Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX10 II 2x speed transmisson?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 07:56 AM   #1

Default SCX10 II 2x speed transmisson?

Hi all, I've recently purchased the Honcho and have had some fun on the trail. I do find myself needing some speed for the flat runs and still maintain the crawling option. Any suggestion on options for installing a 2x speed transmission; which one? What would be a cost effective option besides a 2x speed transmission; if that's an option? Cheers.
JPK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 II 2x speed transmisson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPK81 View Post
Hi all, I've recently purchased the Honcho and have had some fun on the trail. I do find myself needing some speed for the flat runs and still maintain the crawling option. Any suggestion on options for installing a 2x speed transmission; which one? What would be a cost effective option besides a 2x speed transmission; if that's an option? Cheers.

Get a good 3500 kv PullerPro, no need for a two speed. Creep and blast, all on one speed. For a two speed you will need another channel on your Tx, and a servo to shift. Add it up, a solid brushless is the way to go.

I run a two speed in my Yeti, but that was a gimmick then, when geared right it is fun and nimble, but not needed.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have the 2 speed in my SCX10II (Cherokee kit). It's pretty cool when you shift on the fly. But, honestly, I'm over it. Never could get the throw right on the servo and now it's not working. Looking at pulling it out and going to a 3 gear trans and better motor/ESC.
Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Get a good 3500 kv PullerPro, no need for a two speed. Creep and blast, all on one speed. For a two speed you will need another channel on your Tx, and a servo to shift. Add it up, a solid brushless is the way to go.

I run a two speed in my Yeti, but that was a gimmick then, when geared right it is fun and nimble, but not needed.

Hang up and Drive
Thanks for the response. I'll have a look into the Brushless system; as there is sensored vs sensorless options which I need to understand. I have read that there is a slight instability with brushless motors at crawling pace....
Old 08-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwfly View Post
I have the 2 speed in my SCX10II (Cherokee kit). It's pretty cool when you shift on the fly. But, honestly, I'm over it. Never could get the throw right on the servo and now it's not working. Looking at pulling it out and going to a 3 gear trans and better motor/ESC.
Also another option for me to think about...
I have the RTR Honcho, so I assume I have the trans that you mention? I've been running a 2s Lipo; I've read the a 3s will make a considerable difference, while maintaining the stock parts...
Old 08-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

2spd's are fun, but they are a gimmick...

I use the rc4wd 2spd for the wraith in my RBK, had to cut the battery tray, and can only run 2200 3s packs. I have gone through 2 servos in the last 2 years. Hitec 5646 and a cheapy. 1st gear is almost to slow, while running brushed to do anything, being a slow walk. top speed is good, but is too tall to really crawl with.

Then there is the slop. I get about a half wheel turn of slop in low gear. You can only imagine what that does for precision crawling.

My honcho has smaller than stock tires, and has run 3s since I got it, when it was first released.

3s for the win!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
2spd's are fun, but they are a gimmick...

I use the rc4wd 2spd for the wraith in my RBK, had to cut the battery tray, and can only run 2200 3s packs. I have gone through 2 servos in the last 2 years. Hitec 5646 and a cheapy. 1st gear is almost to slow, while running brushed to do anything, being a slow walk. top speed is good, but is too tall to really crawl with.

Then there is the slop. I get about a half wheel turn of slop in low gear. You can only imagine what that does for precision crawling.

My honcho has smaller than stock tires, and has run 3s since I got it, when it was first released.

3s for the win!
Will a 3s make a noticeable difference on the stock RTR performance, as opposed to a 2 s?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Will a 3s make a noticeable difference on the stock RTR performance, as opposed to a 2 s?
With no other changes, going to 3S is a 50% increase in motor speed.

So yes, it will be noticeable.

Also, you never use a 2S pack again.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
With no other changes, going to 3S is a 50% increase in motor speed.

So yes, it will be noticeable.

Also, you never use a 2S pack again.
Happy days on that one , 3s it is.

Now, do I go for a small 2200 mAh, or go for a bigger 4000 mAh; keeping in mind that I will mostly do trail and cross obstacle on the trail (rocks, logs, etc)?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Happy days on that one , 3s it is.

Now, do I go for a small 2200 mAh, or go for a bigger 4000 mAh; keeping in mind that I will mostly do trail and cross obstacle on the trail (rocks, logs, etc)?
Yes, 3s minimum.

Keep it smallish and not too heavy for best crawling performance. Here's what I"m running (avoid the earlier 3600mah as they had more tendency to puff prematurely), only 226g on my scale, ProTek RC 3S 120C Si-Graphene + HV Shorty LiPo Battery (11.4V/4100mAh)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek-...116-19/p846216

I usually avoid 2-speed transmissions, but my TRX-4 2speed is very nice and almost zero slop or maintenance.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Also another option for me to think about...
I have the RTR Honcho, so I assume I have the trans that you mention? I've been running a 2s Lipo; I've read the a 3s will make a considerable difference, while maintaining the stock parts...
Yes, you have the trans I'm talking about.
And 3s will be fun. I'm switching over too.
Screwfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #12

So........ with all of your life experiences and suggestion you have in grained in me, I ordered a 3s Lipo this past weekend and received it yesterday. The new battery is now in and man, does the performance jump up a notch!

So, now for the bad news ....... with this new performance, a little speed devil has awoken in me and now I WANT more SPEED!!! I am aware this is not the way for crawling, but I must admit, the Honcho looks good with some speed in it

To SPEED or not to SPEED, this is the question.......
Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So, now for the bad news ....... with this new performance, a little speed devil has awoken in me and now I WANT more SPEED!!! I am aware this is not the way for crawling, but I must admit, the Honcho looks good with some speed in it
A cheap and easy upgrade for more speed without sacrificing low speed control:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/holmes-...t55021/p716283
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
A cheap and easy upgrade for more speed without sacrificing low speed control:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/holmes-...t55021/p716283
Now you're tempting me , not too sure the Honcho will enjoy doing 60 m/h hahaha.

Will the new motor make a significant addition to the top end speed and not affect the crawling speed too much? I was wondering if the stock gears and drive shafts will handle this increase in speed 🤔.

I'm grateful for all these suggestion, thanks all.

Tags
honcho, scx10 ii, transmission

SCX10 II 2x speed transmisson? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
transmisson help DEX South Carolina 6 09-09-2011 08:56 AM
Locked Transmisson? REDCORN Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 02-05-2009 04:07 PM