Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial SCX10 II
Loading

Notices

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By imthatguy
  • 1 Post By indybama
  • 1 Post By indybama

Thread: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #1
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Default Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

So I assembled my raw builders kit, which was fun, but not without a few snags.

One thing a don't like is that the battery tray won't take the 7-cell, hump style nimh I tend to use most often. It also needed to be trimmed considerably to fit a 550 motor.

Are there any options to get a wider tray that's not going to interfere with the motor? The raw builders kit it supposed to be the same layout as the Honcho if that helps.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Stevensville
Posts: 2,837
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Im running 2200 mah 3s lipos... they are much too small for the battery tray, lol

Just taking a quick look, you could always do the old school plate across the chassis just behind the front shock towers....

Or get into modern battery tech and buy a couple 2200mah 3 s batteries....
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #3
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Just taking a quick look, you could always do the old school plate across the chassis just behind the front shock towers....

Or get into modern battery tech and buy a couple 2200mah 3 s batteries....
I'll look into the place across the shock towers. I wish the servo was mounted in a more traditional way, rather than on the side of the battery tray.

I've got 5000mah lipos, which should be able to fit the stock tray, but I just don't like bringing lipos when the nimh work just fine. I also don't know if they'll be too large for the 550 motor.

Smaller than that and it won't work for the other rigs I've got (my batteries are shared between my crawlers and short course trucks).
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The OC
Posts: 769
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Lipo all the way. [shrug]

What did you end up for electrics and a body? Any pics?
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Lipo all the way. [shrug]

What did you end up for electrics and a body? Any pics?
Yeah, lipo... I get it. I use them with my other trucks, but nimh in my Trx-4's have worked well across the board.

Tull using Trx-4 electronics and motor... Will get a mamba x once they are back in stock.

Body (Cherokee) is cut but it's too cold to paint it at the moment

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 142
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Im running 2200 mah 3s lipos... they are much too small for the battery tray, lol

Just taking a quick look, you could always do the old school plate across the chassis just behind the front shock towers....

Or get into modern battery tech and buy a couple 2200mah 3 s batteries....
What are you talking about the 2200, 3s fit perfectly but flat in the tray just right size to lay down...i use Gen's ace version.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Satan's Armpit
Posts: 165
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
I'll look into the place across the shock towers. I wish the servo was mounted in a more traditional way, rather than on the side of the battery tray.
There are some options to move the servo to the front. I know GCM Racing has a couple of options to have a combo servo and front bumper mount.
Ironhide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #8
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide13 View Post
There are some options to move the servo to the front. I know GCM Racing has a couple of options to have a combo servo and front bumper mount.
Cool! Yeah a front servo might actually be more ideal. That's how my Trx-4 servo is laid out and it's nice.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,368
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Cool! Yeah a front servo might actually be more ideal. That's how my Trx-4 servo is laid out and it's nice.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
I'd stick with the design as intended. Axial did an excellent job with the front end geometry and weight balance. If you really want a bigger motor, flip the skid.
smog likes this.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Devon
Posts: 330
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
I'd stick with the design as intended. Axial did an excellent job with the front end geometry and weight balance. If you really want a bigger motor, flip the skid.
Does that still fit though?
I'm struggling to get a 550 in mine, even with the spur cover removed. Am I doing something wrong!?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: US
Posts: 200
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

I got the servo/bumper mount for my scx10 ii n love it. I used the original batt tray, but lookin for one that lays a lil flatter. Movin batt behind shock towers n servo behind bumper, it gave me room to move esc over the axle. Dont mind the body mount lol, thats actually the front. Lil trial n error gettin the body as low as possible

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
BashNSlash likes this.
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,368
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Does that still fit though?
I'm struggling to get a 550 in mine, even with the spur cover removed. Am I doing something wrong!?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk


Both 540 and 550 are the same diameter. Flipping the skid means the motor will face the other direction, which should give you plenty of room.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Devon
Posts: 330
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Both 540 and 550 are the same diameter. Flipping the skid means the motor will face the other direction, which should give you plenty of room.
I'll take another look but on initial inspection I thought the spur / top shaft would interfere with the battery tray?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Both 540 and 550 are the same diameter. Flipping the skid means the motor will face the other direction, which should give you plenty of room.
I'm interested in this. I had to cut my battery tray quite a bit to get my 550 can in there, but I'd like more room for the battery (if I stay with that battery configuration.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
Rock Stacker
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 74
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I got the servo/bumper mount for my scx10 ii n love it. I used the original batt tray, but lookin for one that lays a lil flatter. Movin batt behind shock towers n servo behind bumper, it gave me room to move esc over the axle. Dont mind the body mount lol, thats actually the front. Lil trial n error gettin the body as low as possible

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
I like this! What servo mount did you use?

Does having the battery lay horizontal affect performance at all?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: US
Posts: 200
Default Re: Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
I like this! What servo mount did you use?

Does having the battery lay horizontal affect performance at all?

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F372424250026

It does pretty good. Just so happens the 2 holes in the bottom of the batt tray line up with the ones on the cross member. So batt sits up on edge. Im lookin to get it to lay flat as if to just lay it against the frame rails. It wont put it much lower, but it will lean it more forward

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
BashNSlash likes this.
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Any battery tray options for the raw builders kit? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cherokee kit or Raw Builders Kit? Canít decide! twentyniner Axial SCX10 II 12 12-02-2018 10:14 AM
Raw Builders Kit Missing Diff Bearing smog Axial SCX10 II 17 11-29-2018 09:01 AM
SCX10 II raw builders kit-questions Spence Axial SCX10 II 2 11-11-2018 08:34 AM
** IN STOCK Axial Racing SCX10II Raw Builders' Kit ** RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-06-2018 03:39 PM
IN STOCK Axial Racing SCX10II Raw Builders' Kit! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-02-2018 03:15 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com