Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX10 II Toe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Default SCX10 II Toe

Im just putting the builders kit together and noticed on the front axial there will be a little toe in. Is this normal on this vehicle or should there be no toe in?
jpedersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 II Toe

I will have to look at mine. But I don't remember any noticeable toe in or out.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yeah it does have a little of that depending on how tight you thread the rods in. I usually just adjust the rod ends until the toe is even and throw in spacer if there are threads showing.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

At the speeds you'll drive an SCX10ii, there is zero need for toe-in. The only benefits are high speed stability and faster turn-out traction, neither of which apply to a slow solid axle truck.

Now some toe-out will actually give you a bit more steering in very tight turns as it will mimic some Ackerman in the steering, which the AR44 axles lack.

Just adjust it until you have zero toe. That's what I've always ran on RC crawlers and 1:1 Crawlers and it's recommended by most.
zane! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
One thing I don't do is second guess the designers at Axial.
So that grinding in my tranny shouldn't be questioned, got it

Nothing wrong with asking questions when something seems odd.

I set my steering links to have 0 toe, and as Zane pointed out the only "good" toe is toe out as at least that get you something with it.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-18-2019 at 04:56 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
One thing I don't do is second guess the designers at Axial.
Isn't this entire forum dedicated to second guessing the designers at Axial?
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sorry Hobbyjumper I was a bit grumpy, already fixed my tranny issue with a VP topshaft.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #8

So If I go backward on the links so there is threads showing do you guys recommend to take the coupling off all the way and put spacers in there or just run it with the threads showing? Also how much grease are you guys using in the axial casings, it never really says to use a drop or a glob.
jpedersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpedersm View Post
So If I go backward on the links so there is threads showing do you guys recommend to take the coupling off all the way and put spacers in there or just run it with the threads showing? Also how much grease are you guys using in the axial casings, it never really says to use a drop or a glob.

You can get by without a spacer but putting one in may prevent the rod end from twisting around since with it you can really tighten it.

Grease for the axle, I coat the pinion and ring gear filling the gaps between the teeth. You dont need to go crazy but its definitely more than a drop.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:50 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpedersm View Post
I liberally coat the gears...

I run the tube fairly flat over the voids in the teeth filling the teeth with the grease, but not going above the top of the teeth. I have done this with all of my rigs and have never had a problem.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane! View Post
At the speeds you'll drive an SCX10ii, there is zero need for toe-in. The only benefits are high speed stability and faster turn-out traction, neither of which apply to a slow solid axle truck.

Now some toe-out will actually give you a bit more steering in very tight turns as it will mimic some Ackerman in the steering, which the AR44 axles lack.

Just adjust it until you have zero toe. That's what I've always ran on RC crawlers and 1:1 Crawlers and it's recommended by most.
Toe in gives the outside tire more steering. 1:1 and RC hardly ever correlate with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Isn't this entire forum dedicated to second guessing the designers at Axial?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Sorry Hobbyjumper I was a bit grumpy, already fixed my tranny issue with a VP topshaft.
Didn't need a VP shaft to keep your gear from grinding. You just had the 36t gear, AX31416, flipped around the way. Both sides have a slot for the pin, only one is right and the other is a few thousandths too deep and lets the gears hit each other.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post

Didn't need a VP shaft to keep your gear from grinding. You just had the 36t gear, AX31416, flipped around the way. Both sides have a slot for the pin, only one is right and the other is a few thousandths too deep and lets the gears hit each other.

I had that sorted, double checked anyway.

Really I think the pinion set screw was likely grazing the spur gear as the sloppy stock top shaft moved in and out. It was fine for a few months which is why I was thrown off I guess.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Toe in gives the outside tire more steering. 1:1 and RC hardly ever correlate with each other.

So you're saying that a solid axle 4x4 truck and an RC solid axle 4x4 scale truck meant to emulate a real truck don't share any setup techniques? I beg to differ.

For an RC comp buggy, I agree that common truck knowledge is out the window.

But on scale rigs, a lot of setup carries over. Notice how almost everyone is trying to get away from reverse Ackerman knuckles? It's because steering is worse with reverse Ackerman, your outside tire wants to turn more but the inside tire is pushing the truck straight. Adding toe-in does the same thing, whereas toe-out emulates some much-needed Ackerman. Or if you have correct Ackerman knuckles... Zero toe is perfect.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I had that sorted, double checked anyway.

Really I think the pinion set screw was likely grazing the spur gear as the sloppy stock top shaft moved in and out. It was fine for a few months which is why I was thrown off I guess.
I cobbled my top shaft up to eliminate the front to back movement. A couple aluminum spacers and an inner bearing race did the trick. I could see the pinion set screw hitting the spur with as much slop the shaft has.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane! View Post
So you're saying that a solid axle 4x4 truck and an RC solid axle 4x4 scale truck meant to emulate a real truck don't share any setup techniques? I beg to differ.

For an RC comp buggy, I agree that common truck knowledge is out the window.

But on scale rigs, a lot of setup carries over. Notice how almost everyone is trying to get away from reverse Ackerman knuckles? It's because steering is worse with reverse Ackerman, your outside tire wants to turn more but the inside tire is pushing the truck straight. Adding toe-in does the same thing, whereas toe-out emulates some much-needed Ackerman. Or if you have correct Ackerman knuckles... Zero toe is perfect.
On RC trucks with 8° knuckles, the weight is transferred to the outside tire, and weight is taken off the inside tire.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
On RC trucks with 8° knuckles, the weight is transferred to the outside tire, and weight is taken off the inside tire.
At speed, yes. On a slow scale crawler... Not really.

Just to add, I'm enjoying this technical discussion.

SCX10 II Toe - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 Camber or Toe or something steering issue. webbl19 Axial SCX-10 10 05-14-2017 07:41 PM
ax10 convert to scx10 rear axle toe mikesed Axial SCX-10 1 04-08-2017 05:38 PM
Toe out ? SouthernComfort Axial Wraith 10 02-15-2015 09:30 PM
Toe in, Toe out, or Zero ack? The Jackalope General Crawlers 19 03-11-2012 11:11 AM