to that. I decided to share this with you to maybe answer questions and help others as they have helped me. I’ll do my best to answer any questions you may have. Thanks again for providing a comfortable place for people to share and ask questions without being bashed on. This project has been my first attempt at 1/10 chassis. I tend to just jump right in basically building things in my head first. Then applying to the project. They always change as I go and always a one off build.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:10 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Pretty much done for now.
Attached Images

First SCX10.2 kit build with custom chassis - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 02-25-2018 09:30 AM
SCX10 II Kit Build Thread (First Kit Build&First Crawler) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 09:02 PM
My SCX10 II Kit Build w/ Pics (First Ever Kit Build) KrAwLeRFiNaTiC 1.9 Scale Rigs 0 02-20-2018 08:54 PM
I really want to build a Tamiya CR01 or do a custom chassis for my old SCX10... daign General Crawlers 2 01-12-2012 07:08 PM