Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Newb learns some things about AR44 axles, lol.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Newb learns some things about AR44 axles, lol.

Late to the game, I know, but there’s sooo many things to learn. So the (newest ?) AR44 is a one piece design, at least it is for the UMG10. And doofy axle weights like these Yeah Racing numbers have no place to mount up. So I threw some perhaps good money after bad and ordered a fancier SSD Pro44 three piece axle because they’re mine now that they’re opened and that doesn’t fit the weights or the existing hardware. Needs a shock link and C-hub...do I have that right? Or is Pro44 a different form factor, in case I’m doing the wrong thing here again?
Attached Images

LincolnofDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Newb learns some things about AR44 axles, lol.

The pro44 needs the link mounts and the chubs. If you go for the vanquish link mounts, the hardware is included. You can use some stock plastic axial chubs which are $6ish. As far as I know the brass doesn’t fit the pro44s. I’d recommend SSDs weighted knuckles, or just using some lead weight in the tires, around the inner ring of the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:32 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Awesome. Just put 60g in each front wheel like you described...seems pretty great like that—thanks.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Samix brass chubs and link mounts will fit
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Just wondering what made you think you need to add all that stuff down low in the first place. The 10ii is a well-designed chassis, to say the least, and crawls with the best of them, without slapping on weights.
Oh was just acting out of ignorance and experimenting. 11.4 WB in Mog flavor is a little tippy, or so I thought. I can see I should have either spent a bit more and put weight at the corners or just driven happily as-is, which I’m more or less doing now, with 60g of scooter balancing lead in each of the front wheels.
The money spent would likely have been better going overdrive in the front, but since I had not done it yet, I wanted to experiment with weight down low on the front axle, just to see what that would do when things get steep and low traction. Then the axles were chasing a pretty bad choice with that brass, but live and learn.

The Mog maybe also seemed like it would be more-Moggy with more front weight. I’m totally open to suggestions, but for now front weighted lead in metal beadlocks feels pretty good with a torquey little HH 35t Expert. I may be done modding it for now and am pretty happy with this first build and the flexibility it lends to playing around with other shells, especially the one here with the improved approach angles. It’ll still need some quality rubber down the road, for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts, all. I really appreciate and use them.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2019, 12:40 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I just finished my scx10.2 build today and took it out for a run. I was very impressed. It was doing things much easier than my scx10 did.
Only real difference was I put softer foam in the front tires. Hydrax with a double wrap of lead. And I have the 10% overdrive gears in the front. I think that really makes the difference. You could see the front tires flexing out and getting a good bite and pulling it’s way through. I thought the soft foam wouldn’t roll over too much on sidehills, and it did but they still got bite and never flipped me
All I am saying is I think the overdrive gears are worth the $35. I got the ssd od gears and 6 bolt locker
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:31 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Shouldn't be a high horse when we are talking about toy trucks 90% of us here are adults playing with toys, perfect I spend more time tinkering then I do playing with the bloody things, just no time to get out. Enjoy the process man, it's half the fun!
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yes that is the fun part...the build. The setup and the changes in the setup to make it crawl better or worse. What works for some doesn’t always work for others. Mostly because we all have different driving styles
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'm going the 4WS route, plus portals, so going to be using front axles front & rear. As the portals have 'built-in' OD capability, just by reversing the order of the portal gears, as well as a higher OD gear option, this raises an "interesting" question:

Which is the better/smarter/more efficient way to go? OD via gears in the axle housing? OD via the portals? Or, at stupid as this idea might sound (even to me), a combination of both?

Needless to say, I've never done 4WS before, so, I'm breaking into new territory here (as I enjoy doing).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Panther, dude, I love how you came on-scene like a minute ago (about the time I found this site, myself) and were instantly “all-in” and immediately trying to pull off all kinds of cool shit like the one you’re talking about here. Maybe I’ll try the same. And if this thread doesn’t get much more attention per your question, let’s raise the questions again in it’s own thread. I’m getting busy for a while with work but will always be checking back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I'm going the 4WS route, plus portals, so going to be using front axles front & rear. As the portals have 'built-in' OD capability, just by reversing the order of the portal gears, as well as a higher OD gear option, this raises an "interesting" question:

Panther said:
Which is the better/smarter/more efficient way to go? OD via gears in the axle housing? OD via the portals? Or, at stupid as this idea might sound (even to me), a combination of both?

Needless to say, I've never done 4WS before, so, I'm breaking into new territory here (as I enjoy doing).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 11-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnofDeath View Post
Panther, dude, I love how you came on-scene like a minute ago (about the time I found this site, myself) and were instantly “all-in” and immediately trying to pull off all kinds of cool shit like the one you’re talking about here. Maybe I’ll try the same. And if this thread doesn’t get much more attention per your question, let’s raise the questions again in it’s own thread. I’m getting busy for a while with work but will always be checking back.
I was one of those 10 year-olds that would do things like completely take apart my parents cassette tape recorder, piece-by-piece, and then put it back together. "On the side", I've been custom-building computers (primarily for gaming) for people for 25+ years. That should give you an idea into the inner-workings of my mind - there's a lot crammed in there (probably, more than there should be), but it's constantly on-the-move.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newb learns some things about AR44 axles, lol. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd portal axles for axial ar44 axles scx10 ii soze General Crawlers 1 06-04-2019 02:12 AM
Ar44 axles or vp axles with mounted servo Johan_Eriksson 1.9 Scale Rigs 9 10-29-2017 01:00 PM
Im still a newb. lol BEELZEBOB Newbie General 6 07-23-2009 01:19 PM
vid: lol.... kids say the darndest things NeXt559 Chit Chat 7 01-18-2009 06:31 PM