Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Newly Built! Mod Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Newly Built! Mod Advice

Hi All,

Just built my Scx10 II rock crawler which was a fun build.

My plan is to drive it on my buddies rock crawler courses for a while to get a feel for how it drives stock however i wanted to see what my next mods should be for performance?

I'm using old electronics (spares) GTB2 novak and sonic 17.5T sensored motor. IT works well and i've been messing with the tunning / gearing.

Shocks/Springs: So i've been reading and i have plastic shocks which... seems to work but i have spare t5m shocks (12mm big bore AE) which from eye to eye i am reading 90mm...

If i do use the above... any advice on shock weight and spring? Will this be a good upgrade down the line?

I have a background in indoor clay racing but... rock crawler is brand new and fun to me.

I read a little about adding weights...

Thanks for any input

Last edited by food2000; 03-25-2020 at 07:46 PM.
food2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 05:17 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newly Built! Mod Advice

Weighted knuckles are a nice upgrade, you can tackle steeper inclines with more weight up front.

If those shocks physically fit they might be worth running, almost anything is better then the old Axial shocks. How large are they (diameter)? EDIT: now i see it 12mm, thats fine I have some that size.
For shock oil 15-45 is common, and the spring should probably be on the soft side, something that provides some droop.

You already have good tires it looks like, last thing I'd want is good electronics but that depends on how much you want to spend. Good electronics typically provide much finer control and adjustability and potentially more torque and wheelspeed (depending on the motor).

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 03-23-2020 at 05:33 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Weighted knuckles are a nice upgrade, you can tackle steeper inclines with more weight up front.

If those shocks physically fit they might be worth running, almost anything is better then the old Axial shocks. How large are they (diameter)? EDIT: now i see it 12mm, thats fine I have some that size.
For shock oil 15-45 is common, and the spring should probably be on the soft side, something that provides some droop.

You already have good tires it looks like, last thing I'd want is good electronics but that depends on how much you want to spend. Good electronics typically provide much finer control and adjustability and potentially more torque and wheelspeed (depending on the motor).

I'll def add weights in front, i might do the weights inside the tires first and then later on add the knuckles.

Yeah, the stuff i have is at least sensored but i do know they are OLD... maybe down the line.

Also... why the heck are the bumper mods so expensive!! $50ish +/-.. they do look really nice but dang.

LED lighting kits look cool too...
Old 03-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Generally folks prefer knuckles because a weighted wheel is rotating mass where a knuckle is not, but both will work.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Generally folks prefer knuckles because a weighted wheel is rotating mass where a knuckle is not, but both will work.

ah, good to know.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:02 PM   #6

Welcome to the site! Great looking truck!

Please resize those photos. They should not be larger than 1200 x 1200. Thank you.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:45 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

An update in case someone is researching, team associated t5m v2 big bore shocks on the scx10 ii didn't perform that great. main reason are the front are slightly shorter than the rears and even using the lightest springs.... front is too stiff.

I've tried a bunch of combinations of swapping the shock rod (from scx10 which are longer), different shock weight and even drilled holes in the piston... it just doesn't sit right and i learned quite a bit about torque twist... that is no bueno.

Ordering TRX4 GTS shocks... i am reading that's a good route to go.

Newly Built! Mod Advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newly built indoor course ajcloud Pennsylvania 0 04-03-2009 09:36 PM