RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX10 II (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx10-ii/)
-   -   Desert Lizard Shocks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx10-ii/612950-desert-lizard-shocks.html)

Ranger1996 11-04-2019 09:42 PM

Desert Lizard Shocks

I have been looking to upgrade my rigs stock leaky and plastic shocks for a while now, and was wondering if anyone has any expirience with the Desert Lizard shocks? They are $23.99 for a set of 2 including springs and hardware, which makes me feel like I would be getting a pretty good deal. I read that the traxxas trx4 shocks are the best out there but I thought I might try something different because I already have a trx4 sport. All responses are appreciated. Thank you.

GrimmTheTourist 11-05-2019 05:36 AM

Re: Desert Lizard Shocks

I don't know the desert lizard shocks. So I can't comment on them.

The gmade rsd or xd shocks are really good and a very good deal in my opinion. Available with or without piggyback.

I also run the trx4 shocks on two rigs. They are good but I would not say the best. The enduro sendero shocks are also really smooth.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1004 mit Tapatalk

cinkoutdoors 11-05-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimmTheTourist (Post 5975158)
I don't know the desert lizard shocks. So I can't comment on them.

The gmade rsd or xd shocks are really good and a very good deal in my opinion. Available with or without piggyback.

I also run the trx4 shocks on two rigs. They are good but I would not say the best. The enduro sendero shocks are also really smooth.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1004 mit Tapatalk

I just ordered trx4 shocks are stock scx 10 2 screws long enough?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ranger1996 11-05-2019 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinkoutdoors (Post 5975171)
I just ordered trx4 shocks are stock scx 10 2 screws long enough?

Where did you order them from? Could you provide me with a link please?

cinkoutdoors 11-05-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger1996 (Post 5975198)
Where did you order them from? Could you provide me with a link please?

eBay $60 for all 4.

cmontgomery 11-05-2019 12:26 PM

I have the Desert Lizard shocks on my Ascender and like them. I run them in the droop setup. soft/soft spring combo all around. 20wt oil in the rear, no oil up front. Climbs like a goat now and no torque twist, I was going around other rigs on a tough climb last week. After heckling them by running up and down it, I just pushed them up to the top with it. Not the best for high speed work, but still WAY less tippy than stock.

Ranger1996 11-05-2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmontgomery (Post 5975259)
I have the Desert Lizard shocks on my Ascender and like them. I run them in the droop setup. soft/soft spring combo all around. 20wt oil in the rear, no oil up front. Climbs like a goat now and no torque twist, I was going around other rigs on a tough climb last week. After heckling them by running up and down it, I just pushed them up to the top with it. Not the best for high speed work, but still WAY less tippy than stock.

What is "droop setup"? And also I'm not sure how spring rates and shock weight oil impacts the way the truck drives. If you wouldn't mind outlining that for me I would appreciate it.

cmontgomery 11-05-2019 08:58 PM

I am too stupid to post a picture, so here goes. The internal spring shocks do not have a collar to adjust ride height. instead you use 2 springs, 1 on either side of the shock piston or both on one side to set ride height. I drop the short spring into the shock body (this is the spring supporting the truck). Then in goes the piston/shaft, then a long spring, then the cap. If this is too low for you, you can swap the springs around. This way you have spring preventing the shock from extending. You get less bound up in the rough and less likely to loop out going uphill.

Shock oil controls damping rate, bigger number is thicker and slows the response down. Thinner makes it rebound faster, maybe too fast for your needs. You will need to experiment to find what works.

dirtman71 11-06-2019 01:25 AM

Droop in simple terms is how far your shocks compress at static ride hight. Pick up you rig and measure how much shock shaft is showing when your shock is fully extended.
Then set you rig down and let it settle in. Measure how much shock shaft is showing. If it is 1/2 as much your at a 50/50 droop. Most like to run a 60/40. Some like a full droop. Where shocks are fully compressed. This is adjusted by softer or stiffer spring rates and by adjusting the collars on the shocks
For me no droop is bad, very stiff and bouncy. Biggest problem is when one side is compressed and the low side is already fully extended and you need to drop the low side off something the axle can’t drop any lower, it’s fully extended. Sorry now the whole chassis needs to drop and lean which could cause a roll over