Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Vanquish VS4-10 - Not Happy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Vanquish VS4-10 Chassis - Not Happy

So I want to know what everyone else experience with vanquish VS4-10 on their SCX10II Build?

I think it's a joke. Entire fit and finish was horrible. Mounting positions for shocks were not even setup properly. Plenty of shims needed to get a 90mm shock to even go smoothly without bind

I definitely would never purchase again. I own quite a few crawlers and build them from the Kit and never hated a build so much .. I might not even take this out as I know it's gonna perform poorly.

My expectations must've been too high

Last edited by LetsBash; 10-26-2019 at 10:32 PM.
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vanquish VS4-10 - Not Happy

Well if you’re gonna trash something, EXPLAIN What rig!!!!
A VS4 10, or an SCX10ii or a VS4pro.....

I have both the VS4 and the SCX10ii
Both work well. Stock Axial plastics are crap, Vanquish are totally different.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Im curious as well. Ive got a scx10 ii n im gatherin parts for my vs410 build. Ive heard nothin but good bout the vs4 n i love how my 10ii performs

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Vanquish VS4-10 - Not Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBash View Post
So I want to know what everyone else experience with vanquish VS4-10 on their SCX10II Build?

I think it's a joke. Entire fit and finish was horrible. Mounting positions for shocks were not even setup properly. Plenty of shims needed to get a 90mm shock to even go smoothly without bind

I definitely would never purchase again. I own quite a few crawlers and build them from the Kit and never hated a build so much .. I might not even take this out as I know it's gonna perform poorly.

My expectations must've been too high

What are you even trying to say here bud????? Did you build a VS4-10???? A SCX10ll????? Bastard child of both kits mixed together???? If it was the last option then it’s to be expected that stuff may not fit together as easily as you expect them to. I got 50.00 in my pocket, I’ll gladly take whatever you are complaining about off your hands so I can build it the right way and enjoy it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Sounds quite obvious that the OP installed a VS410 chassis kit onto his SCX10-II.

I am quite shocked to hear all of your struggles with it. Vanquish did a top notch job on their chassis and their material quality is excellent. I have built a ton of trucks myself and the VS410 Pro was the best quality of all, by far.

Having said that, I haven’t done the chassis conversion so I can’t comment on that, but you are the first person I’ve heard of that’s had a poor experience. Have you contacted Vanquish support? They’re very helpful and I’m sure would help you out in any way they could to ensure you were a happy customer.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Just for clarification yes it was the CHASSIS only, not the actual KIT Vanquish Pro. Im going to say that at this point my molds were bad there is no reason for this shame of a build. I get there is Vanquish major support so I will try to stay reserved to not offend anyone. Im critical to even my own self, I suck and can be better in life . & Yes its a bastard child LOL

Here is the Put together Assembly

Vanquish VS4-10 Chassis
SSD Pro44 Rear Axles
SSD Pro44 Front Axles
Ecopower 120T Servo
Hot Racing 313mm Links

Hot Racing Drive Shafts

90mm Amazon Shocks
Samix Brass Steering Knuckles
Samix C Hub Carrier

SPEKTRUM SR315 Receiver

HH Torquemaster 35t

Tekin BXR ESC

Castle Creation BEC

Stealth X Transmission with Machined Gears

Passanger Front Shock I cannot find the perfect angle to get it smooth on compression. Its almost 2x as hard to press down as driver side.

Heres the Battery tray, tried many different ways and I just left these two screws out and gave up

Next I have no idea what is wrong with the Link mounts, they are not 5.8mm opening? I did not have my proper tools to measure but I need some clarity on this. Is it a different size and I misunderstood? I had to get the dremel and shave off to fit the pivot balls in there

Screws for Links had not the best time Lining up. I needed to force an angle to get them in/out. You can see the wear mark, its not clearing at all.

Last edited by LetsBash; 10-26-2019 at 10:17 PM.
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:19 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Default Re: Vanquish VS4-10 Chassis - Not Happy

Looks lije your upper links rodends need turned 180° at the skid plate. Have u tryed swappin sides with the front upper link? On my scx10 ii, i found that mine seems to work better with it on the passenger side. I have the same HR links u do, mine were a lil tight to mount in the 10ii skid as well. Does your shocks have any play at the pivot balls? Ive also found that if theyre to tight, it can bind them a lil. I leave mine just shy of snug so they move just a teenie tiny bit.

Hope some of this helps to fix your issues

Old 10-27-2019, 01:32 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Looks lije your upper links rodends need turned 180° at the skid plate.
Yup, definitely backwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I have the same HR links u do
Are .1 and .2 link kits cross compatible? Maybe that's why the odd fit?
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:32 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Yup, definitely backwards.

Are .1 and .2 link kits cross compatible? Maybe that's why the odd fit?
I think theyre the same. The HR links hes using has wat looks like a washer on one side of the pivot ball. Theyre the only ones ive ever seen like that. Im assuming its to help get them lined up or slid into the mount slot, maybe even for added support of a screw head mount, idk lol

Old 10-27-2019, 08:08 PM   #10
20K Club

You’ve got SCX10-1 links on there which are not the same as SCX10-2 it appears. Also, the VS4-10 kit is made for 0.280” wide pivot balls and includes that in the product description, however extra pivot balls are included in the kit to replace versions that are 0.300” wide. As pointed out, it looks like you installed your rod ends flipped over which is causing binding and likely part of your shock issue.

On the battery tray, loosen all the screws in the tray all the way out. Start every screw a few threads and then just work your way around tightening them down. The tray is stamped and bent so it will go right into place and help brace the chassis even further. I have a video specifically on the entire chassis assembly to show you exactly what I am talking about on the product page of the VP site as well.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:36 PM   #11
RCC Addict

That’s what I’m talking about ^. VP (Harley) active on these boards and giving you personal responses.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:17 PM   #12
Im Brandon

Whats the bore diameter on those shocks? They look larger than the incision scale shocks (Or SCX10II shocks) both of which fit with the chassis in its intended application.

If the shocks are binding my guess is its the preload colars hitting the shock towers. Just to confirm try adding a bunch of preload to the shocks to move the collars down and away from the shock towers and see if that free's them up.

Looks like Josh answered the other issues above.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 05:36 AM   #13

Those shocks are definitely causing binding which is noticeable from the very first pic as mentioned above test by adding preload, but I would for sure swap those to a Scx10, incision or pl scalers and it will likely solve the problem with the narrower body and spring. I had a similar issue with gmade aeration on Scx10 until I used spacers and shims to correct the geometry for the thicker body shock.

Ps definitely ask for help before slamming products were all in this together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maxb4987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #14

I just finished an Axle SCX10 II raw builders kit and kept it all stock except I installed a Castle brushless setup. So far it all went together really well with no binding. I am a mechanic and did notice some issues along the way and the instructions were not really detailed, but with some forum searches I figures things out. Everyone complains about the stock shocks leaking, but being a hydraulic mechanic I know to lube all the seals with shock fluid during assembly and I am hoping that will help. I will run things stock and replace as needed anyway. I thought it was a really well designed kit, but you really need to be careful during assembly to keep things aligned. I also build airplanes, so I am used to difficult alignment issues. Overall a really fun kit to build although I can see the cheaper plastic parts wearing out and needing replacement with aluminum parts in the future.

dmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #15

Those blue amazon shocks are just garbage. The rest of the parts list looks good, outside of the (possibly) wrong links.

My spare basher rig was running those at the last squirrelfest. We left bits and pieces of them all over the trail, then swapped in some Axial stock takeoff's for day 2 - and didn't have any further issues.
eucasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Great suggestions from everyone so far! Ask for help here, before just Dremel parts to fit, that's what we're here for. Parts list looks good except for the junky HR links (made for SCX10, not SCX10ii) and those shocks. As pointed out angled link ends are in backwards where they attach to skidplate, shock preload collars look like hitting inside edges of towers, and as Harley pointed out, always start all the screws in a part before tightening completely.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Ive got the same set of HR links in my 10.2 n have no issues. I get all kind of flex n no binding wat so ever. My drag link n panhard are the SSD bent links

Vanquish VS4-10 - Not Happy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vanquish, VS4-10 On Sale sherbs General Crawlers 0 03-18-2019 09:14 PM
Vanquish VS4-10 Review sherbs Vanquish Products VS4-10 Origin 36 03-17-2019 12:06 PM
Vanquish VS4-10 Section B-MOW71 Comments, Suggestions, and Help 16 08-17-2018 04:03 PM