Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Danza builds a 10.2 kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default Danza builds a 10.2 kit

One of my plans for this year is to get a toyzuki build going. Before I go toyzuki, I wanted to build the 10.2 as kit first so this is phase 1 of this tiny truck.

Since my plans are to go toyzuki I started with the Cherokee kit instead of the RBK as the transmission from RBK is not compatible with the conversion.

I’ve had a stock 10.2 rtr before and knew that I wasn’t going to want to drive this truck stock so I ordered some aftermarket goodies as well.

Here’s where I landed:
Mamba X
HH 1800kv revolver
HH HV500v2 servo
SSD pro44 axle housings front/rear
SSD aluminum C hubs
SSD brass knuckles
SSD Scale Shocks
SSD brass wheel hubs
SSD links and steering links (arriving today)
Super Shafty bomb proof drive shafts
Samix front and rear shock towers
Traxxas GTS blue springs
Proline Raptor 12.3” body

I’ll spare the build pics as they’ve been posted plenty on here and skip to my thoughts. Overall the kit was easy to assemble. Got some help searching here to fix the play in the top shaft of the transmission. Unfortunately while doing so I stripped two hexes, even using my MIP drivers. This was the most frustrating part as I didn’t have a replacement hex available in my spares so I spent a couple hours the next day finding something that would work. Pretty sure it’s my fault I stripped them by driving them too deep, but either way I have a KNK stainless kit on the way to start replacing hardware as I continue to work on the truck.

Other than that I didn’t have any problems with the build, mind you not much of what I actually built came from the kit other than the chassis, transmission, and links.

I was very excited to try out the SSD scale shocks. I had a set of traxxas ptfe coated GTS shocks on hand in case I didn’t like the SSD but I’m going to keep them on the truck. Very impressed and these may be my new go to for this shock size as they are only $70 built including springs and the quality is what you’d expect from SSD.

This is the x ring and spacer assembly in the lower shock cap. No leaking at all after hours of trailing this weekend and looking at this assembly I don’t expect leaks anytime soon.

The piston has a bit larger holes for the oil to pass through than the GTS shocks and as I was hoping they seem to do better with a heavier shock oil. When all was said and done though I ended up at 20/25 F/R

I’m also happy to report that while the SSD springs are slightly skinnier than the GTS springs, the retainer cups are just large enough that the wide array of GTS springs can be used on these shocks. I’m running the GTS blue springs in back and the SSD springs up front.

That’s about it. Here are pics of the finished build as it is today. Got 4 hours of trailing in Sunday and enjoyed driving it very much. Hopefully it will be a toyzuki come May. Thanks for the read!
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 02-11-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Danza builds a 10.2 kit

Did you go through some trial-and-error test drives before deciding on the shock oil? I've made myself crazy in the past making frequent shock oil changes on 1/10 touring cars and short course trucks, but I've rarely touched my crawler shocks. It would be interesting to know what influenced your decision.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
Did you go through some trial-and-error test drives before deciding on the shock oil? I've made myself crazy in the past making frequent shock oil changes on 1/10 touring cars and short course trucks, but I've rarely touched my crawler shocks. It would be interesting to know what influenced your decision.
Initially I’ll build them with a couple oils I’ll have around and do some squeeze and rebounding feelers and give one a shot. I’ll go try some of the more challenging lines at the regular spots, change an oil/spring and go try again a couple days later till I find one that I’m happy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Excellent build, and you are an accomplished photographer, too, turns out.
Thanks for the kind words
Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #4
Go Buckeyes!

Good lookin' build Danza! Oh and nice pics too!

Good choice on the Samix shock towers. I have them on my 10.2 & TRX-4 and love them. Great quality and are really beefy.

I have been thinking about trying a set of the SSD shocks. They look nice and I have heard good things about them. Just not sure if I want the SSD or the Dravtech. Let us know how the SSD's hold up long term.

Looking forward to seeing the transformation into the Toyzuki.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Nice lookin build. The SSD shocks do look good and hopefully they do not leak like most others I have tried. I might have to grab a set for the power wagon.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

@b-mow I’m glad to hear they hold up well. I’m a fan of the removeable pan hard mount, made it easy to get to the servo on the trail this weekend.

I’ll keep the thread updated on the ssd shocks as I get more time on them.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Got out today with both trucks and had a good time. Had some issues with the suspension and the geometry of this truck but finally getting it dialed in more and acting how I’m comfortable with. The SSD stock springs seem to be on the more firm side. Maybe somewhere between .47 and .51 if I had to guess. I swapped the stock ssd springs to the rear and took off the traxxas blue, then put the traxxas orange springs up front and I’m happier with this set up for now.

Short clip of crawling - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9pcx0AgXK

If you want to hear the revolver singin - https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt9lc3_AikE

Last night I received a lovely stock notification from Amain that the toyzuki 2.0 chassis was back in stock I swooped it up and glad I did, once my order went through it went on back order again. Toyzuki phase should be here sooner than planned
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 02-16-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I agree with the the stock ssd springs being too firm. When I se them up I put the stock 10.2 springs on and I was happy with the results. Now if I just had time and decent weather to get out and see how I like them.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

Suspension tweaks made a healthy difference and the truck is flexing and stable and predictable. Current set up is 10w oil and traxxas orange springs up front with 25wt oil and ssd springs in back. Here’s some flexy and tuck pics.

Also added the silver ssd diff covers for a little pop.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Didn't realize that was you today. It has been a while since we met. Hopefully I start getting out more. There were a lot of new faces out there that I did not know!
Old 02-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Didn't realize that was you today. It has been a while since we met. Hopefully I start getting out more. There were a lot of new faces out there that I did not know!
You know, I confused Rick with you at one point. I felt dumb about it but apparently that’s not the first time it’s happened to him. It had been a while since I saw him too.

There sure was a lot of people out today, especially considering the weather. Here’s a short clip from poker run, the line of trucks just keeps going and going. Some very cool builds there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuAMpTQA9T5/
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I'm the fat one lol. They used to mix me and John up too.

It was good to get out even if the weather sucked.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Finally had free time to put some work in on the truck today.

First order of business was a little more shock tuning after the plastic balls seemed to be limiting movement a little bit. One looks like it got damaged from over tightening (whoops). Changed them out with some metal balls and everything is moving freely.

While I was at it I outboarded the shocks a couple mm by adding a spacer to the lower mounts, and mounting the shock on the lower hole with the link. Still have to do the back but I need one more 3x25mm screw. Not sure if this will be permanent but giving it a shot.

Lastly, the Samix front battery tray and servo/bumper mount got installed. The battery lays down nicely now and the zippy pack 3s are pretty flat so it looks to be a good fit. Before the zippy pack was on its side and sat higher up.

Hitting the rocks tomorrow to see how all this works out.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-10-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

That Raptor sure looks good there buddy.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:39 PM   #15
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
That Raptor sure looks good there buddy.
Thank you. I appreciate it. Sadly the raptor body is on its last leg, had some cracking where the front drivers side body post is and now the whole post protrudes. Getting by with a washer for now but going to need to replace it soon.

Got out today and had a great crawl, very happy with this truck to the point where I’m not sure I want to break it down for the toyzuki anymore, and may try and build a toyzuki from scratch over time.

Here’s a clip and some pics from today

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu16DvqnFXB/
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-10-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:04 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

How do you like the servo and battery relocation? I am thinking of doing the same. Out of stock at A-Main, i think i may order directly from Samix.
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #17

Good looking truck!

I'm glad to hear the SSD shocks work as well as I'd expect from SSD. The cartridge design is cool.

I'd also like to hear more about the performance change with the Samix battery plate.

Looking forward to seeing it evolve into a ToyZuki.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:58 PM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
How do you like the servo and battery relocation? I am thinking of doing the same. Out of stock at A-Main, i think i may order directly from Samix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Good looking truck!

I'm glad to hear the SSD shocks work as well as I'd expect from SSD. The cartridge design is cool.

I'd also like to hear more about the performance change with the Samix battery plate.

Looking forward to seeing it evolve into a ToyZuki.

Thanks dudes! I’m thrilled with the Samix plate so far. The flat zippy packs seem to be a great fit becuase the battery is super low. I was able to do a lot today that I hadn’t been able to in the past, but I think some of that was working out the suspension.

Let’s see if this embed works...

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-10-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:32 PM   #19

Damn, that video reminded me why Hyrax tires are so great and why they're going on my TRX-4 Sport build. Impressive climbs!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 AM   #20
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Damn, that video reminded me why Hyrax tires are so great and why they're going on my TRX-4 Sport build. Impressive climbs!
The hyrax grip with the revolver’s torque and smoothness is something else. I’m thinking you’ll be happy with that set up.

Danza builds a 10.2 kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XSRCdesign builds a Bomber kit XSRCdesign Axial RR10 Bomber 80 02-26-2018 06:09 PM
Krazed Builds Gen2 un-Stuck Upgrade kit Robbob Chassis and Suspension 13 07-31-2017 05:36 AM
RTR & kit why no pro builds? Kaptastic Axial Wraith 8 03-16-2016 07:48 AM
209SCXCRAWLER builds a Classic SCX-10 Kit 209SCXCRAWLER Axial SCX-10 18 12-26-2011 06:25 PM