Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 09:43 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcod13 View Post
Glad this thread is getting you pumped up! I will admit, I too am amped to get this thing running. Got a busy week ahead of me so gonna pause it for now. I’m looking for an ESC at the moment and I have heard great things about the Hobbywing 1080, I believe? It’s especially good for crawler chassis and it is customizable.

In regard to a couple of your concerns, the shock O rings seem to be a standard size. I took off the end cap of the shock and noticed a red o ring that looked like a standard sized one, 3mm IIRC?

According to kitchen, who posted above, they are saying this Clone trans is the RTR SCX10ii so my guess is that the metal SCX10 gears should fit? Might be a worthy gamble! If those gears fit this trans, this chassis would be even better than it already is.

The 30WT oil and green slime should do the trick, the 50WT I used was way too heavy. I will be lowering it like I mentioned. Playing around with springs would be a good idea too, the stock ones are decent though and provide good bounce and retraction.

Let me know how yours looks when it comes in!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Hobbywing WR1080 is a fantastic ESC. I run them in several of my rigs.

That said, I’m going to use the Hobbywing 1060 on this one. Still a good ESC, but I can get one new for less than $20.00! 💰

Budget...budget...budget is a high priority for this particular build! Left overs and budget items will rule the day. 👍🏼

I’m going to rebuild those shocks and hope for the best. They can’t suck any more that the stock Axial shocks.🤣

I’m confident the SCX10 metal gears will work. I won’t install them unless I have to, but those plastic tranny gears might be the week link in the chain? 🤔

I even think dive found a cool budget body option!?😮
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcod13 View Post
Did you happen to replace the slipper clutch pad? Is yours foam too lol? Or is it all good?

Thanks!

Mine is locked up tight. Not using the slipper.

HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:40 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
The Hobbywing WR1080 is a fantastic ESC. I run them in several of my rigs.

That said, I’m going to use the Hobbywing 1060 on this one. Still a good ESC, but I can get one new for less than $20.00! ��

Budget...budget...budget is a high priority for this particular build! Left overs and budget items will rule the day. ����

I’m going to rebuild those shocks and hope for the best. They can’t suck any more that the stock Axial shocks.��

I’m confident the SCX10 metal gears will work. I won’t install them unless I have to, but those plastic tranny gears might be the week link in the chain? ��

I even think dive found a cool budget body option!?��
I have a 1060 in another chassis that I may pull and use here. I like the Hobbywing products and the 1060 will most likely be adequate for my use of this chassis. Will pick up a 1080 at some point later on because I really want to try one out lol

Time will tell regarding the plastic tranny gears, everything seems to be well put together and the parts were nice and neat, i.e. no flashing on the plastic. I think it will hold up for a long time if you just plan to run around the garden or smooth trail runs. Serious rock crawling and mud will most likely demand the steel gear set.

I found a lexan Jeep JKU body for like 14.99 USD shipped. But, for this scale build I wanted to get the Axial XJ, its been on my list for a few years now

Last edited by marcod13; 09-03-2019 at 07:43 PM.
marcod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 PM   #24
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
Mine is locked up tight. Not using the slipper.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build

I took another look at the shocks tonight and noticed that they leaked a bit of oil, so I opened them up again and took some out and they actually felt really good! They were responsive and were equally slow and quick, felt like the real deal nitrogen charged shock! I am going to still lower the WT of the oil and play around with it some more, but again, I'm very impressed overall.

I then began to trim the Axial Jeep Cherokee body (part no. AX31337) and I love the detail that is included with the body. Its got separate molded parts like door handles, front grill and light lenses. It will really set this scale XJ apart from doing a normal XJ build I hope.

The body is going to sit low and I am not going to use the factory rock sliders that are included with the body. I am going to explore some other ideas once I get to that point. The rear of the XJ is super thin so I plan to reinforce it will some shoe-goo and drywall tape or add some scrap lexan and shoe-goo.

I am not really a fan of the sticker side markers, I noticed that Axial requires you to fix the grill to the body by putting screws in place here then cover the screw heads with a sticker. I am going to find another way to fix the grill to the body so I can make some nicer looking side markers.

I'm also on the look out for some magnet body mounts, I plan on doing no body posts here. I may need to pick up the Axial body posts (part no. AX31391) to get the height right for the body. If I go this route, I've got the idea to glue some of those rare earth magnets to the ends of the posts and the body.

I also installed a servo, Tactic TSX40, I don't know if I am going to stay with this one though, I think I will need a higher torque rating than the TSX40.

Last edited by marcod13; 09-04-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Just checked tracking and with any luck, mine will be here tomorrow.

If I like what I see, I’m going to order another one.

Hard to pass up at that price.👍🏼
Old 09-04-2019, 09:32 AM   #27

I'm really interested to see how this holds up to tumbles on the trail. Clone plastic is usually brittle and their metal quite flexible.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm really interested to see how this holds up to tumbles on the trail. Clone plastic is usually brittle and their metal quite flexible.
I agree.

This is a project.

Budget being a focal point.

It won’t be a dedicated competition rig.

I don’t have any expectations of high performance or supreme material quality.

It’s just going to be fun budget minded trail rig.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I agree.

This is a project.

Budget being a focal point.

It won’t be a dedicated competition rig.

I don’t have any expectations of high performance or supreme material quality.

It’s just going to be fun budget minded trail rig.
YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

What Dezfan said lol... fun budget build is where I’m at with this too. Stumbled across it one day on flea-bay, had an idea and here we are

So far, I’m very impressed with it and I really think for some light running around on a trail through a forest or something, it’s going to hold up well.

The brittleness of the plastic is definitely going to be a concerning factor during the winter when I take this out in the snow. As (or if) these parts break I plan to use Axial plastic replacements where I can, such as the shock mount bits.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #30
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Just checked tracking and with any luck, mine will be here tomorrow.

If I like what I see, I’m going to order another one.

Hard to pass up at that price.

Awesome!! Post up a few pictures to compare the delivery experience. I just noticed last night that my receiver box is missing one counter sunk screw, I wonder if it was an oversight or they all come with three? Let me know if yours is missing one too

Old 09-05-2019, 07:37 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Better late than never (USPS did the final delivery), my Austar/Injora slider arrived this afternoon.

It arrived intact, no damage and fairly well packaged.

No large oil stains in the bottom of box, so that’s good? Unless there is no oil in the shocks from the factor?

Fresh out of the box.

To be honest, Im pretty impressed. Everything seems to be good quality, the chassis flexes about as much as an SCX10.

I checked some of the hardware and everything was tight, hardware doesn’t seem to be soft.

I installed the front bumper, front hexs and pins.

Mounted up a set of Traxxas TRX4 Canyon Trail tires and wheels that this build will be using (waiting on a tire to arrive) just to see what it looks like as a roller.

It’s still really early in the game, but so far I’m very happy with the Austar/Injora Crawler slider.

I’ll be starting my own build thread soon.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #32

Seems like an interesting option, the ring and pinion may be a problem if they fail. Not sure if those will interchange with something else. You might be able to reuse the shafts and lockouts with an axial center section and gears if those fail.
norcal-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:27 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Better late than never (USPS did the final delivery), my Austar/Injora slider arrived this afternoon.

It arrived intact, no damage and fairly well packaged.

No large oil stains in the bottom of box, so that’s good? Unless there is no oil in the shocks from the factor?

Fresh out of the box.

To be honest, Im pretty impressed. Everything seems to be good quality, the chassis flexes about as much as an SCX10.

I checked some of the hardware and everything was tight, hardware doesn’t seem to be soft.

I installed the front bumper, front hexs and pins.

Mounted up a set of Traxxas TRX4 Canyon Trail tires and wheels that this build will be using (waiting on a tire to arrive) just to see what it looks like as a roller.

It’s still really early in the game, but so far I’m very happy with the Austar/Injora Crawler slider.

I’ll be starting my own build thread soon.

It looks awesome! Glad it arrived intact. Will be sure to check out your build too!

Old 09-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #34

We have one of these trucks that we have been wheeling. Out of the box it is great. The shocks actually work really well. We run 15 weight oil in them and also used Associated green goo to help keep them from leaking. So far so good. The only week link we have found is the transmission so far. First run out, and a hard run at that the trans let go. It took 2 teeth off the top gear, but it still made it back to camp under its own power (clicking). We didn't care if it did anymore damage as we had already decided to upgrade the trans. After opening up the trans we noticed the gears are not the same as the Axial gears, as you can see in pics above. We have opted for a full metal gear set that included new clutches, spur, main shaft, and outputs. This kit will be here today, and installed tonight. I will let you guys know how it works out tomorrow. We installed box stock axial wheels and tires. Please with the links, and the over all quality of the truck. Key note is the driver of this truck is a newbie, and has not learned the art of patience. That being said this truck took a beating, and impressed us all.
Industry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I looked at these before, and they were tempting, but in the end I opted not to since it looked like there may be too many things I'd want to replace.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #36

So I received the new trans gears yesterday and sat down to start the install. The package said right on it Made In China. This may turn some people away, but I have found with many things outside of rc crawling that made in china isn't always a bad thing. That being said I was pleased with the quality of the parts, not so much the lack of instructions. Fortunately this is simple enough to figure out. This set came with all three metal gears inside the trans, metal 64 pitch spur, and pinion, gear and pinion shafts, and slipper clutch. The gears fit the trans case, and bearing very well, and went together well. Upon installing the new spur gear, and slipper clutch I noticed the trans got tight when tightening the clutch. With further inspection, and many assembly, disassembly, and repeat I found there needed to be a washer added to keep the flywheel from bottoming out against the trans case. A simple fix yet a piece that should have been included. Now keep in mind what I ordered was a direct replacement for the Axial SCX10 trans, and I have found many things on this rig to be what appears to be the same, but not quite. Once past the hurdles this gear set works great with this trans. Testing it out this weekend and will see whats next on the upgrade list.
I'm thinking I am going to purchase another one of these trucks, start a build thread with all the upgrades I do to it. Maybe a Amazon build.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry View Post
We have one of these trucks that we have been wheeling. Out of the box it is great. The shocks actually work really well. We run 15 weight oil in them and also used Associated green goo to help keep them from leaking. So far so good. The only week link we have found is the transmission so far. First run out, and a hard run at that the trans let go. It took 2 teeth off the top gear, but it still made it back to camp under its own power (clicking). We didn't care if it did anymore damage as we had already decided to upgrade the trans. After opening up the trans we noticed the gears are not the same as the Axial gears, as you can see in pics above. We have opted for a full metal gear set that included new clutches, spur, main shaft, and outputs. This kit will be here today, and installed tonight. I will let you guys know how it works out tomorrow. We installed box stock axial wheels and tires. Please with the links, and the over all quality of the truck. Key note is the driver of this truck is a newbie, and has not learned the art of patience. That being said this truck took a beating, and impressed us all.

Which kit is it? Do you have a link, or description?

Old 09-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #38

The kit we have is the $149 assembled chassis kit by Injora. Purchased from Amazon Prime.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #39
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industry View Post
The kit we have is the $149 assembled chassis kit by Injora. Purchased from Amazon Prime.

No sorry, I wasn’t specific enough. I mean the link to the steel gear set lol, thanks!

Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #40

Here is the link to the gear set I used. I will be installing another gear set in a Injora kit I ordered today. I will take pics, and do a little write up.

https://www.amazon.com/Que-T-Heavy-T...8684273&sr=8-4

SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injora SCX10 ii clone nzrc 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 08-27-2019 08:45 PM
Wrangler build question. Proline vs Axial vs Injora badgustav Traxxas TRX-4 5 08-26-2019 10:34 PM
New C3 build please follow! kcoon5 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 06-19-2015 06:47 PM
Clone Sammy Build scuzzy51 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 11-14-2010 12:24 AM
Follow along(and help) as I build my first TLT Hardrockguitar1 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 23 12-28-2006 05:16 PM