Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Levi's scx10ii build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Levi's scx10ii build

Good to know the trans is pretty durable. I really think it will be good. I know there's probably better transmissions out there. But for now I really just going to run this stock. The workbench is not magnetized at all hobbyjumper, I wish though. I couldn't find at mat that was the size of the bench unless maybe I went custom. So as redneck as it sounds i found a yoga mat at Walmart that I'm using as my pit mat. It works pretty good. Mainly I wanted it to keep things from rolling off the beach and it does the job.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 AM   #22

I bought and unboxed an RTR Honcho just last week and was very surprised to find the upgraded gears in the tranny. The diffs on the other hand two 0.3mm shims to get most pf the play out.
Soundboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundboi View Post
I bought and unboxed an RTR Honcho just last week and was very surprised to find the upgraded gears in the tranny. The diffs on the other hand two 0.3mm shims to get most pf the play out.
This is very surprising that your honcho has the upgraded gears. I have not opened my trans yet, but stock I swore was to have some plastic gears. Don't remember for sure but I even watched a episode on sbg or Harley open up the trans and do a upgrade to full metal.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:16 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Default Levi's scx10ii build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
but stock I swore was to have some plastic gears. .

I just opened up my rtr tranny. They are plastic gears. The top shaft is metal but the idler and output are both plastic.

Last edited by toka100; 02-08-2019 at 07:32 AM.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #25
20K Club

Quote:
This is very surprising that your honcho has the upgraded gears. I have not opened my trans yet, but stock I swore was to have some plastic gears. Don't remember for sure but I even watched a episode on sbg or Harley open up the trans and do a upgrade to full metal.
Many of the first batch Honchos had upgraded gears. The Factory was using the transmission from the CRC Jeep that were already built most likely. Later release versions had the plastic gears as they were intended to have.

Mine had plastic because it was a media release which was done before real production.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Many of the first batch Honchos had upgraded gears. The Factory was using the transmission from the CRC Jeep that were already built most likely. Later release versions had the plastic gears as they were intended to have.

Mine had plastic because it was a media release which was done before real production.
Ok good to know, thanks. Good to know that I'm not completely crazy.

I've been thinking about what my next project will be after this. I must be missing a few screws in my head for thinking like this. As of right now, I really want to do something different I think. Been checking out tayima or kyosho buggies. I think the whole building a kit is starting to grow on me.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Seeing as you managed to assemble the shocks without losing a snap ring, you've obviously got a system worked out. :-)
Yes, it was fun trying to open the bags and not lose any pieces. I think it could be very easy to lose some snap ring/c clip and other pieces. Axial should include a small bag of extra pieces to build the shocks.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:05 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Scratching my head trying to figure out what you mean. Sounds like you're apologizing for owning an SCX10ii. Has the world come to that?
No, no not at all hobbyjumper, lol. I've got a few local friends that don't just get it is all. They ask why would I buy a kit, and turn around shortly and buy a honcho that is the same thing as I'm practically building. Guess I wasn't very clear in my wording. When you work two full time job hours sometimes my words don't always come out right, lol.

So anyway this weekend was pretty good to get a little time to sit down at the bench and work on my new baby. Managed to get the chassis mostly together, a plus for sure.

Tonight spent some time looking for cross bracing. Still need to find something better for a battery tray and servo mount. But I didn't really take time tonight to look for thoses two items. One of the tools I like having on my bench is a digital caliper. Makes things nice to measure thoses items without guessing or fiddling with checking with the manual.

I'm getting excited to get the rest of it put together maybe next weekend if time allows.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2019, 12:30 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

It's been a while since I've touched my scx10.2 project. Today was a crazy day that really sucked for me. Easy was to put it going to work for 16 hours would of been better than what I had to deal with today. So after a really rough day I'm ending the night working on my project on the bench.

I've been getting some parts at my lhs and some online that I couldn't find locally. It's very hard to be patient waiting for parts to come clear from Hong Kong, lol.

After assembling the stock chassis it had quite a bit of flex in it. I cant have this, a chassis shouldn't flex like that, lol. So I ordered some vanquish shock hoops, strc front and rear bumper mounts, cross bracing, and some boom racing gear box mount and battery tray support.

So tonight I tore apart the chassis, upgraded it with the new pieces. After theses hand full of things. No more chassis flex, much better. But it did add weight to the chassis for sure.

Next I'll throw on the axlea and shocks, till I can justify buying new shocks and axles. So its going to be sitting on the bench for a while after that. It was great to come down to the bench, turn on the radio and forget all the bad stuff that happened and work on my truck. And for me it's still early in the night compared to a normal work day. So now I can go to bed early, lol.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2019, 06:18 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Worth noting that the new Axial Wraith 1.9 uses the one-piece axles front and back, and it's made for jumping and crashing into rocks at high speed. Axial obviously has a lot of faith (experience/testing) in the durability of the one-piecer. No company wants returns left and right.

Not only Axial, look at the VS4 axles.
Haven’t heard of any failures on those either.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

And I do have heavy brass on the VP ones currently.

Hang up and Drive
Old 04-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Worth noting that the new Axial Wraith 1.9 uses the one-piece axles front and back, and it's made for jumping and crashing into rocks at high speed. Axial obviously has a lot of faith (experience/testing) in the durability of the one-piecer. No company wants returns left and right.
I broke one on my first run with my 1.9 Wraith and I had been rough on the thing at all. There was no impact or anything. I was driving down a little hill and the tire was laying on its side when it got to the bottom.

The housing just could have been a bad one and that could have simply been a fluke, but the one piece housing turned what could have been a quick 5 minute trail side repair into a walk of shame and a half hour of wrenching. Would have ended my day if I did not have a set of OG housings and chubs in my truck that I was trying to sell.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:48 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Oh my....how has the time past me theses days. I've just realized how extremely slow this build is going. I didn't realize it till I looked at my last post. This build is going slower than I want. Life is too crazy for me theses days. One day it will slow down.

I decided to swap for the yeah racing axles and ssd c hub and knuckle. Installed incision drivelines and links. Threw on some proline scaler shocks.

I've got my electronics. Ive got the mamba x with the holmes hobbies 2200 revolver. Excited to see how this motor does. It will be my first holmes hobbies being used. The 2850 castle motor ill find a home for it somewhere. I've got a savox sw2290sg waiting to be installed as well. But first I've got another goodie coming this weekend for my build.

We had plans to go out and find a new crawling spot this weekend but the snow has got the best of us so we will stay inside and hang out. It will give me a chance to work on my body. Hoping to have something rolling this weekend.

Before Christmas and family vacation I couldn't help my self and picked up a scx10.3 gladiator. I've had my eye on it when they released it. Its going to be another project one day when I get my other build done lol.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Look I'm making some progress even if its slow paced lol. I've got electronics ready and somewhat installed on the truck now. Just need to finish mounting them permanently. I ordered some yeah racing rock rails and have them mounted on. Now the best part my revolver motor fits better on the transmission and now sits flush on the transmission mount. So I'm really happy about that. I still wish I could clock the motor wires straight up at a 12 o'clock posting but not possible.

I also decided to order a bowhouse servo/battery mount. The heavy duty quality is really great and should hold up to a servo i have. I have it mounted in the truck now. But I'm having mixed feeling about how the battery sits in it. It's also my fault for not realizing how small the mount is. When I asked and looked around other threads I didn't notice how the battery overhangs on the back end of the mount. Somewhat driving me nuts that it overhangs like this. Plus I wonder if the battery will slide around when I start crawling. No one complains about the battery moving. I can get the battery strap to hold pretty good though and maybe it would be ok.

I did think about using shorty packs for a battery and making something to secure the battery in there better but now I'm not sure what to do. I do have another build I could save the bowhouse servo/battery mount for and than get some shorty pack batteries.

So I ordered a samix servo mount and a atomic battery mount that showed up in the mail this last week. So it's sitting on the bench waiting to be installed. See how this works out.

I did start to cut out the proline gladiator body out but still needs some work to finish it up. Hoping the weather gets better soon so I can start painting it soon.

I'm just hoping to have this all done in the next month or so I can take it out on my next big crawling outing lol. Usually this is when I end up taking out a bunch of crawlers because we're aways close to the cars and it's convenient to swap trucks out and have lunch too.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:15 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

When the wife asks you want you want for you birthday and your reply is rc stuff of course lol. So I ordered some new wheels and picked some new tires at the lbs. Got the last of my parts in the mail today. So I'm really excited to hopefully get something done on this project this weekend. I'm not done cutting out the body yet. Seems like there's never enough time anymore. I'm really hoping to have this all done soon so I can take it out on the next trip. Kind of dragging my feet on the next trip out because of this build.

Old 05-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Where's the love for the scx10.2 uh? Everyone is all over the scx10.3 Well I got some love for my scx10.2 and took it out for the first run and had a awesome time this weekend. It's hard to believe it took me almost 2 1/2 years to finish. I year of that time was spent in a box in the basement after we moved and life and work overwhelmed me. Never again do I want a truck project to take this long.

Overall I'm very happy how it all turned out. The mamba x and revolver motor was a awesome pair. Had plenty of power and seemed effortless to climb. It is a acquired taste listening to the revolver motor. Kind of a sweet sound, I like it. It has a pretty good approach and departure angles concertering the bumpers I installed. Upgraded to yeah racing metal axles, ssd hubs and knuckles, incision drivlines and axles.

I threw on some ssd wheels. Really like the bronze color to them I don't usually do more than a chrome or black wheels but when I took my scx10.3 gladiator over to a friend of mine he showed me some set of bronze wheels and really liked them so I thought I would try something the same but something different. Added a set of bfg mud terrain tires to the collection too and they did really good out crawling. I like wheels and tires, the more the better.

I didn't get time or the rc fund stocked back up but I'm hoping to soon get some light bars added to it. Don't think there's much more I'll want to do to it. But you never know lol. Even gave the boy a present for the summer with a new/used never driven red scx10.2 jeep I got from a friend. Needless to say he loves it amd drove it for the whole time we ran trucks at one of our local favorite places.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I chuckled when I saw the love on your ii.
Reason is my iii is great, runs and looks good. So I just went out and rebuilt my ii, with a Sherpa setup, quite fun to drive together

Hang up and Drive
Old 05-17-2021, 11:50 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I chuckled when I saw the love on your ii.
Reason is my iii is great, runs and looks good. So I just went out and rebuilt my ii, with a Sherpa setup, quite fun to drive together

Hang up and Drive
Laughs are good. The 2 is like a news paper, everyone's moved onto the new 3 lol. Good to know your two is solid. My next projects are my scx10.3 gladiator and my honco.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:50 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Laughs are good. The 2 is like a news paper, everyone's moved onto the new 3 lol. Good to know your two is solid. My next projects are my scx10.3 gladiator and my honco.

I'm still with the 10.2!

All the portal axle 10.3s can get lost

Kidding I'd like to get the Gladiator, but man those portals would have to be swapped out.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:59 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Realized I didn't post any of the chassis itself. So here it is. Still waiting for some lights to put on it hopefully sometime.

Levi's scx10ii build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buttery Smooth! Axial SCX10II Bleeded Shock Mod - A Must Do all SCX10II joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 58 07-13-2020 09:44 AM
SCX10ii build - my first rc car kit mcbartho Axial SCX10 II 64 08-15-2018 01:56 PM
My first build, SCX10II RTR JK Unclelee Axial SCX10 II 8 05-06-2018 11:01 PM
Allanon1965's SCX10ii build allanon1965 Axial SCX10 II 70 10-16-2017 01:10 PM
MrLee1990 Nukizer SCX10ii Build MrLee1990 Axial SCX10 II 8 03-05-2017 03:44 PM