Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build

I have been off this forum for a while but have found my way back in dealing with an issue regarding my MST CMX. I came across something on flea-bay that looked like a decent venture. An SCX10 ii chassis for 120$ shipped??? This chassis is called the Injora/Austar 313mm/12.3” chassis and it looks like an SCX10 ii! I ordered one, I was curious... it is currently passed through Canada Customs and should be here tomorrow. Does anyone here own one of these? I am not expecting much in all honesty but I think it will be fun to do a scale XJ build. I’m reading a bit about the chassis and the parts seem just OK but nothing to write home about. My biggest question for those who have one, can you fit some Axial parts on this? I’m more interested in internal parts like bevel gears and axle shafts etc. Please, let me know so I can order those and replace in the future. Once this clone chassis comes in, I will take it apart and rebuild/regrease and update here

Thanks!

Last edited by marcod13; 08-31-2019 at 09:56 AM.
marcod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2019, 06:25 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora) Future XJ build to follow...

One of the big letdowns of these clones is they did not copy the high pinion/hypoid gear setup of the AR44s so Axial compatible gears will not work. It wouldn't surprise me if spare gear sets aren't even available since it is common with a lot of china axle sets. No idea on compatibility of other parts though.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #3

Interested to see it. Post pics once it comes in...
braytonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
One of the big letdowns of these clones is they did not copy the high pinion/hypoid gear setup of the AR44s so Axial compatible gears will not work. It wouldn't surprise me if spare gear sets aren't even available since it is common with a lot of china axle sets. No idea on compatibility of other parts though.
I really appreciate your input. I was thinking the same exact thing so I think I am going to try an experiment with this build. I’m going to stick with this chassis but buy SCX10ii axles and outfit with better shocks. Everything else from transmission to driveshafts will stay the same and I will compete it to the real deal using my friends SCX10ii to see how much of a good or bad clone it really is. I’ll see first how long the Chinese axles last then swap over. Driveshafts appear to be steel based on the photos so maybe that will be promising. Time will tell... but I’ll keep you posted.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by braytonia View Post
Interested to see it. Post pics once it comes in...
I was going to do that tonight! It’s at the post office and I didn’t get the chance to go and get so hopefully I’ll have some time tomorrow if not Friday. Thanks for following along with the build
Old 08-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

So, I picked up the box from the post office today. It arrived in good shape with no major damage. There were a few holes from the axle shaft ends that poked through the box but other than that it was all OK. I took some pictures to show how it looked when it arrived. It seems as though these chassis are built and then boxed ready to ship because it had a sticker that said made in China with a barcode attached to it.. my guess is for inventory purposes at the warehouse. Upon opening the box I found the two loose packages, one was a bumper mount and the other was the front bumper. Hardware was provided for the install as well. I then unwrapped the rest of the chassis from its protective bubble wrap and was delighted to see a familiar looking SCX-10 chassis design and as a plus! the shocks were not leaking oil all over the place as I have seen with some other unboxing videos and photos. The suspension travel seems good and the shocks are very light so I am wondering if there is even any oil in them but at least I was not greeted by an oily mess! The parts plastic and aluminum do look of decent quality, plastic is somewhat flexible but no where near the tolerance of Axial equipment. For under 120$ CAD shipped i am thoroughly impressed. Included was a receiver box and even a 35T motor already bolted to the transmission. I tried to turn the drivetrain by hand twisting the axle ends but was unable to do so which could be the fact that the motor is of decent quality or there is some binding in the transmission, the former is more likely as this is not something achievable on an SCX10 with a 27T Axial motor installed. Tomorrow I will take some time to rip apart the transmission and line up everything. I have some SCX10 ii axles that are on the way that I picked up for $80 and will put them on once these ones blow out. So far, I’m 200$ CAD in with this chassis and I’m feeling impressed. The only thing I wish they included was a manual for parts references and such. Now I’ve just got to figure out how to post the pictures I took of the unboxing. Time will tell what’s to come, stay tuned!

Last edited by marcod13; 08-30-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Here are the photos of the unboxing and the chassis.

Box is nicely packaged.

What looks like a delivery ready box with barcode.

Axles and bumper poking through!

Inside the box

The packaged, loose components (bumper and bumper mount)

The battery tray is aluminum which is nice, I thought it would be plastic.

No oil leaks! (Maybe cuz there’s no oil)

Underside

Front end, mix of aluminum and plastic. The shock ends are aluminum, nice touch!

I’m curious if the Axial body mounts accommodate this chassis.

Bumper has some nice detail. Loose components, pins, hex adapters, and other hardware.

Universal style axle shafts for the front

Driveshafts made of aluminum and metal. Seems lightweight but should hold up fine.

Picture with the dirt grabbers I will be using for the XJ.

Some camber!

That’s all for now. If anyone is curious about something regarding this chassis, let me know and I’ll look into it or reply. I’m going to email the seller to see if there is a PDF manual they can send me. Will do be doing a transmission tear down tomorrow if I have some time, will also take a look at inside the axles and grease them if they seem dry. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2019, 08:29 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Looking more into this chassis, I’m thinking of going with a leaf spring rear for more scale realism. IIRC the XJs had a rear leaf spring setup. Need to double check my notes.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have one on the way.

Couldn’t pass it up for $92.99 shipped!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:57 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora) Future XJ build to follow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
I have one on the way.

Couldn’t pass it up for $92.99 shipped!

We must have bought from same seller cuz that was my price as well! I emailed them for a PDF manual and I will post it here if they send it. I’m excited to dig into tomorrow!

Old 08-31-2019, 09:47 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora) Future XJ build to follow...

Morning has come, so I started to remove the transmission from the chassis. There are 4 hex head screws holding it in, two are longer than the other, not sure if the SCX10ii is also like this?

The outdrives off the transmission have two set screws holding them onto the driveshafts, not sure if the SCX10 ii is like this? They also used blue Loctite which is good! Everything was fastened down and nothing was loose. So if you took the rig on a trail run immediately after receiving it, the transmission and outdrives would be fine.

Transmission is out

The gear cover is held in with three Philips head screws, I would have preferred Hex head here so I will probably change them myself.

Upon opening the cover I was pleasantly surprised to find a slipper clutch setup, and greased pinion and spur gears! The spur looks of decent plastic quality and the pinion is probably a mixed metal, definitely not hardened even though it looks dark like it.

Will continue the tear down of the transmission in a little while. My updates are pretty much “Live” in the moment.

Thanks!

Last edited by marcod13; 08-31-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #12

Default Re: SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build

You have a SCX10 ii RTR trans and trans plate. And SCX10 ii Kit links, the best from both imo. My scx10 ii rtr only has one set screw on the outdrive

Last edited by Kitchen; 08-31-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
You have a SCX10 ii RTR trans and trans plate. And SCX10 ii Kit links, the best from both imo. My scx10 ii rtr only has one set screw on the outdrive

Thanks for the information that is very helpful going forward in this build/comparison of the clone. I’m curious as to why they went with the two set screws here, it looks like I can use a screw pin as there is a hole running right through the outdrive. I may in fact do that because it will be easier to disassemble and keep track of those tiny parts.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcod13 View Post
Thanks for the information that is very helpful going forward in this build/comparison of the clone. I’m curious as to why they went with the two set screws here, it looks like I can use a screw pin as there is a hole running right through the outdrive. I may in fact do that because it will be easier to disassemble and keep track of those tiny parts.

Thanks!

If you ever upgrade the axles they mostly will come with one long screw pin like you said, so you wont have a problem upgrading the drive shafts.

If fact here is a set of driveshafts I'm getting specific to the SCX10 ii RTR drive shaft lengths, https://www.amainhobbies.com/incisio...c00220/p759002

I just installed this as well, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's full metal Trans/Gears, completely drop in ready for the SCX10 ii RTR
Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:50 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen View Post
If you ever upgrade the axles they mostly will come with one long screw pin like you said, so you wont have a problem upgrading the drive shafts.

If fact here is a set of driveshafts I'm getting specific to the SCX10 ii RTR drive shaft lengths, https://www.amainhobbies.com/incisio...c00220/p759002

I just installed this as well, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's full metal Trans/Gears, completely drop in ready for the SCX10 ii RTR

Thanks for the links! Love the look and build quality of those driveshafts. I took another look at the ones on the Clone today, I have a feeling that they’re not going to hold up for too long lol... but time will tell! I didn’t have time to crack open the Clone trans but I’m hoping to find metal gears, it never specified online. If they’re not metal, I’m ordering the one you linked here, looks great! Of course, it’ll be installed if the clone one fails me during the tests I have planned once it’s built.

Thanks for all the cool stuff! I’m really liking the fact SCX10 ii RTR (separate) components seem to fit right in!

Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Default SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build

So I went back for round 2 on the transmission. i was in the process of taking off the spur gear cover and was going to tear down the trans. I’m hoping for metal gears here. Upon removal of the slipper spring nut and friction plate it has been revealed that the slipper pad is nothing more than a piece of circular foam tape LOL.

Im sure the slipper system would benefit from a better pad in place of the foam.
I then began to remove the three screws holding the trans together and once I was able to pull them apart I discovered that the gears inside are indeed plastic, but they were at least greased throughly. I added a little bit more just for safe measure and then added some bearing oil to all the bearings.

Once that was done I began to reassemble and noticed that the spur gear bearing was plastic? I’ve seen this before and figured to replace it with a ball bearing instead, a metric 5x11x4 fits perfectly, or for you Tamiya fans (like me) an 1150 bearing.

I had a 45T motor laying around so I installed it for some extra torque. The motor that comes with the Clone is the same brand “Austar” but 35T.

Transmission is all sealed up and tightened down.

I then made some progress with the front and rear diff to check for grease. The detail is very nicely done and quite close to the SCX10ii. Luckily, both front and rear diffs had some blue grease. I added some more though just in case.

Next will be the shock absorbers. Thinking to just replace them as they seem so thin and fragile. Also, they had no oil. I don’t have any suitable oil on hand at the moment to fill them so when I get a chance, I’ll pick up some 20WT/25T Shock oil. It should be very thin because the piston disc doesn’t look like it has breather holes. Unless the disc is cut on both sides to allow oil to pass through. I tried 50WT and it’s way too stiff for the tiny shocks.

Thanks!

Old 09-02-2019, 02:46 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Looks great for the money!����

Mine should be here by the end of the week.

I’m going to pick up a couple of those 5x11 bearings to have on hand and I think I I’ll order some metal SCX10 transmission gears, just in case.

I hope the shock O-rings are standard sized, I have a package of them on hand and plan to rebuild the shocks with new O-rings, slime, 30wt oil, and I’ll play with different spring sets I have on hand.

I’ll be replacing the 2 short set screws for the drive shafts with a si game longer one.

Getting more excited about this cheap POS’s arrival. I love a project.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Ive got one of those transmissions and it seems fine for a basic runner. I’m interested in how reliable those axles will be.

HugoBiermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:34 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Looks great for the money!

Mine should be here by the end of the week.

I’m going to pick up a couple of those 5x11 bearings to have on hand and I think I I’ll order some metal SCX10 transmission gears, just in case.

I hope the shock O-rings are standard sized, I have a package of them on hand and plan to rebuild the shocks with new O-rings, slime, 30wt oil, and I’ll play with different spring sets I have on hand.

I’ll be replacing the 2 short set screws for the drive shafts with a si game longer one.

Getting more excited about this cheap POS’s arrival. I love a project.

Glad this thread is getting you pumped up! I will admit, I too am amped to get this thing running. Got a busy week ahead of me so gonna pause it for now. I’m looking for an ESC at the moment and I have heard great things about the Hobbywing 1080, I believe? It’s especially good for crawler chassis and it is customizable.

In regard to a couple of your concerns, the shock O rings seem to be a standard size. I took off the end cap of the shock and noticed a red o ring that looked like a standard sized one, 3mm IIRC?

According to kitchen, who posted above, they are saying this Clone trans is the RTR SCX10ii so my guess is that the metal SCX10 gears should fit? Might be a worthy gamble! If those gears fit this trans, this chassis would be even better than it already is.

The 30WT oil and green slime should do the trick, the 50WT I used was way too heavy. I will be lowering it like I mentioned. Playing around with springs would be a good idea too, the stock ones are decent though and provide good bounce and retraction.

Let me know how yours looks when it comes in!

Thanks

Old 09-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoBiermann View Post
Ive got one of those transmissions and it seems fine for a basic runner. I’m interested in how reliable those axles will be.

Did you happen to replace the slipper clutch pad? Is yours foam too lol? Or is it all good?

Thanks!

SCX10 ii clone chassis (Injora): 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ scale build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Injora SCX10 ii clone nzrc 1.9 Scale Rigs 14 08-27-2019 08:45 PM
Wrangler build question. Proline vs Axial vs Injora badgustav Traxxas TRX-4 5 08-26-2019 10:34 PM
New C3 build please follow! kcoon5 2.2 Scale Rigs 1 06-19-2015 06:47 PM
Clone Sammy Build scuzzy51 1.9 Scale Rigs 51 11-14-2010 12:24 AM
Follow along(and help) as I build my first TLT Hardrockguitar1 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 23 12-28-2006 05:16 PM