Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Which trans?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Which trans?

So, after being on hiatus for a while, thinking the herd and sold a bunch of stuff off. I am building the SCX II kit I have though. Itís the kit, so has the kit trans. Iíve built more AX transmissions over the years I could do it blindfolded. So my inclination is to ditch the kit trans and build the olí reliable AX.

However, I did buy a Bowhouse trans kit and front battery brace, so I would flip the kit trans using that. Itís something different and new.

My question is this: is there a noticeable difference? Iím building this as a trail rig, not comps. Iíve got Wraiths to bash on, so I wonít be abusing it. Not sure if Iíll do brushless or brushed, but itíll be 3S and probably not a 2-speed.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Which trans?

All of my 10II's have 3 gear trans....

The Raw Builders Kit comes with the "new" 3 gear trans but the Umg, and cherokee kits have the newer style 2 spd upgradeable trans.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:52 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

If you wanted to ad a dig afterwards, the grey RTR-trans won't be an option, because the Vanquish dig doesen't fit there.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
ToCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I’m probably the great minority, but I use the kit trans and like it. You probably wouldn’t notice a difference between the two. I’m using a mamba x with Holmes puller pro 2700 on 3s and it has no problems handling the power. The only recommended upgrade is the vanquish top shaft. There is a bit of play with the stock one. I didn’t flip my Trans until recently due to swapping over to brazin chassis rails. The flipping of the trans is something I’m sorry I didn’t do from the get go. I definitely see the advantages to the flip now that I’ve done it. I see you got the bowhouse battery tray so you won’t need to trim your stock battery tray like I did. A gens ace tattu 2300 fits perfectly laying down in the stock tray. I haven’t got everything finished with my build, but I believe the motor rotation will need to be reversed which I will be able to do with the mamba x in the settings. I don’t use the 2 speed and I don’t comp either.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Perfect! Thanks! And I think it will give me a little more room to work on a more scale interior, as well. What the hell, give it a try and see, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghonda99 View Post
Iím probably the great minority, but I use the kit trans and like it. You probably wouldnít notice a difference between the two. Iím using a mamba x with Holmes puller pro 2700 on 3s and it has no problems handling the power. The only recommended upgrade is the vanquish top shaft. There is a bit of play with the stock one. I didnít flip my Trans until recently due to swapping over to brazin chassis rails. The flipping of the trans is something Iím sorry I didnít do from the get go. I definitely see the advantages to the flip now that Iíve done it. I see you got the bowhouse battery tray so you wonít need to trim your stock battery tray like I did. A gens ace tattu 2300 fits perfectly laying down in the stock tray. I havenít got everything finished with my build, but I believe the motor rotation will need to be reversed which I will be able to do with the mamba x in the settings. I donít use the 2 speed and I donít comp either.
zjguy721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Which kit trans are you talking about? Builders kit (silver) or the other (black).
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:55 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Iíd go for the AX trans, sell the new kit one and buy the AX one. You can also get the raw builders kit which comes with the og transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatJeeper2017 View Post
Iíd go for the AX trans, sell the new kit one and buy the AX one. You can also get the raw builders kit which comes with the og transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatís some pretty sound reasoning. Maybe a more detailed reason would be nice for the op.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've got Cherokee kit with 2-speed transmission and now I want AX transmission.
First of all it produces lots of noise. Probably because of SSD gear set I used to make it 2-speed.
Second the gear ratio is too low for me, especially lower gear (stock). I prefer 2S packs.
Third it is big, takes much space and motor mount is higher which rises center of gravity a little.
After 2+ years with this kit I see no point in 2-speed transmission. Over 99% of time I run high gear and switch to low just for fun.
Single speed AX transmission is the best: simple, reliable, compact size, lower center of gravity.
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote