Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Suspension? Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 01:57 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Suspension? Issue

So I've spent the last 3 or 4 nights searching for anything related to my problem and haven't been able to find anything. I'd say its torque twist but it's almost like the opposite. When I'm moving forward the right front corner drops down and when I come to a stop it goes back to normal height. It doesn't effect any crawling I do. The truck actually crawls perfect how I want it to. But it's getting annoying seeing that corner dropping like that when I'm not crawling. I don't remember any of my previous trucks doing this and I can't really think of what would be causing this. Any ideas would be great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
TIREBUSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Suspension? Issue

Torque twist is the force applied to the chassis from the driveline. It's pushing clockwise from where the rear driveline hits the tranny pretty much. So up on one side and down on the other. Taking off slower, Sway bars, stiffer shocks and lower axle gears help

Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:23 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Torque twist is the force applied to the chassis from the driveline. It's pushing clockwise from where the rear driveline hits the tranny pretty much. So up on one side and down on the other. Taking off slower, Sway bars, stiffer shocks and lower axle gears help

Going slow it still dips down hard on that front corner. Definitely don't want stiffer shocks. I love where it's at. I've thought about gearing but not for this reason. I was gonna do the boom racing gears in the front eventually. I wouldnt be opposed to a sway bar either. I'll give one or the other a shot and see what turns out

Old 01-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
I run my 10ii with soft spring, a ton of droop, and you should see that front corner come up on steep climbs under good traction. It has yet to interfere with the rig's ability to track straight and be placed within a millimeter of where I want it.

I lean into it and make growling bear sounds. :-)

I'm gonna have to try some sounds and see if It will do anything for me!! I've always ran soft springs as well but not a ton of droop. But I dont have any problem with coming up under good traction. Everything stays planted really good maybe due to the amount of weight I run

Old 04-26-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

A couple months old, but ...

My brother has a Redcat Gen 8 that does this, only it's the driver side front, and you can tell it gets worse with acceleration. When you stomp the gas from a stop, you can really see that driver front corner get twisted downwards. It is kind of upsetting when running down the paved road or on a flat trail, cause it loses realism real quick. But, as mentioned by the OP, crawling rocks stumps whatever you never notice it and it does an amazing job (as good as my TRX4 in almost all lines we run). If I goose my TRX4, I can see it happen on it too, but the TRX4 doesn't drop quite as low and seems to rebound a tad more after the initial acceleration.

So I bring this thread back to life to ask ... would a slightly stiffer spring on that corner, or more/less oil in that shock help without changing the crawl messing up the crawl too much? I assume it's the old "money or horsepower" dilemma, any change here is gonna effect change there.

And sway bar was mentioned - never seen but haven't looked, is there such a thing? Or do you custom fab? Where does a sway bar mount on a portal axle 3 link front end? Anyone got pics of this?

Also I think the Gen 8 has a tad longer wheelbase - maybe that plays into the dynamics?

Last edited by vf750rider; 04-26-2020 at 06:35 PM.
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The front shouldn't drop under acceleration. Weight shifts to the back which lifts the nose...the body may twist sideways due to torque twist, but it shouldn't be more noticeable in the front.

Sounds more like a binding issue to me. Wheel rubbing somewhere, bent axle, something like that. That can cause all kinds of odd effects.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I agree with OCRC...

I had a similar issue when running wheels that rubbed on the knuckle. The front would squat under power, unlike the typical torque twist.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i agree with ocrc too that was the first thing i thought too when i read the original post

my gen8 the wheel hex was to small and rubbed the axle housing creating drag

try loosening the wheel nut just a hair there could be a bad or missing bearing too or a bent inner axle shaft just keep taking parts off till you find the problem

Last edited by ferp420; 04-27-2020 at 10:28 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspension? Issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10ii Honcho Suspension Issue(s) DeadBattery Axial SCX10 II 5 05-24-2019 09:16 PM
Steering linkage/suspension issue Fishcharger RC4WD Trail Finder 2 4 09-26-2017 04:24 PM
G6 kit front suspension issue? idaho General Crawlers 5 02-11-2014 06:27 PM
Suspension issue, rear turning when flexed out JTTG Newbie General 13 11-03-2009 02:23 PM
suspension issue I think??? fisherkip Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 10-15-2009 01:47 PM