Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Just another XJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2022, 01:49 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just another XJ

Earlier this month I was gifted a Raw Builder's Kit for my birthday. I didn't NEED another crawler, my G-Made CUCV works well for when I get out on the rocks every once in a while with friends, and I've got some shelf queens that have never seen dirt, but after a gift like that how can you not do something nice with it?

Was a fun (and expensive...) build. I'm still waiting for a couple of small parts and trying to decide whether or not I want to go with bigger tires, but I'm happy with how it came out.

PS: I learned not to use Tamiya plastic model paint and PS paints together. My interior found out the hard way.

rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2022, 06:13 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Just another XJ

What a good looking Jeep. I like what you did with the hatch area.
DirtMerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 07:35 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I thought it looked good. Then I saw the rear hatch and thought it looked really good. Nice build!
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

looks great! what size tires?
food2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Great looking truck! always loved the "every man challenge" homebuilt style KOH rigs.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! I'm happy with the way it's coming out. I haven't had a chance to actually drive it yet since the tires aren't glued on, since I'm not positive I want to stay with them, but I'm thinking I will. I really like the stance. And yeah, that homebuilt KOH rig look is what I liked about it most. When I was looking for body ideas I saw that SBG did a similar build way back in the day and I thought "I need to do that..." once I found out the Honcho bed fits under the XJ body..

The tires are RC4WD Mud Thrashers. I picked them because they're not overly soft and are stiff enough to not deform under normal driving but can grab the rocks pretty good too. They're 3.85".

I'm using a 20-turn 550. I'm hoping to get a little bit of speed out of it as well as the low-end grunt. My G-Made CUCV has a 55-turn 540 in it and moves pretty good, but it's also got a 2-speed, so we'll have to see.

I'm looking for a front bumper now. And I have a pair of imbedded Rotopax mounts coming that'll replace the rear windows. Looking forward to those!
Old 04-24-2022, 03:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Out in the sun with my other XJ. One of the aforementioned shelf queens.. With the 1/1 in the background.

Old 04-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Both looking jeeps. Nothing wrong with shelf queens. Eventually when I get some time I want to start a collection of self queens myself. But there's always so much to get and things I want lol
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #9
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I've never been into scale stuff but built an SSD TK chassis and put a old-style Willys Jeep body on it just for fun. Took it out today at lunch for the first time to some small hills and rocks around Bracket Field which is close to where I live. I've been there before with my Capra and my Dlux-Bully but they aren't too scale looking.

There are always people starting their hikes or mountain bike rides there and I've never heard a peep from anyone until today. Lots of yelling from the crowd to, "Go Willys Go!" and such as they watched it scale a hill.

I had no idea that the scale aspect would have such an effect on people watching as they passed by. It was pretty cool!
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 01:23 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
I've never been into scale stuff but built an SSD TK chassis and put a old-style Willys Jeep body on it just for fun. Took it out today at lunch for the first time to some small hills and rocks around Bracket Field which is close to where I live. I've been there before with my Capra and my Dlux-Bully but they aren't too scale looking.

There are always people starting their hikes or mountain bike rides there and I've never heard a peep from anyone until today. Lots of yelling from the crowd to, "Go Willys Go!" and such as they watched it scale a hill.

I had no idea that the scale aspect would have such an effect on people watching as they passed by. It was pretty cool!
Once the scale bug bites you it doesn't let go!
Old 04-26-2022, 12:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Both your tiny jeeps look amazing (don't care for the 1:1)

What chassis is the red jeep built on? It looks really good sitting that low.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 04-27-2022 at 09:52 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 04:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

The red Jeep is on a SWB Gelande II. Leaf-sprung I'm the rear, coil-sprung in the front like the 1/1.

I used a chopped-up rear spring mount from the Boom Racing Defender and it worked out pretty good. I also had to trim some material off the bottom of the trans case and use a narrower driveshaft up front to keep the driveshaft from bottoming out on the trans case.

Turned out pretty good!

Old 04-26-2022, 11:49 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage View Post
The red Jeep is on a SWB Gelande II. Leaf-sprung I'm the rear, coil-sprung in the front like the 1/1.

I used a chopped-up rear spring mount from the Boom Racing Defender and it worked out pretty good. I also had to trim some material off the bottom of the trans case and use a narrower driveshaft up front to keep the driveshaft from bottoming out on the trans case.

Turned out pretty good!

As counterintuitive and backwards as it is to some people, I like how little articulation it has. Extreme suspension and huge tires make everything too easy.

I might have to build a similar chassis in the future. With a similar 1:1 suspension configuration.

Old 04-27-2022, 01:21 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I agree completely. That's why I went for the "showroom stock" look with the red one. And at the end of the day it's actually rewarding when you pull it off. Trying to figure out how to make these chassis less capable than originally designed is part of the challenge! Haha.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:07 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Installed the new bumper. I'm a massive sucker for red recovery shackles.

Also, lights. All the lights.

Lights are on an aux on/off switch so I can toggle them from the TX. Because high-tech and stuff.

Last edited by rampage; 04-27-2022 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Great looking Jeeps.
I must be getting old cause that Stock Red Jeep looks Really good. ;D
Zukiiholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 09:51 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zukiiholic View Post
Great looking Jeeps.
I must be getting old cause that Stock Red Jeep looks Really good. ;D
Hey now! Don't be throwing around words like "old"! I'm not even 30 and I think the "stock" jeep is beautiful. The racing style one is still nice though.

I've been eyeballing a CMAX XJ kit for the stock style suspension setup but I'm not a fan of the axles. I might have to figure out how to do a similar setup with Pro44 axles.

Old 04-27-2022, 10:00 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

The red Jeep is using RC4WD Yota II axles. I wish they were a little bit wider but otherwise they're fantastic.
Old 04-29-2022, 08:46 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I bit the bullet on KM3s.

I regret nothing.

Old 04-30-2022, 12:54 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Crappy decals printed on a crappy inkjet on crappy decal paper and I love it.