Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Levi's scx10ii build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Levi's scx10ii build

So let's start some fun. Having another kit to build is going to be awesome. I picked up my kit a few weeks ago and it has been sitting on my shelf with the other trucks.

This will be my first scx of any sort. I'll add it to the collection with the other scale trucks sitting on the shelf. It will be my second build that I've done ever. My first was a rc4wd trailfinder.

I've got a vision somewhat what to do with this build. I'm thinking just build it great from the start, upgrades and good electronics, etc.

So now it's time to cut that factory seal and tear into this. Opening the box it looks like care and thought went into packaging this really good. So far everything seems to be labeled every good and easy to follow instructions.

And go figure, it even comes with stickers, that's a first that I've personally seen of any of our axial trucks. They should be in every box.

Before you know it my time for the night was running out and I managed to get the axial built at least. The other thing I'm loving is having my own workspace for my rc stuff is great. Noy having to move it evertime was worth building a space for my trucks to work on.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 04:59 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Levi's scx10ii build

What body are you going for?
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice just started mine too.

Couple things to note so far:

1. The instructions and parts provided will not do a 12" wheel base, the rear shafts shortest length will be at exactly full suspension travel, major oversight by Axial!

2. Grab some shims right from the start, both diffs will require some 5mm shims, I got a pack in .1, .2 and .3mm flavors. Tranny needs some 7mm shims badly as well.

3. If you're using a man size servo, probably gonna need 2mm spacers.

4. Shocks are trash, Traxxas Big bores (tra-2661) fit great, I used the proline universal shock mount kit coupled with the red o-rings from the kit shocks.

5. Mine was missing quite a few small parts, an entire driveshaft tree, shock caps, cable management etc.

All in all it's a great build though, just wish Axials quality control didn't need to suffer for profit.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilus View Post
What body are you going for?
I have not officially decided yet. I have a handful that I've got on my list.
Rc4wd Tacoma
Proline powerwagon with the bed or cage
Axial wrangler with cage
Proline hilux
Proline 4runner

Maybe something else if I come across it. Part of me wants to do the powerwagon with the cage.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Nice just started mine too.

Couple things to note so far:

1. The instructions and parts provided will not do a 12" wheel base, the rear shafts shortest length will be at exactly full suspension travel, major oversight by Axial!

2. Grab some shims right from the start, both diffs will require some 5mm shims, I got a pack in .1, .2 and .3mm flavors. Tranny needs some 7mm shims badly as well.

3. If you're using a man size servo, probably gonna need 2mm spacers.

4. Shocks are trash, Traxxas Big bores (tra-2661) fit great, I used the proline universal shock mount kit coupled with the red o-rings from the kit shocks.

5. Mine was missing quite a few small parts, an entire driveshaft tree, shock caps, cable management etc.

All in all it's a great build though, just wish Axials quality control didn't need to suffer for profit.
Good to know thanks. I was going to do the 12.3. Servo, probably a hi tec 7950. I've got it on 2 other trucks and it's been great. Shims I've got covered, I got a bunch from my first build I bought a bunch of this and that. Hoping not to find any missing pieces in my kit, lol.

This is going to be a slow build for me, just like the last one. My goal is to have it built by next summer 2020. Gives me time to build it like I want.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Funny you should say that because i also have an scx10 ii builders kit and am deciding on a body. I also like the power wagon.
neilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I was looking at that Hitec as well, went with the Savox 1210, 444oz (about 40oz less then Hitec) if you run at 7.4v, waterproof and $40 cheaper, maybe another option to consider.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Just ordered the raw builders kit, the OG deadbolt body (sons fav color), traxxas sport wheels n tires, n a powerhd 20kg servo. My 5yr old n i are goina build his first crawler for his bday. Cant wait for it all to get here

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I did....... well it’s easier to read the list......

But I will have a brand new set of axles front and rear leftover.
I’ve always loved SSD and the quality, these are the second set of bronze wheels for me, a first(different size)
Can’t wait to see more of yours!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #10
Hal
Quarry Creeper

Are you also buying a front axle? I thought the raw builders kit had one piece axles. This means if you break a chub you need to replace the whole axle. I recently purchased a pair of complete aftermarket axles for a 2.2 shafty comp crawler I am building. I am hoping the aftermarket steps up some. I realy want to overdrive/underdrive these axles. There are not many ratios to choose from. I was also wondering how much of a pain it is to get these axles shimmed up right. Cool build
Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

AMain was out of the complete front axle kits, but I did get the SSD and weighted knuckles, the housing and tubes are stronger than stock. Will probably get a set of Dravtech modified 2661 shocks.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-13-2019, 06:59 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I'm not completely impressed with the ar44 axles either. I think having the c hub is a bad idea. But it is what it is unfortunately. One of my future purchases will be some vanquish or ssd axles for the front and rear. I am curious how much money I will have dumped into this build when I'm done though, lol.

That is a impressive shopping list you got going on mikemce, one day my list will look like that too, lol.

In the mean while, I stopped and picked my up a new truck. Yes I know it's a scx10, but it's something to run for now and a new truck is always welcome in my place. Building the kit will also allow me to have spare parts for the honcho, like the axles when I upgrade them soon and other parts.

I know there is many weak points to the honcho, but upgrades over time will fix this. I do like the body/cage combo, just not the color of the body. So when I get my trx4 jeep body done I'll be looking for a clear body to put my hands on, I don't like the tan color at all.

I guess when I'm done with the kit 100% and build up my honcho hopefully they will be two different trucks.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I might be the only one who likes the one piece, one $20 parts tree gives me a complete spare set of housings.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:02 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I read a few reviews, all panned the single piece axle with molded in chubs, BUT no body will own up to breaking the stock configuration . I wanted heavy knuckles on this, that was why I switched up .

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Harley Designs likes them, and he knows a thing or two about RCs.
I ran the crap out of mine and didn't have an issue. I think changing the dog bones out right away is very important though. I finally broke them in my dragbolt in a 50+MPH crash though
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Same here I haven't came same anyone that says they have broke these axles at the c hub under normal crawling conditions. Who knows maybe they are good after all but I still like upgrading to be dependable for my trail runs. I could see wear issues somewhere down the line. I guess I'll have more of a option after the year comes to a end running my honcho.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #17

Thumbs up Re: Levi's scx10ii build

Great Thread
edmccoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

So its been a while since I've had a chance to sit down and build. Life gets crazy and never enough time for rc fun.

Managed to get the links built. Crossing my fingers I've got the right ones on the rear uppers. If not I'll fix it when I get that far.

Next up is building the shocks. Got them laided out ready to build. Don't even have them built yet, but somehow just not impressed. So a upgrade is on the plans down the road. Who knows, maybe put a set of trx4 or ssd shocks.

Each time I go down to my area in the basement I get to forget everything else going on in life, turn on the radio, and relax while building. Love it.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:55 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

When the weekend falls apart and you managed to have a little unplanned down time what to do? What better to do than head downstairs to the basement to my rc bench and get some progress done, woot woot.

First tonight was to start with the shocks. When completely finished building them I was completely disappointed in these stock shocks. The feel like they are complete 100% junk, cheap. I know I havent gave them a chance or tuned them at all, but I cant be the only one that's displeased with theses. Personally I'm more impressed with my stock trx4 shocks by a landslide than theses kit shocks. Like I mentioned before a upgrade is needed down the road.

I even had enough time to build the transmission too. Finally something to be proud of in the kit. The transmission comes with the upgraded gears which is a big plus. Unlike my honcho that has some plastic gears in it that's stock. More to upgrade, right? The transmission when complete feels good and will hopefully take some power from the motor when I get one planted.

My boy asked me tonight when I'm going to pick a body to put on it, lol. Still up in the air a little. Wanting to see what else comes out if anything.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:09 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

The trans can take some power!

I am running 3000kv with 3s and havnt broke anything yet. About 20 battery packs through her so far....And I am not easy on the throttle....
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Levi's scx10ii build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buttery Smooth! Axial SCX10II Bleeded Shock Mod - A Must Do all SCX10II joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 58 07-13-2020 09:44 AM
SCX10ii build - my first rc car kit mcbartho Axial SCX10 II 64 08-15-2018 01:56 PM
My first build, SCX10II RTR JK Unclelee Axial SCX10 II 8 05-06-2018 11:01 PM
Allanon1965's SCX10ii build allanon1965 Axial SCX10 II 70 10-16-2017 01:10 PM
MrLee1990 Nukizer SCX10ii Build MrLee1990 Axial SCX10 II 8 03-05-2017 03:44 PM