Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SSD AR44 gear set binding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default SSD AR44 gear set binding

I just installed a overdrive and regular set of SSD gear sets in my AR44 axles and have a lot of binding. I have the diff cover bolts pretty much completely loose just to get them to spin and even then there is a lot of tight spots. There are a couple reviews on Amain with this problem and I was wondering if there was a fix or if the gear sets are just this way??

Just for reference I’m using SSD lockers, SSD shafts, Beef tubes ar44 housings, strc covers, fast eddy bearings and vanquish grease.
derteracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SSD AR44 gear set binding

I've installed a couple sets of these without issues.

Biggest thing during install is shimming them correctly.

SSD aren't nearly as sloppy as some other gear sets and definitely need to be more precise in installation.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

What would I shim? I could maybe get a shim to move the ring away from pinion but as soon as I tighten the cover slightly it smash the gears together and I can’t spin them.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

You would shim the pinion and/or the ring gears so they mesh properly with no movement.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Well I would either have to shave the case or pinion to get the proper mesh. Shimming it in will only make it worse. Shimming the ring doesn’t do much at all. If you tighten the cover bolts even just the slightest the pinion is too deep and binds it all.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Defective case maybe? Not sure beyond my usual fitment, it's worked fine on the stock ar44 cases as well as pro44s.

I've done a set of each overdrive and standard in both types of cases, shimmed them exactly the same as stock and never an issue.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I’ve had stock in both the housings without issue. The issue is beyond shimming. I’m not the only one with this issue. I guess just get another stock set
Old 02-08-2020, 12:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Stock gears need 3 to 4 times the shims as the SSD gears. They're definitely a lot pickier about installation environment verses the stock gears, just manufactured to a much tighter tolerance.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Remove any washers on the neck of the pinion. Remove any shims from the back side of the ring, where there is no teeth. That's as loose as it will get. Make sure there is no junk under the pinion bearing making it ride high.

Clean grease from the housing and put a light coat of viable opaque grease like marine grease. Install carefully to not get grease on case. Install cover.

Spin it a few times my hand then carefully disassemble. Look for grease rub spots in incorrect places.

Old 02-20-2020, 02:25 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Stock gears need 3 to 4 times the shims as the SSD gears. They're definitely a lot pickier about installation environment verses the stock gears, just manufactured to a much tighter tolerance.
What size shims are you using for both ring gear and pinion?

Are they something I can get at RPP or Amain? I stopped by my LHS and they had nothing.

Last edited by RCTom; 02-24-2020 at 02:01 PM.
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Sometimes when you combine a lot of aftermarket parts, they don't always play well together. Any aftermarket part is designed to fit the stock tolerances, so when you've got a bunch thrown in there, something might be a bit off. You've got SSD, BT, STRC, etc. Lots going on there.

Try the stock diff cover, axle housing, etc... basically mix and match around and see what fits best. Those gears might play better with some of the stock parts.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:31 AM   #12
SSD
RCC Addict

One of the main issues is that Axial housings are different as they have changed design and suppliers over the last few years.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #13
Gold Star Baby!

Two suggestions.

Try with stock diff cover
Try with stock pinion gear

Like others have said, the SSD tolerances seem tighter which makes them not play as well with the variations of aftermarket axles available. I couldn’t get them to work in a VP housing but the same gears fit perfect in a SSD housing. For your beef tubes axle, I think they reuse the stock housing so your center section should be the same as stock.

If none of that works, maybe consider getting the ssd pro44 axle housing? At $25 it’s a good value and may have a little more weight than your beef tubes housing, and the ssd gears should work just fine in there.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote

SSD AR44 gear set binding - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ssd axle gear set for scx10 ii Say what? Axial SCX10 II 2 06-08-2017 10:25 AM
New SSD SCX10 II Axle Gear Set & Knuckle Bushing - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 3 06-05-2017 05:21 PM
SSD HD Steel Transmission Gear Set - Coming Soon! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-18-2017 04:24 PM
Gear binding issue: Axial Dingo aluminum link set on Honcho chasis FreedomRiding Axial SCX-10 2 07-26-2012 04:55 PM