Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Transmission blew up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #1

Default Transmission blew up

So I blew up my stock transmission today in one of my trucks. So I ran down to RPP and picked up a Hot Racing complete transmission ran home and slapped it in. Not impressed. My other Scx10ii with stock transmission really outperforms it. And it is super noisy! What is a good aftermarket transmission that isn’t super expensive? Or is it better to rebuild my old stock one? I have not been around many rscx10ii rigs that have a lot of major aftermarket parts. Besides shocks and servos and basic stuff. What do you guys think?
3030hoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

Default Re: Transmission blew up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3030hoyle View Post
So I blew up my stock transmission today in one of my trucks. So I ran down to RPP and picked up a Hot Racing complete transmission ran home and slapped it in. Not impressed. My other Scx10ii with stock transmission really outperforms it. And it is super noisy! What is a good aftermarket transmission that isn’t super expensive? Or is it better to rebuild my old stock one? I have not been around many rscx10ii rigs that have a lot of major aftermarket parts. Besides shocks and servos and basic stuff. What do you guys think?
Benedict transmission from Amazon is decent replacement for the stock trans, but it eliminates the slipper clutch.

been using it in my MT scx10ii and its holding up to me bashing it and racing it everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
hammergunner2963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I rebuilt all my SCX transmissions with helical cut gears. XtraSpeed & Team Raffee make sets for both the Kit & RTR transmissions. I’ve got tons of run time and 2 Axialfests on all my SCXs, and they’re smooth & quiet.

The helical gears allow for a larger contact area between gear teeth, which makes for a stronger gear mesh. They’re all metal gears, so the first few runs will be a little noisy, but once everything’s run in they quiet down. I still run a plastic spur gear on all the transmissions. It’s an intentional “weak link” to save the rest of the transmission if something binds up. It’s also easier to access & replace vs an internal gear.

These are what I used:
https://www.asiatees.com/display?Axi...d=114580&pid=1

https://www.rcmart.com/xtra-speed-45...30081-00073208
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan13 View Post
I rebuilt all my SCX transmissions with helical cut gears. XtraSpeed & Team Raffee make sets for both the Kit & RTR transmissions. I’ve got tons of run time and 2 Axialfests on all my SCXs, and they’re smooth & quiet.

The helical gears allow for a larger contact area between gear teeth, which makes for a stronger gear mesh. They’re all metal gears, so the first few runs will be a little noisy, but once everything’s run in they quiet down. I still run a plastic spur gear on all the transmissions. It’s an intentional “weak link” to save the rest of the transmission if something binds up. It’s also easier to access & replace vs an internal gear.

These are what I used:
https://www.asiatees.com/display?Axi...d=114580&pid=1

https://www.rcmart.com/xtra-speed-45...30081-00073208
Right on ! Thank you !
Old 03-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have had great sucess with rpp gears in my transmissions...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 06:30 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

What “blew up “?
If you had plastic gears, update.
I’ve run 3 or 4 different 3gear trans, all about same ..... My VP looks the best, but all are geared the same and work the same

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
What “blew up “?
If you had plastic gears, update.
I’ve run 3 or 4 different 3gear trans, all about same ..... My VP looks the best, but all are geared the same and work the same

Hang up and Drive
Sorry should have elaborated. The plastic gears stripped out to where they almost smooth. What caused it was my 4 year old was crawling around and he nosed up to a rock that he could not get up and instead of readjusting he hammered it.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3030hoyle View Post
Sorry should have elaborated. The plastic gears stripped out to where they almost smooth. What caused it was my 4 year old was crawling around and he nosed up to a rock that he could not get up and instead of readjusting he hammered it.

Get the replacement metal gears, you should be set. Even axial metal gears will be fine.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote

Transmission blew up - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blew my driveshaft MeanTT Axial Yeti 4 12-28-2014 09:51 PM
Blew up the yeti already m1009cucv Axial Yeti 2 09-22-2014 11:29 AM
I think my ESC just blew johnnyh66 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 13 12-17-2010 08:25 PM
I Think I blew it BJoe Electronics 5 08-12-2007 06:15 PM