Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Roll Scale Scx10.2 IFS kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #1

Default Roll Scale Scx10.2 IFS kit

Anyone seen these? Metal IFS kit for SCX10.2

https://m.facebook.com/rollscale/

I saw these a few weeks ago and they posted a teaser a few days ago. And appear to be taking orders

I think it looks pretty neat and I'm kinda tempted.
But I don't really know anything

It's a bit pricey, I asked for a price and they gave US$186+ $12 shipping. Presumably from China, so might incur duty charges

I'd like to hear what more seasoned tiny truckers think. Aside from the obvious one that ifs ain't so good for crawling

Anything that obviously stands out as trouble with this?

OGTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Roll Scale Scx10.2 IFS kit

I realize this uses parts that are similar to those found on off-road RCs (for example, Traxxas Slash/Rustler 4x4), but I'm wondering if the steering knuckles/blocks attach to the C-hubs using arms equal in dimensions to the SCX10.2...and, if so, would it be possible to replace them with something like the SSD portal knuckles.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It is the same width as the SCXII and the SCX, both ~192mm. Been messaging with them.

The price is what is for what it is. I was going to buy a kit but about 12mm too wide for my build. I made an IFS SCX back in 2012 and it was a ton of a work. $198 shipped for this setup is fine.

Only thing I don't like is the lack of a skid from the IFS to the center transmission skid. But that could made.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
It is the same width as the SCXII and the SCX, both ~192mm. Been messaging with them.

The price is what is for what it is. I was going to buy a kit but about 12mm too wide for my build. I made an IFS SCX back in 2012 and it was a ton of a work. $198 shipped for this setup is fine.

Only thing I don't like is the lack of a skid from the IFS to the center transmission skid. But that could made.
That's what I thought about the price. I've been looking at how to hack up some IFS but once you start buying bits (I don't really any spare stuff) it adds up and is getting beyond what I can do with the tools I have.

I'd seen your build while researching it, it was nice! But beyond my abilities
Old 01-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This is good info, tho it doesn't answer the question I raised. Maybe it was my wording (which, I know, I don't always word things the best possible way), so I'll try asking a different way.

With the steering knuckles included in this kit, are they designed in such a way that, if someone wanted, they could mount the standard SCX10.2 knuckles onto these parts? And, likewise, would these steering knuckles be able to be mounted into the stock SCX10.2 axles?

Not saying I'd be doing either of these, but, in having the answers to these two questions, that would give a good indication as to whether, it not, the SSD portal steering knuckles would fit into this kit.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 01-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
This is good info, tho it doesn't answer the question I raised. Maybe it was my wording (which, I know, I don't always word things the best possible way), so I'll try asking a different way.

With the steering knuckles included in this kit, are they designed in such a way that, if someone wanted, they could mount the standard SCX10.2 knuckles onto these parts? And, likewise, would these steering knuckles be able to be mounted into the stock SCX10.2 axles?

Not saying I'd be doing either of these, but, in having the answers to these two questions, that would give a good indication as to whether, it not, the SSD portal steering knuckles would fit into this kit.

I don't have an answer to that. Best to message them for those questions.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I don't have an answer to that. Best to message them for those questions.
Not sure why u didn't think of that...duh...lol. My excuse (and I'm sticking with it) is, "my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet". Anyway, thanks for the suggestion...just sent them a message. Will see what the reply is, and whether (or not) these might work in the build I'm currently planning. Currently, I have three chassis/transmission combos I'm considering.

First is the VP VS4-10 chassis & VFD trans w/ TRX4 portals. The second is the TRX-4 Sport Kit & AX10-style 3-gear trans. The third (which this IFS kit could work nicely with) is an SCX10.2 or SSD Trail King & AX10-style 3-gear trans. The 2nd & 3rd options would use the SSD portals Whichever of these I were to go with, they'd all be paired up with the VP Hurtz dig (VFD version for the VFD, V2 version for the AX10).

Obviously, only the third option would be compatible with this IFS kit...but, in order to know if it's even worth considering, I need to find out if the steering knuckles are compatible (mounting-wise) with the stock SCX10.2 steering knuckles. Whatever the reply, I'll post their FB Messenger reply in here, so that others who might consider the same thing will know.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

See this link for their original idea back in October, when it was still all-aluminum:

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/teaser-ro...xial-scx10-ii/
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
See this link for their original idea back in October, when it was still all-aluminum:

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/teaser-ro...xial-scx10-ii/
Yea, I read that one about a month or two ago. Wasn't even remotely interested, because of the aluminum A-arms. They've since made enough changes that it could be worth it.

Old 01-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I want an Axial RTR IFS scale rig.

I’ll be over here waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:23 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Pros and cons of IFS vs Solid Axle...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
sawhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 04:26 AM   #12

After posting this I sat on it for a days and ended up ordering one.

I've just had the tracking information come through. It's shipping from Hong Kong via DHL. Annoyingly DHL are quite good for collecting duty. But I'll report back when I've got it in hand
Old 01-19-2020, 04:51 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGTrout View Post
After posting this I sat on it for a days and ended up ordering one.

I've just had the tracking information come through. It's shipping from Hong Kong via DHL. Annoyingly DHL are quite good for collecting duty. But I'll report back when I've got it in hand
Hopefully, there's nothing "extra". Will be awaiting your updates (receiving, "extra" cost, and build).

Btw, in regards to the question I had previously brought up (whether, or not, the kit could accept standard SCX10.2 steering knuckles), as I mentioned, I had messaged them. Interestingly, they never bothered to reply back. As far as I'm concerned, they're not exactly off to a good start where customer service in concerned. If a customer asks a very simple question, and they ignore it, that didn't exactly instill confidence in their product, or the company.

Last edited by Panther6834; 01-19-2020 at 05:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:04 AM   #14

Got hit by the import duty, £45 in total. 20% tax, and a few extra goodies for DHL I guess. DHL reckons it'll be delivered Thursday, and in typical fashion I go away a few days for work on Thursday so probably won't get a look in till Sunday.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 AM   #15

It's a very cool kit, but too much money for me to want to spend on it to play with it. I'm anxious to see what people think of it and do with it though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Got hit by the import duty, £45 in total. 20% tax, and a few extra goodies for DHL I guess. DHL reckons it'll be delivered Thursday, and in typical fashion I go away a few days for work on Thursday so probably won't get a look in till Sunday.

I'm looking forward to your impressions once you receive and review the kit.
Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Wonder if there would be any "import duty" into the U.S., and, if so, how much.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

First batch sold out, so clearly there is interest.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
First batch sold out, so clearly there is interest.
I'm not surprised. People have been begging for a bolt-on IFS option for years now.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Folks can make their own IFS setup on an SCX or similar frame setup. Get an HPI RS4 touring car front end and with some simple tools/simple brackets bolt it on. I did it all in my shop back in 2012 with no fancy tools. I had a friend help me weld a skidplate (before I learned to weld). But probably more time efficient to buy a kit. haha.
Uses the same gears as the SCX, just have to flip the rear axle. Width is almost spot on too. Main limiting factor is getting good front shafts for "crawling" .

Szczerba's IFS SCX Build

Roll Scale Scx10.2 IFS kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IFS kit for Wraith Blue Monkey RC Chassis and Suspension 288 01-08-2019 01:35 PM
Ssd scale transmission kit for scx10 danel General Scale Talk 1 09-05-2017 12:09 PM
has anyone used the New Blue MOnkey IFS kit dybbob Axial Wraith 0 03-14-2014 11:49 PM