Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Bea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Bea

Who ?

Aunt Bea.......

Why?

Long story, but I will start with this picture.

My Yeti ..... Andy

My Wraith ..OPIE

My VS4...... Floyd

Notice a pattern here ? If you do you’re an olde fart like me, so we know who Aunt Bea is...... I just couldn’t do Gomer!

So seeing as where this is posted, it’s not a redcat or Everest , but a Raw builders kit SCX 10 ii

Now I don’t, won’t , can’t ever do stock , so a call to SSD and a bunch of goodies arrived. Axles, wheels, and some knuckles . Hit up Holmes for some brushed power, and a MMP was sourced as the VS4 was upgraded to the MMX.Castle supplied the bec so an ECO Power servo was grabbed . AMain got it to me in a few short days.

Now this was a great time at work for a week off, what a coincidence that things began arriving. So I started in with those SSD axles.
Typical SSD quality and fit, BOOM !! Done and smoooooth ! Well the axles went smooth, beadlocks were next. Went through and tightened all those teeny tiny scale nuts....... then swapped a set of SLW hubs up front to clear those big brass SSD knuckles.
Did I mention these Pit Bulls were the quickest set of tires and foams I’ve ever beadlocked! And they look great and dripping alien snot they said! Waiting on some link mounts I missed ordering and then we can finish assembly. So being bored, I wired things up to check fit.....

You might have noticed the battery /servo isn’t stock, but rather bowhouse. Reason picked was to flip motor and skid..... yeah that will work, have to flip links act, so for mock-up I’m building stock 12.3” normal build..........
To be continued.................

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Bea

Really nice looking, I will follow closely

SSD nylon and metal axles ?
I got the same idea for my eventual scx10ii, raw kit and SSD axles.
Maybe the new plastic portals if the reviews are good and I can find a buyer for the axial parts

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice, you're heading down the 1.9 rabbit hole now!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:45 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks like a great build. I like the quality parts choices too. Not just the cheapest crap you can find off of eBay like so many do nowadays. Can’t wait to see it all done with the body and the fantastic looking wheel and tire setup.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:18 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

A nice start to the build indeed, you just need to do something about those awful rod ends.

What are the plans for the body?

I expect all these builds honoring a NC legend to be done by the week of September 23 for the annual Mayberry Days Festival in scenic Mount Airy, NC.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Nice. Can’t wait to see it finished. I’ll be getting a kit soon..
pyroM!KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Looking good Mike! So many awesome upgrades right of the bat. This is going to be a sweet build.

Subscribed!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
A nice start to the build indeed, you just need to do something about those awful rod ends.

What are the plans for the body?

I expect all these builds honoring a NC legend to be done by the week of September 23 for the annual Mayberry Days Festival in scenic Mount Airy, NC.

right now the brass ball for revo ends are on B/O......So fingers crossed!I"ve changed my mind so much on the body...Either a topless Bronco with cage, or a Power Wagon styled truggy......

But ordered a F100 cab to fit the sliders. Brass Balls are in the “ supply chain” WTF ? But will be here in two weeks

Last edited by mikemcE; 01-18-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Amain often sells a pack of Revo ends with brass balls
Might be an option

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Looks good. I would have gone with Otis, but that's just me.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Looks good. I would have gone with Otis, but that's just me.

That was my very first thought, but being Irish, that would have to be expected !

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-18-2019, 07:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Default Bea

Well my mounts came in early and VP, fit like a glove on my SSD axle. Got impatient so I went and “finished” it today.... even a test drive, but that’s way ahead of myself.

Yep, Dravtech in the house!!!

I’ve built dozens of big Bores, they never leak, just fatties !

These have been turned down and have small matching anodized cups, use Losi Mini T springs. Unusual occurrence from Erik, had a bad body, 1 of 4, was way out of round, suspect shipping related, Erik already has a new one in the mail. So I assembled 3 and wait on a new tube, I did hone the bad one, but not silky smooth like all the rest are.

So I hung the front axle and centered the servo.Eco Pro, new cheaper HV from A Main.... smooth and quiet at 7.4v supplied by a castle bec.

Discovered I had narrowed the tie rod , so backed off each end 1/2 turn and perfect tracking after I reclocked one chub !
Since I don’t have the proper sized batteries to fit this tray, on the way I dropped in a 4300....... bit long, but set the endpoints, and dialed in the castle link settings, we have a Crawler ! These pictures show a 2s about the right length.

Waiting on a Effie body, Werty sliders, and VP brass balls to swap over to RPM link ends....... so this will sit on a shelf as I wait, but FLOYD has new knuckles and we will try them out Tomorrow !

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 01-18-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Waiting on a replacement shock body from Erik, tomorrow along with shorty packs. Getting bored I wondered why this combo was ok.... NOT OK!!
I went up to a 15t pinion and what a difference!. I also made some spacers for the shocks, looks like only rear springs need to be softer. tried it on a set of rocks I know well and it cut some great lines, different than the VS4 but very surprising how well the stock flexy shock hoops worked, waiting on some alloy ones.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Dlux and Dravtech Rock !!
Erik hooked me up with a replacement tube, 4 smoother than butter!! Moved springs around Brown in front, Orange out back. Quick run with new shorty pack it felt good. As it was dark I really couldn’t watch what was moving . I know the shock towers wiggle a bit, parts coming also to address the link slop typical of Axial ends. RPM ends will also come.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-23-2019, 06:30 AM   #15
Go Buckeyes!

Rig is looking good! I like the looks of them Dravtech shocks. I have heard really good reviews on these and I've been thinking about trying a set.

Which length of shock did you get?
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:02 AM   #16

Good looking SCX10! You know I hate those wheels and I hate those tires, which I happen to own, but together it is a sexy freaking combo! I wish my XORs looked that good in person.

Is the Bowhouse tray/motor flip just to get more weight up front?

And why did you go with SSD housings instead of stock?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:42 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Rig is looking good! I like the looks of them Dravtech shocks. I have heard really good reviews on these and I've been thinking about trying a set.

Which length of shock did you get?

These Dravtech shocks are basically turned down bodies of Traxxas Big Bores. These are 92mm eye to eye. Erik now has offset caps which shortens them , without touching travel.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-23-2019, 07:50 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good looking SCX10! You know I hate those wheels and I hate those tires, which I happen to own, but together it is a sexy freaking combo! I wish my XORs looked that good in person.

Is the Bowhouse tray/motor flip just to get more weight up front?

And why did you go with SSD housings instead of stock?

I went with the Bowhouse to flip the trans for clearance. Not sure now I need it.
The SSD axles are heavier than stock, look great, and use CHubs .
If you look I also have the SSD brass knuckles up front, my concern was ripping the ears off the stick axle due to grip , weight , and 400 oz servo wiggling things.
I will say I got the springs sorted out last night , ran some rocks today and the tires just plain work. I hear a lot of negs on the OR tires, but these are in alien compound and are quite wide(1.9”) listed.
My goal on this rig is a trail truck that goes most places easily, I think I’m close.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I went with the Bowhouse to flip the trans for clearance. Not sure now I need it.
The SSD axles are heavier than stock, look great, and use CHubs .
If you look I also have the SSD brass knuckles up front, my concern was ripping the ears off the stick axle due to grip , weight , and 400 oz servo wiggling things.
I will say I got the springs sorted out last night , ran some rocks today and the tires just plain work. I hear a lot of negs on the OR tires, but these are in alien compound and are quite wide(1.9”) listed.
My goal on this rig is a trail truck that goes most places easily, I think I’m close.

Hang up and Drive
Clearance for what? I mean what did you think would interfere with the trans? I guess I'm missing something here.

Oh that's right, the Raw kit includes the Deadbolt axles which I never understood.

I think the negative about the XORs comes from the fact that they are extremely wide and don't look scale. They do work though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #20
Slow is the new Fast

Very nice Mike! Always appreciate seeing builds where guys pick up all of the goods out front. I have not been that organized and am now killing momentum while I wait weeks for parts. I am using the RBK for a custom chassis build and went with the SSD housings as well. I really like weighted hard plastic casings SSD is making.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote