Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Stock springs stiffnes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2020, 04:04 AM   #1

Default Stock springs stiffnes

Hello,

My Deadbolt came with yellow springs in the front and white for the rear. I question this as when articulating only the rear compress and after the rear goes through all the compression travel, only then the front starts to compress.

Is it desirable? why did Axial setup it this way?

I moved to a little softer springs for the front (Green) but while the situation is better, the rear still goes through the travel much sooner than the front, I'm now thinking of trying putting white in the front to make them comparable, thinking it may be better to have both the rear and the front compress together.

What do you think?
Yonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2020, 05:13 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Stock springs stiffnes

The front has to be harder than the rear. If the front compress too fast, you will do a front flip while moving down slopes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
The front has to be harder than the rear. If the front compress too fast, you will do a front flip while moving down slopes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Hmmmm . . . . . I always thought the rear springs should be stiffer than the front - prevents the rear from compressing when climbing and causing back flips. I guess there is a fine line between what works best for up and down. Maybe weighted front changes what I've been doing.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:53 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Axial did that because of battery relocation and chassis mounted servo. Most of the weight is shifted forward now. Compare to SCX10 1st generation with same springs front and rear. Plus stock panhard link is hitting axle pumpkin limiting front suspension travel. So yellow front white rear is very reasonable configuration. I ordered softer and stiffer sets of springs with my SCX10 II kit and experimented with all kinds of combinations. Turned out it was a waste of time. Stock setup works better. Probably yellow front green rear gives more balanced suspension, good for trailing and not so good for crawling.

Last edited by nersik; 03-04-2020 at 04:00 AM.
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:33 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The "newer" springs on my Mog seem to be made from very lite material. I honestly didn't realize Axial offered different spring setups, old dogs can learn new tricks I will have to do some more research on this. I wonder if older SCX springs would work on the newer shocks? *EDIT* Are the springs actually painted the colors on the rate chart or do they have just a paint mark, I can only remember kit springs being White and maybe gray. This is my first V.2 SCX, have had a ton of older SCXs Thanks.

Last edited by Big Bill; 03-05-2020 at 07:40 AM.
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Stock springs stiffnes - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CC01 stock springs raymate Tamiya XC/CC01 3 08-11-2014 06:56 AM
shorter stock springs bigjhoov Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 13 07-20-2009 12:06 PM
Stock Springs Hordsak Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 04-05-2008 06:46 PM
Stock Springs Swiss Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 11-22-2007 11:44 AM