Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: First time Scx10.2 owner, looking for advice on mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 04:39 PM   #1

Default First time Scx10.2 owner, looking for advice on mods

Hi, everyone. I recently got my first crawler, the Scx10.2 RTR Cherokee. So far, I'm loving it and I've already done a few decent things to it, namely SSD steel beadlocks, Xtra Speed metal axles and the GRC Inner fenders + rear chassis plate. I'm planning to do a very scale accurate and realistic build somewhat modeled after an actual Cherokee I used to own, but more how I wanted to build it up. I've got a TRC hard body already that needs painted when time affords and weather improves, but I want to go much deeper than just cosmetics.

First off, the drivetrain and suspension, the meat and potatoes. I really want to make it a leaf spring setup in the rear, but haven't seen anything "off the shelf" as a kit form to do so. Tried using the search bar on here, but I dunno if it's broken as nothing but ad links came up. I've read on other forums and even Facebook pages that people who've done so used TF2 parts? Being so new to the crawler side of RC, I wouldn't really know where or what to begin with.

After that, I'd like to find something that moves the motor forward over the axle and lets me use a scale looking engine and transmission combo, maybe even a scale t-case as well. Again, haven't found much and I'll chalk it up to not looking hard enough in the right places Other than that stuff, I don't have mind else in mind for now, but I intend to find and sink money into new parts all the time. Hey, just like a real Jeep!
_Kodiak_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First time Scx10.2 owner, looking for advice on mods

I got a raw builders kit with that body painted white.

One of the best upgrades for looks AND performance I did was the SSD front and rear bumpers along with the sliders, all built for that body and fit it perfectly.

Can't think of anything that would fit it that well.

Here's some pics for reference.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:20 AM   #3

I’m a new SCX10.2 owner myself and like you was interested in making it look more scale “under the hood” and found this

https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-...d00300/p947552

Im sure parts are adaptable from it, just haven’t looked deep into it yet... And for rear leaf conversion, I have no first hand experience with it but from what I’ve seen on forums and YouTube there are many slightly different ways to go about it. Not that there isn’t one but I have not seen a complete kit already put together for the SCX10.2 yet it looks very easy.

This may even have everything needed https://www.amainhobbies.com/gmade-g...a30041/p487770
wilgarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Kodiak_ View Post
First off, the drivetrain and suspension, the meat and potatoes. I really want to make it a leaf spring setup in the rear, but haven't seen anything "off the shelf" as a kit form to do so. Tried using the search bar on here, but I dunno if it's broken as nothing but ad links came up. I've read on other forums and even Facebook pages that people who've done so used TF2 parts? Being so new to the crawler side of RC, I wouldn't really know where or what to begin with.
Hi,
Here are two options from shape ways:
1: Dion aka Mrcommad https://www.shapeways.com/product/CU...li=marketplace
2: RC Fab Designs https://www.shapeways.com/product/PR...li=marketplace

I used Mrcommad's...fits great (note that the mounts are made for the two piece axles) however I think I need to get/make longer main springs than the RC4WD ones as they aren't long enough to make the (RC4WD) shackles sit angled back while at rest.
rustyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Scale motor https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223565987333

Pretty sure there are better scale parts that can be adapted to it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:20 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies, guys! Lots of good info and parts to look into I'm really liking the RC Fab parts there, but the description on shapeways says the wheelbase is under 12 inches, like 11 5/8 I think? Hopefully I just read it wrong because that one looks promising to me.
_Kodiak_ is offline   Reply With Quote

First time Scx10.2 owner, looking for advice on mods - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First time RS10 owner, need advice scottgir Redcat Crawlers 1 12-18-2011 05:36 AM
Its motor time!!And esc time as well,,,,ADVICE PLZ Speed Metal Army RC4WD Bully 11 03-15-2010 10:23 PM
New AX-10 owner!!! Need advice! kirktcashalini Newbie General 13 08-10-2008 04:41 PM
Proud owner of a new ax10 (First Mods?) jc052685 Newbie General 24 04-25-2008 06:08 AM
New Maxx Owner & First Couple Mods... RANOVRU Traxxas Crawlers 25 02-06-2006 09:52 AM