Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Ar44 axle maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #1

Default Ar44 axle maintenance

I tore down my axles last night to check them over and re- grease the gears. I noticed when i removed the lockouts that the bearing and axle shaft were rusting pretty good on one side. i cleaned it up and applied some udder butter to the bearings for now until I get some new ones in. What is best to help this from happening again in the future. I do drive thru water sometimes but try not to go swimming too much. I did not apply any grease to these bearings when I first assembled the kit. Would putting a little waterproof grease like I did now be enough to keep these bearings from rusting?
Ncrooks89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #2

Default Re: Ar44 axle maintenance

When I got my scx10ii last year I put regular bearing grease in the differential and I also coated all of the bearings as well as the axle shafts with grease. I regularly take mine through water and mud and everything seems to be holding up just fine. I took my axles apart for the first time in 9 months a while back and there wasn't any rust on the bearings or other parts. The grease was looking pretty dirty though so I cleaned all the parts off applied new grease and I still haven't had any problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
mattjd110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd110 View Post
When I got my scx10ii last year I put regular bearing grease in the differential and I also coated all of the bearings as well as the axle shafts with grease. I regularly take mine through water and mud and everything seems to be holding up just fine. I took my axles apart for the first time in 9 months a while back and there wasn't any rust on the bearings or other parts. The grease was looking pretty dirty though so I cleaned all the parts off applied new grease and I still haven't had any problems.

Thanks for the input. This was my first kit build and the first time I have tore it down since I built it last year. Hopefully the grease will fix my problems.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #4

My best guess is with a little grease you should be fine

mattjd110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd110 View Post
Should do this from the git go if you're planning on water. I also pop one seal off each bearing and put a little extra grease inside too. Gotta do regular maintenance too especially when wading or swimming.

Rockhugger showed me this, best lower viscosity grease ever, doesn't cause excess drag but lubes great!
https://www.tiredirontractorparts.co...rt-a-b1sb9089/
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Should do this from the git go if you're planning on water. I also pop one seal off each bearing and put a little extra grease inside too. Gotta do regular maintenance too especially when wading or swimming.

Rockhugger showed me this, best lower viscosity grease ever, doesn't cause excess drag but lubes great!

https://www.tiredirontractorparts.co...rt-a-b1sb9089/

I’ll have to pick up some of that and give it a try.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

It's more for bearings, should've clarified, but I've used a little added to some thicker grease where I want something not quite so thick. Great in bearings because it flows, doesn't just get pushed out of the balls path and then dried up lol.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
v33
Rock Crawler

what i do when building an scx10v2 axle is put grease on the back of the bearing of the pinion gear (the larger internal bearing AX31407) and the bearing on the universal axle (the one that goes inside the axle tubes). this prevents dirt and water from entering and rusting the bearings inside.

as a preventive measure (since i live in the tropics), if my rig swims or gets wet, either by submerging the whole rig or power washing the rig... i dry it and then spray WD40. I've been doing this for more than 2 years now and my 1st scx10v2 are still running the original bearings with no rust. btw, i ran my rigs hard... i guess i am lucky and have not broken anything ever since i got the kit version (brand new). i have constantly upgraded a lot of things, but the axles internals remain the same.

Last edited by v33; 08-16-2019 at 08:01 AM.
v33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by v33 View Post
what i do when building an scx10v2 axle is put grease on the back of the bearing of the pinion gear (the larger internal bearing AX31407) and the bearing on the universal axle (the one that goes inside the axle tubes). this prevents dirt and water from entering and rusting the bearings inside.

as a preventive measure (since i live in the tropics), if my rig swims or gets wet, either by submerging the whole rig or power washing the rig... i dry it and then spray WD40. I've been doing this for more than 2 years now and my 1st scx10v2 are still running the original bearings with no rust. btw, i ran my rigs hard... i guess i am lucky and have not broken anything ever since i got the kit version (brand new). i have constantly upgraded a lot of things, but the axles internals remain the same.
Thanks for the input. I drive mine pretty hard with a brushless 3300kv Holmes puller pro and haven't had much carnage except for the stock plastic front shock tower/ panhard mount. The stock bearing wasn't rusted too bad so it should last for a little bit. I plan on upgrading to SSD pro44 sometime in the future and will put all new bearings in at that point.

Ar44 axle maintenance - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AR44 rear axle bearings? 2 or 4? GTSLOW Axial SCX10 II 17 05-07-2017 11:44 AM
XR axle bearing prep and maintenance Rokpile Axial XR10 3 12-21-2010 09:29 PM
Axle Lube & maintenance T/C Hunter Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 12-10-2010 07:58 PM