Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Honcho Weighty issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

Default Honcho Weighty issue

SCX10ii Honcho, working great with Hobbywing 1080, Crawlmaster Expert 16t, TRX Shocks, Overdrive on front diff, Beadlocks plus PitBull Rock Beasts, all working well, and whilst there is room to do more it has been a fun learning curve both in driving and modifications. So my problem is I am very happy with how the truck drives and climbs, but I do get hung up on the belly sometimes, I opted to swop out the stock side tray & sliders for a Scalerfab steel set of sliders with sidebars. This all worked great, the truck drives pretty much the same and does clear wood and rocks really well, given that these obstacles have hung me up before, so smiles all around. Until I came to a tall 48" high rock with a very steep side which I usually climb up without a problem (when I am on the right line). So tried to climb this rock and could not make it, retried many times but just ended up doing a pogo bounce along the rock face. Conclusion the extra weight added by the steel sliders is the issue. So I see one obvious fix option 1) remove the steel sliders for either the stock set or something of equivalent weight. option 2) Would a change in motor or gearing help get my crawling capability back ??
macman809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Honcho Weighty issue

It isn’t so much about weight , but where it ends up. Sometimes changing shock oil can help slowing suspension up or speeding it up.Shock angle can also help, it’s really about watching and tweaking. Moving your battery also can help

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've found as have others that testing tires and difficult lines will often yield different results based on humidity temperature and a number of other factors. I have a granite countertop slab (flipped over) that I test on and its just about the most consistent rock there is yet I still get different results when I test with it.

I'm not saying things haven't changed for you but rather test, test and test again just to make sure and to get a sort of average.

Mike has some good tips on playing around with the suspension, that is whats doing the actual bouncing.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #4

Thanks for both those tips, MikemcE you maybe right about the shocks I did not reset them for the new weight so that is worth exploring. The weight distribution is still the same (front/rear, side to side) just heavier. But I am going to reevaluate my shock set up given the changes.

HumboldteF, you know I completely spaced on this aspect, you maybe right it had rained the day before and it is a steep climb so that could very well be the answer also.

either way re-set the shocks, clean up the rig and head back out to the trail sounds like a plan to me. I would like to keep the scalefab sliders as they really drive nicely over rough terrain but if the weight is an issue I would prefer the better crawling capability.

I think the Honco crawls really well for an off the shelf RTR, and spending some time driving and a few great aftermarket mods you can really get these to perform quite well (in my limited experience). would love to keep building on this experience.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Another item to consider is foam tuning. You may have just breached the avalible sidewall support from your foams...

Typically a hop in the 1:1 world means your tire pressure is to low for the conditions. Since we do not run air we tune with foams... jst a thought.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 01:44 PM   #6

Again another issue, the whole truck was dialed in for the stock sliders/weight, and I just finally decided to swop out the sliders after getting hung up one to many times. So keen to get out there and experiment that I lost sight of the weight gain and its effects on all the issues mentioned. Back to the test bench for the suspension and tires for sure. Then back to the trail for another attempt at the rock climb.

Honcho Weighty issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
heavy/weighty 1.9 wheels sawhead Axial SCX-10 10 08-14-2019 07:11 AM
SCX10ii Honcho Suspension Issue(s) DeadBattery Axial SCX10 II 5 05-24-2019 09:16 PM
Fresh Honcho Issue Dan_in_real_life Axial SCX10 II 5 04-04-2018 07:04 AM
Possible binding issue stock Honcho???? TraxFD Electronics 4 10-10-2011 06:40 PM
SCX10 Honcho runtime issue aceisback Axial SCX-10 20 05-13-2011 08:39 PM