Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SCX 10.2 69 Blazer with Gen 8 Portals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
Rig

Default SCX 10.2 69 Blazer with Gen 8 Portals

Hey guys just wanted to share with you my 69 Blazer with Gen 8 Portals. I tackled this customization last night. Really loving the way it drives with the extra gear reduction. Currently using the Gen 8 Portals, wheels/tires and shocks. Shocks will likely stay, wheels and tires will be changed soon.

Appologies for the low quality photos, I had no idea this tablet was capable of such thing.

Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX 10.2 69 Blazer with Gen 8 Portals

Looks good, The portals really give it A highly modified look.....
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Looks good, The portals really give it A highly modified look.....
Thanks, it was a lot of fun swapping them in.
Old 10-01-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks pretty good.👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:37 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Nice!! How's the steering? Any improvement due to the axials servo location?
LetsBash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsBash View Post
Nice!! How's the steering? Any improvement due to the axials servo location?
As far as just hanging the wheels off the ground and turning lock to lock. It was. But with the stock servo it struggles to turn the tires during actual use. The angle in which I had to put the steering linkage is just too extreme. It needs a dropped servo arm. I tried using the red cat servo arm but the base of it was too big so when you turned toward the driver side it would cram into the pan hard mount and really the little bit of offset it offered wasn't enough.

I actually ended up disassembling it and putting them back under my redcat. Since I really like my Gen8. I've turned my focus to working on a couple of abused RCs I got in a trade at the moment. And hoping to get a 3d printer so when I tackle this next time I can set things up a bit more accurately. Unfortunately they weren't parts bin axles or I would have kept going with it but they came from under my gen8 which is only a couple weeks old. I was bored one night and wanted to see how it would turn out.

Overall performance, it wasnt really all that much better than the Blazer in stock form and not as good as the Redcat in stock form. The gearing was crazy low in it though, had tons of torque. Ended up breaking the hex out of the inside of one of the rims when a tire got bound between 2 rocks. It was also deathly slow and had no wheel speed. I'd estimate the speed full throttle around 3mph
Old 10-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #7
RCC Addict

If u ever run into the issue of needing the servo arm to have a drop in it, i found a decent solution. I had the same issue with my hi-boy scx10ii. I used a pivot/hollow ball between the servo arm n the drag link. Ive had no issues of binding nor does it seem to wanna move side to side like its tryin to bend. Its been runnin this way for better than a yr. Takes roll overs n steep tumbles n comes back for more

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #8
Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
If u ever run into the issue of needing the servo arm to have a drop in it, i found a decent solution. I had the same issue with my hi-boy scx10ii. I used a pivot/hollow ball between the servo arm n the drag link. Ive had no issues of binding nor does it seem to wanna move side to side like its tryin to bend. Its been runnin this way for better than a yr. Takes roll overs n steep tumbles n comes back for more

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
I had thought of something similar, not exactly what you done, but using a longer screw with a tubing spacer. But where I had to use the stock Axial servo arm which is plastic, I figured it would have just ended up bending so I never tried it. I would like to fabricate a solid servo arm. I like your truck and your idea though. I just recently got rid of a 1:1 high boy.

SCX 10.2 69 Blazer with Gen 8 Portals - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redcat Gen 7 Portals On SCX10II Honcho Bkrboy98 Axial SCX10 II 4 05-29-2019 05:23 PM
Scx10 2 blazer build, i want to do portals and rear steer but not sure where to start Norcalnoob Axial SCX10 II 14 03-21-2019 10:21 PM
New Brite 1:24 1st Gen K5 Blazer BigSki General Scale Talk 2 01-08-2018 01:43 PM